Home

Hypothetical situation

C'jais

Assume that homosexuality was caused by a specific gene. I know that's not the only cause, but let's assume that for this example.

Now, imagine if you were 25 years old. About to be married to someone you loved. Trying to settle in. Suddenly, your mother phones you to tell something that's been on her conscience for a long time. For as long as you were born, actually.

As it turns out, when you were but a foetus your parents had a genetic test performed on you. It was determined that you were carrying the homosexuality gene. Using experimental gene technology, they were able to prevent that gene from activating, resulting in you becoming the standard heterosexual you are today.

1) How would you react? Would you be grateful that they did this to you, thus sparing you from the possibility of a horrible child hood? Would you be mad and outraged at them for changing what was originally intended to be "you"?

Now, another question pops up. Now it's the future, and you're about to have kids yourself. It's now standard fare to screen your kids if you so choose, and it's been discovered that your child is carrying the homosexuality gene as well.

2) Would you had that removed?

I'm not trying to be homophobic here, or assume that homosexuality is a genetic disease. Just a simple rhetorical question.

EDIT: silly typos

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would screen them so i know. but i wouldnt have it removed. I'd probably teach my kid alot more self defense moves than my other kids though, since i live in texas many hillbillies hate anyone different from them. i worry that my kids might be killed because of it but i wouldnt change it.

Originally posted by CagedCrado

you should worry you might be killed too sith.

Whoah there. We don't want to see any death threats here, understood?

How about question Nr. 1, by the way?

How would you react if faced with the idea that you might have once been homosexual, but your parents intervened from sincere "goodwill"? Good or bad?

Very interesting situation you present there, Jais... Very interesting :)

Posted by C'jais

As it turns out, when you were but a foetus your parents had a genetic test performed on you. It was determined that you were carrying the homosexuality gene. Using experimental gene technology, they were able to prevent that gene from activating, resulting in you becoming the standard heterosexual you are today.

1) How would you react? Would you be grateful that they did this to you, thus sparing you from the possibility of a horrible child hood? Would you be mad and outraged at them for changing what was originally intended to be "you"?

I'm not really sure how I'd react... I think I'd first of all be shocked, and also a little disappointed that they'd felt the need to 'change' me to make certain that I'd turn out straight... I think that I'd also be glad to some extent, because it would remove one 'opportunity' for people to discriminate against me.

I have a vague feeling that it might well and truly screw my life up, because I'd always wonder what it would've been like to have been allowed to develop 'naturally', and even whether having the 'gene' would've made certain that I'd turn out gay if they'd left me 'as was'...

I'll have to give this a bit more thought, and see what others say, I think :)

Now, another question pops up. Now it's the future, and you're about to have kids yourself. It's now standard fare to screen your kids if you so choose, and it's been discovered that your child is carrying the homosexuality gene as well.

I'm not trying to be homophobic here, or assume that homosexuality is a genetic disease. Just a simple rhetorical question.

I could get oh-so-sociological about this, but I won't now, cause I'd need to do a bit more research and I'm feeling lazy right now :D

Avoiding that route for now, I'm again unsure what I'd do... I think that if I'd coped with it well (being told by my parents), and also if society wasn't particularly tolerant of homosexuals, that I'd probably have it done...

I very much believe in leaving things alone though, so if society was tolerant of homosexuals, I'd leave him/her as is, and allow the child to develop untampered-with - even if I'd 'coped well' with being told by my parents :)

I dunno, maybe that's just me... But then, I am a very odd person :)

:D

*edit*

Ahh, I see we have company already... Good good :)

C'jais asked, How would you react if faced with the idea that you might have once been homosexual, but your parents intervened from sincere "goodwill"? Good or bad?

I think i would get mad, I have always wanted to be gay anyway.

But seriously,:rolleyes: no, not after that much time had gone by. I don't think it would be so terrible.

actually it might be good to be gay, since in the US you get extra rights, just like if you are black or latino.

