Spark Dog

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed

1-Need a server.

2-Need that gay admin mod crap.

3-Read the read me that comes with it.

I'd like to see you create your own mod, shock ~ unnamed, instead of bashing other peoples work. If VA Mod and JA Mod are such crap, why are they the most world-wide used mod? I've got only two words for you and it isnt happy birthday:mad:

SparkDog: You can either download Vulcanus Adimin Mod, Jedi Academy Mod, or I think Omnimod has their own version of the empower command. When you log in as an admin, you can use the amempower <yourname> command to empower yourself.

Originally posted by zERoCooL2479

I'd like to see you create your own mod, shock ~ unnamed, instead of bashing other peoples work. If VA Mod and JA Mod are such crap, why are they the most world-wide used mod? I've got only two words for you and it isnt happy birthday:mad:

world-wide used mod? You Wish :D

VA/JA Mod is not the Most Used Mod its just the Most used Mod thats Server Side,but how many of those are there *counts* Oh Two! :rolleyes: The Mod is quite cheap IMO I mean yeah it allows server admins to control their servers using user-friendly admin commands,but most clans/server admins only use it to abuse power. Omnimod didnt have an empower command neither only two mods have cause its a really cheap command and everyone knows it :)

Originally posted by Prime

Empower is a little unfair though, isn't it?

Yes very unfair just a way for Hosts/Admins to actually be able to get kills while using that immune to force,infinite force,2x damage crap.

Originally posted by zERoCooL2479

Don't need to make one, perfectly happy with base JK2.

Why I dislike those mods:

Admin punishment functions.

These are noting more than petty little ego boosts for frustrated noob admins.

And don't give me any pre written response about "They are there to deal with lamers".

Just like that empowerment garbage everyone is complaining about, these functions are abused as commonly and no differently than an aimbot in a game of Counter-Strike.

I run a server in this game and have run them in others.

If I have a problem with a player I kick them.

If it continues I ban them.

Putting people to sleep, slapping them this is all petty self gratification for frustrated noobs who want punish players who actually *play JK2.

And as for popularity?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

99.9% of the people in this game today don't even play it.

They just stand around doing fruity little emotes and get their little Jedi panties in a bunch the second they encounter a person who actually wants to *play JK2.

So of course your mod is popular, it caters to non game playing noobs and that is what the vast majority of JK 2 players are at this point in the duration of the game.

Say, when you are waiting to duel someone on the Bespin pad while he's in another duel. Your standing there watching with your saber down and someone who has mind trick on dfa`s on ya then runs away and mid tircks again and gets someone else. Thats lame. When you are chatting and someone kills you, lame. There are accidents when poeple attack on accident. I dont punish people right away. i give them fair verbal warnings first, before I sleep them, then kick. I dont use empower much. I mostly use it when me and some guild members want to just fool around. But I unempower all the time before a duel. And when I amterminator, I do it to everyone and we all go at it. So I dont abuse these admin features.

-E

PS: Of course everyone has these on opinion and I`m alright with that.

Originally posted by jros1981

Say, when you are waiting to duel someone on the Bespin pad while he's in another duel. Your standing there watching with your saber down and someone who has mind trick on dfa`s on ya then runs away and mid tircks again and gets someone else. Thats lame. When you are chatting and someone kills you, lame.

*scans thru JKO Manual*

Nope doesnt say anything about attacking while saber is down or chatbox is up.....play the game dont just stand there thats your fault for being "lame" If you want to Duel Join a Dueling Server (Gametype:Duel)

Doint Join a FFA server and wait in line for your turn to duel on the pad in Bespin. Most people say Bespin Pad is the place to Duel I say you are wrong...on bespin FFA I force speed from Big Shield pickup area to pad turn speed off in mid-jump when I land I grab the nearest Guy and throw his Arse off the Pad...and its his fault for being that close to an edge...I mean he obviously must have wanted to jump or something why else fight so close to a cliff. FFA=Free for All aka Anything Goes Duel: Take Turns Dueling or some crap.

You know, I find that I must agree with Ronin and shock

While I do respect VAM and JA, I must say that these mods have greatly hurt the community. A good server admin does not need more than kick and ban functions. Granted, some would say "but I do not want to kick him, I just want to show him that he should play by the rules", however the commands are rarely used to do so, rather they are used when a player "breaks the saber code", which should never have existed in the first place.

None of these rules are written in MotD, you just see "No Laming", where Laming = anything, from just being good and killing the admin, to not complying to the yet again UNWRITTEN rules and playing the gametype as it was supposed to be playing. I am sure you will not see a Quake3 player complaining that this "lamer" used Railgun to kill him when he was carelessly spamming Rockets on another guy. However JK2 is implied to be the "Star Wars" game, thus people want to follow the "code of honor", and forget that essentially, JK2 is Quake3 with lightsabers. At least in this implementation of it.

Admin mod is good in the right hands. However nowadays 90% of the admins are "left-handed". And no, unlike you most think, kicking, DFA and even Backstab spam is not lame. Yes, it could be considered unfair to use because it's easy to execute and deadly at the same time, but THIS is how the game was done, and you would have to live with it...

Also, the current trend of "RPG" gaming sickens me. That's why when I ask for feedback on my mods I get the "we would like more emotes to enrich our RPG experience". Understand that to enable a particular emote, all is needed is 3 lines of code. Understand that all these emotes are just animations from the game that are unused in MP. Understand that for the mod developer, adding them means nothing of value. But, that's how the good mods die. Rarely you will see a SoS (Style over Substance) server. Instead you will see:

- VAM with emotes and overpowered admin commands

- JM (which is seen less, thanks to relative lack of these features and of course to the spinoffs that generated as a result of releasing the code)

- Spinoff of JM, usually OmniMOD or JediPlus with MORE emotes and useless overpowered admin commands

- JA, being a spinoff of VAM, providing even MORE relatively useless admin commands and even more emotes

See the trend? Emotes and Admin commands. Features that make people feel "powerful" and at the same time "True roleplayers". Features that are now despised by quite a bit of people in the actual modding community.

Note: this probably has repeated ideas, this was written in a messy way and I am in no way to be held responsible for any misintepretation of the above. However the base idea is clear - people NEED to move on. People should forget about useless features. People should PLAY the game, not RUIN the game and scare new people off (which at the moment is nicely done).

Say, when you are waiting to duel someone on the Bespin pad while he's in another duel. Your standing there watching with your saber down and someone who has mind trick on dfa`s on ya then runs away and mid tircks again and gets someone else. Thats lame. When you are chatting and someone kills you, lame.

Why on earth do people set up FFA servers just so they can duel? Why don't they set up duel servers? You have to realize, when people join FFA servers, they expect to play FFA games.

And I don't get this concept of "lame" that many people have. Really, the game itself is what should be enforcing the rules. Those should be the only rules that matter. IMO, saber down = peace is the worst thing that ever happened to this game.

Mind trick and then DFA, I'll have to remember that :)

PS: Of course everyone has these on opinion and I`m alright with that.

You got that right. And this topic in particular has started more flame wars than any other :)

The JA Mod was written with the needs of the Jedi Academy in mind. It suits our needs quite well, in fact. Zerocool figured other people could use these features so he released it to the community. If you don't like then mod then please don't play on any JA Mod servers. It's that simple.

The admin commands like empower, punish, etc are quite useful in the hands of a mature server admin. Don't blame the mod if a lame admin decides to abuse these commands.

How about instead of being all negative and bashing someone's hard work you give a little constructive criticism. All the mindless flaming, as is evident in this thread is what hurts the community, not a user's choice of server mods.

Well if the mod is properly used by 3 out of 479 admins, great.

But the fact remains the overwhelming majority of servers running these mods simply use the admin functions no differently than client side hacks.

They only use them to annoy and ridicule players and to gain an advantage in combat.

I truly get numerous e-mails a day, whether its tech support or ideas from others that they see would be "cool" in the next version. I simply tried to do whatever the community wanted and so far I received some pretty good feedback on obtaining most of those requests. Now is that really such a bad thing? What they do with the mod is obviously up to them.

However, if you've ever played on a server where they're are some decently mannered people that dont kill you when your trying to talk to someone aboiut something than you will see that the admin commands are not there to only punish the non admins. Sometimes we use them for fun. Training exercises against an empowered client is a very good example on the kind of cool things we do in the JA.

:)

Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed

But the fact remains the overwhelming majority of servers running these mods simply use the admin functions no differently than client side hacks.

They only use them to annoy and ridicule players and to gain an advantage in combat.

If you dont like the server then don't play there. Better yet.. post it's IP so the rest of us know this particular suerver sucks.

*scans threw 16,478 Server IPs written on a piece of paper*

*checks curretn server* Damn that one has lame Admins too!

Post the IP lol seriously who keeps a notebook full of IPs with lamers and admin abusers. There is no such thing as a mature Admin....at least Ive never seen one before. No offense to your "hard work" (which was just adding a few minor addons to someone elses code) But your mod is never used in the right way. People who cant win use it and when you kill them they abuse admin powers. If you want suggestions for the next version make it so there are no admin commands and just a MOTD with the Rules of the server and if someone doesnt follow rules you can use the /amkick command (the only real wworthy admin command)

No offense to anyone, this is not directed towards any specific person but just a generalization.

That said, it never ceases to amaze me just how far out of touch the people who post here are with the vast majority of public JK2 gaming.

Maybe it’s the way people tend to self-isolate themselves on one to two servers, but a lot of you are clueless to say the least.

Post the IP of “lamer admin” servers?