Well thats my point of view anyway, i dont think its fair they get money, sometimes democrats annoy me. (democrats arent liberals ive decided, all they want is votes from minorities)'

EDIT: sorry i got this whole post off topic, it was meant to be serious but i kind of turned it into a joke.

Posted by CagedCrado

actually it might be good to be gay, since in the US you get extra rights, just like if you are black or latino.

And why are they given 'extra' rights in some areas? Because people discriminate against them.

Equal rights for ALL people would be SO much better than being biased towards one 'community' in some areas, and discriminating against them in others...

I often wonder why so many people seem unable to realise this =/

Well thats my point of view anyway, i dont think its fair they get money, sometimes democrats annoy me. (democrats arent liberals ive decided, all they want is votes from minorities)'
A-ha! Something we can almost agree on :D

I'm a 'liberal', but some of the democrats or their equivalents in Europe really annoy me at times, too.

Probably for different reasons, however, but they annoy me all the same ;)

well where i live basically everybody has equal rights, you can get hired no matter what color or race you are. Most places are like this so the things to benefit other races go waaaay over board, itd be better if all of the programs were cancelled.

I'd be happy, and I'd take it out.

Why? I've learned that it's easier to be blissful, so you'd like females if you had that gene,and since you didnt have any desire to like men, you dont really notice anything different..and you'll face ALOT less hardship early in life.

Edit- and I've never really gotten the idea of "Liberal, Democratic, Republic". To me, it seems nothing more than a label.

I would be upset that my parents changed me to be who they thought I should be instead of who I was going to be. Although if I were going to be married I would also be thankful because had I been gay i never would have fallen in love with the girl that I did.

No, i would not change the genes of a child of mine who would be gay. I would allow him/her to be the person that they were meant to be.

well where i live basically everybody has equal rights, you can get hired no matter what color or race you are. Most places are like this so the things to benefit other races go waaaay over board, itd be better if all of the programs were cancelled.

What town do you live in? Is it called 'Perfect'? ;)

There will always be people that are subject to discrimination. All we can do is strive towards equal rights. Anyone who says otherwise is either naive, ignoring the facts, or they're part of the very small percentage of people for who this does not apply (this could be you, how should I know?).

Well i live in south dakota, so you are either White/black/latino (if black or latino probably in the air force) and if you are indian you are a drunk or have a job. Everybody who wants a job can have one.

Sounds like equal rights to me. Well there is racism, just not in the work force. There is no room for racism in the work force and it is unacceptable. Really mostly its native americans being prejudice against whites saying you took our land etc (stuff that happened a looong time ago and it wasnt even the settlers that took it) Im not racist, i truly dislike some native americans, yet on the other hand i have friends who are native american, black, latino etc. Its just when they ask for stuff that is more than i have, i think its bull ****, especially if they have no jobs.

Originally posted by C'jais

Sorry 'jais, forgot to respond to your questions.

1) I'd be shocked, but I wouldn't be upset. I don't know if I would be grateful, but I certainly would be happy I wasn't gay (considering the awful treatment and discrimination they receive).

2) No, I wouldn't change a thing about my kid, so long as he/she was healthy, I wouldn't care what their sexual affiliation is (not really my business anyway, I think).

Well i live in south dakota, .... and if you are indian you are a drunk or have a job. Everybody who wants a job can have one.

Sounds like equal rights to me.

I sure hope things have changed since 1999

*back to the topic

I don't think I'd change a thing about my unborn child. If there were, indeed, a gene that affected sexual orientation, what would state that that specific characteristic is the only thing affected? Perhaps sexual orientation is the by-product (still hypothetically speaking, of course) of a chemical balance in the brain. Perhaps this same chemical also affects other tendancies and works in conjunction with other chemicals associated with other genes.