How about this:

Filter out all the admin mod servers and try to find me a ½ dozen (out of several hundred) that you can *actually go on and *play without out being slapped or put to sleep when an admin is present.

And by play I simply mean:

\connect XX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Join game

Start fighting

True “FFA” servers are as common as “Holocron” game type servers, oh sure 75% of the servers are running in the FFA game type but don’t you dare try to actually play FFA on an admin mod one.

Slapped.

Sleep.

Bunny.

Choked.

And like Ronin_Medjai said, while I can sing the praises of your coding ability all day, the fact remains what you provide to the public is nothing more than a glorified client side hack that people abuse to gain the upper hand when they encounter an opponent they are unable to kill on their own.

Originally posted by NerfYoda

If you dont like the server then don't play there. Better yet.. post it's IP so the rest of us know this particular suerver sucks.

While this is good advice, I find I get frustrated because I have to try several FFA servers before I can find an actual game of FFA. It's just disappointing, that's all...

Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai

*scans threw 16,478 Server IPs written on a piece of paper*

*checks curretn server* Damn that one has lame Admins too!

Post the IP lol seriously who keeps a notebook full of IPs with lamers and admin abusers. There is no such thing as a mature Admin....at least Ive never seen one before. No offense to your "hard work" (which was just adding a few minor addons to someone elses code) But your mod is never used in the right way. People who cant win use it and when you kill them they abuse admin powers. If you want suggestions for the next version make it so there are no admin commands and just a MOTD with the Rules of the server and if someone doesnt follow rules you can use the /amkick command (the only real wworthy admin command)

BTW, it was a hell of a lot of hard work. MarS code was just a base and a lot of it has been changed. It's not some minor updates. As for the RPG Mod, lets talk about that shall we?

- server only commands

npcspawn - spawn a npc //taken from JediMod

npcremove - remove a npc //taken from JediMod

rename - rename client and lock his (client wont b able to change) //taken from VA

silence - silence a client //taken from VA

unsilence - unsilence a client //taken from VA

freeze - freeze client in admin_fanim animation //taken from OmNimod

unfreeze - unfreeze client //taken from OmNiMod

- admins commands

admins can use all severonly commands except that they have to put a 'a' before the command

examples : afreeze achangemusic arename

in addition they can use these command as the server

amap - change map //spinoff of JA Mod command

akick - kick someone //taken from VA

alogin - login has admin //taken from VA

- client commands

whosadmin - display who are the admins //taken from JA Mod

asay - speak to admin only //taken from VA

dualblade - change to saber staff //taken from JediMod

dualsaber - change to 2 sabers //taken from JediMod

shop - open shoping UI with target note u must be directly in front of another player to use this

transaction - open 'money exchange' UI with target note u must be directly in front of another player to use this //taken from OmNImod

- Cvars

*admin related*

admin_password default = ""

- password for admins login ("" = disabled)

//taken from VA

admin_fanim default = not sure yet

- from 0 to 1080

- anim num for freeze and afreeze commands

//taken from OmNimod

admin_loginmsg default = "^3With great power come great responsability^7"

- message to print to admins once login

//taken from JA Mod

admin_disablecmd defaul = ""

- 'server only' commans u DONT let your admins do

"" = all server only command allowed

example : "amap handofgod empty" = then your admins CANT do those 3 commands

//taken from JA Mod

rpg_allowextsaber default = 1

0 - disable dualblade & dualsaber

1 - allow dualblade & dualsaber

// Taken from Jedi Mod

rpg_allownpc default = 2

0 - disable all form of npc

1 - allow npc only by server(and admin) commands

//Taken from JediMod, command name ganked from me

So there you have it...talk about originality and code adjustments...I give the cut and paste award to you!!

This is the last of the flaming for I think it is pointless. So say what ya gotta say, but I will ask an admin to close the thread.

*crotch chop

I remember a thread here from about 10 or so months ago where we posted the ip's and admin names of bad servers. You know what that was? Helping a community. We were looking out for each other. This thread? Whining about a choice in gametype and a large number of lamers? Pointless. Instead of bitching about it freakin do something about it. Don't play on an adminmod/JAMod server, warn us about the lamer. Whatever is constructive and you feel may help you or all of us out.

Shock: Your idea for a filter is GREAT. Now get off your ass and code it if you feel so strongly about it. :)

I know for a fact ZeroCool spends his nights constantly tweaking his mod to make it the best damn mod out there. Dont you dare try and trivialize all the hard work he's put into it.

If you have some construtcive critisim, I'm sure ChosenOne would love to hear it... but if you are just going to be bitching and moaning, the don't use the JA MOD, you're not mature enough for it.

Have you made MODs that are half as popular as JA? If not, I think you should shut your hole. There is not much that I despise more than petty whining bitches.

We're all lucky chosen one released it.

Enough with the language please, don't let it happen again - Taos

Archived