Actually, Shadow T. got me thinking along this line of thought in the "Gene for stupidity" thread. I started looking at genetic makeup like a tower of cards. Perhaps there are one or more cards that can be removed or changed that will allow the tower to continue to stand to it's full height, but you really have to take the other cards into consideration when choosing which to manipulate. Admittedly, I'm very ignorant when it comes to genetics (for now), but can't believe anymore that it is as simple as turning off a switch.

As far as the first question is concerned: I would be surprised at the news, but wouldn't regret the decision since heterosexuality is all that I knew. Likewise, if my "parents" were homosexual and manipulated the gene to "turn on" my homosexuality, I would feel the same way. Homosexuality would be all that I knew to be valid.

Hypothetically speaking.

well... i tihnk that homosexuality is worng... "we were adam and eve, not adam and steve" i itnhk thats how that old saying goes...

id be greatful htey done it, yet... wondered if i would have been one really if i didnt... is it possible that the gene might be a defect? like its htere but it wasnt going to effect you...

so therefore i would get it removed

cause im an exit only person when it comes to my poo tube

Anything that the american indians put out like that is lunacy, its a lot like saddam hussein, part truth, all crazy. All they want is money so they complain, plain and simple. Youve not delt with these type of people, dont get me wrong, im not talking about the group as a whole, im just talking about the 50% of them who have jobs 1/10th of the time, complain that they still own the black hills and say that you are racist if you have them do anything... such as tell them to pull up in drive thru for fresh fries or what not, they just whine. Anything wrong with the justice system is actually sad, they make stuff up thats laughable. This so called obstruction of justice is just them being treated like white people and not liking it.

Easily the worst minority by far to me. I am fine with all races but i judge people by how they act, and these people act horribly. You cant walk down the street in some places without an indian saying you took their land 150 years ago.... for all i know some indians killed my great great grandfather who was here in mandatory military service so should i be upset about this?

Trust me, its just whining for money.

Now that ive cleared up somebody looking at the whining and i never shut up side of the story, i will post on number 1

#1: Id be shocked that i had that gene in me to pass down and have it removed from the family line as well, I just want my posterity to have nice normal lives and have wives and some kids. Nothing much to ask for your kids, and i know we all want that for our kids. I might be a little old fashioned or whatever but homosexuals make me gag.

Im just going to open a thread on that.

The people you talk about that are lazy and worthless, are NOT lazy or worthless because they are Native Americans. It's because they're lazy.....you'll find people like that in EVERY single ethnic group.

im not talking about the group as a whole, im just talking about the 50% of them

So I'll just assume that you know 5,000 of the 10,000 or so Native Americans in South Dakota then......

Originally posted by ET Warrior

So I'll just assume that you know 5,000 of the 10,000 or so Native Americans in South Dakota then......

Actually it's more like 62, 000. And you made a good point. Generalizations are made based on minimal observations and used to support preconceived expectations.

It amazes me to see people who think homosexuals are 'icky' and make them gag.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being homosexual. I'm glad to be living in a country as progressive as Holland with a society that realises homosexuality isn't some sort of sickness. And when people realize this, they don't treat homosexuals different than any other person. And that's how it should be, because we're all human. Now if we could also get rid of the racists here in Holland, then I'd be 100% happy.

To answer C'jais questions:

1) I'd be pretty upset with my parents for them being so narrow-minded. The excuse for preventing me to have a terrible childhood would be ridiculous, because people don't automatically get teased and terrorised because they're homosexual (well.. at least not in the city where I'm living). And if i were to spent that childhood in a place where they would hate me and discriminate me and give me a very hard time, I'd seriously move away from that society filled with unreasonable hatred.

2) No.

Originally posted by Zodiac

1)And if i were to spent that childhood in a place where they would hate me and discriminate me and give me a very hard time, I'd seriously move away from that society filled with unreasonable hatred.

But what would you do if you weren't old enough to move away on your own, and your parents wouldn't move either? A little bit tougher to deal with discrimination when you're forced to by your current circumstances.

Archived