Home

Can someone tell me the different classes of Star Destroyers?

joesdomain

depends on what you mean by that.

Now many of the star destoryers displayed advancements in their field and subseqent SDs were named after them (such as the Avenger Class, etc)

Then there are other types that are still called star destroyers, but there are enough differences that they are considered a different type of ship entirely. (Victory Star Destroyer, Star Destroyer, Super Star Destroyer)

(just FYI the Eclipse is considered by vehichles and vessels to be a Super Star Destoryer type)

If you want more info I suggest grabbing a copy of the new Vehichles and Vessels when it comes out (The previous one is probably over 6 years old)

as for the number...I'd say it's up to the writers. New classes are added all the time as technology is increased in the SW universe.

Suposedly they are in the movies...I havn't looked tho.

If they are that outdated tho, why did a fleet of agile Victories come in quick and hard and take out a fleet of normal SDs in EU (back when the warlords are battling alot...can't remember the exact book, but it was when Daala was sweeping to the head of a large fleet)

BTW, I don't think those are considered class...more like type. Especially using the navy system. Like different types are carriers, destroyers, cruisers, battleships, etc and classes are like the Nimitz Class Carrier (a group of carriers were built under the same design and the specific design is named after the first craft built)

the victory "class" SD were built at the biginning of palpatines reign. i'm pretty sure i read that in the essential guide to "vehicles and vessels.", whether there used by the fleet in EP.IV, i'm not sure.

and maybe the victory SD destroyed the regular ones so quickly because they had a better battle plan, element of surprise or commander? i dont know, i never read it, did they?

I thought the Republic Assualt Ships were precursors to Star Destroyers. They look very similar. Star Wars Databank says they are Acclamator Class or something like that. I heard about Victory Class Star Destroyers being used before Episode IV. We haven't seen them in I, II, IV, V, or VI I thought the only classes shown in Episode 4-6 were Imperial Class I and II and the Super Star Destroyer Class. Hopefully, Episode III will clear this up and they will use Victory Class Star Destroyers as the capital ships instead Republic Assualt Ships.

*cough* From smallest to Largest

Victory Star Destroyer/Victory Star Destroyer II

Imperial Star Destrioyer/Imperial Star Destroyer II ( I read about it somewhere, the rebs call it an "Impstar Duece")

Sovereign Star Destroyer

Super Star Destroyer

Eclipse Star Destroyer

Some of tose are from EU. The Eclipse is the Ultiment SD.

Might aswell repost it here to. :D

Here goes:

Star Destroyers:

Victory-Class, Mark I and II: 900 meters

Harrow-Class: 900 meters

Imperator*-Class, Mark I & II: 1600 meters

Republic-Class: 1250 meters

Dominator-Class: Is suggested to be around 1600 meters, but not sure. It's also more of an Interdictor though. It has Grav Wells on it.

Allegiance-Class: 2.2km

Ark Hammer (not really a star destroyer, more like a factory built inside a star destroyer shaped hull): Atleast longer than 6.4km. Only one is known to have been built.

Vengeance-Class: Longer than 10km. Again, the exact lenght is not known.

Super Star Destroyers:

Sovereign-Class: 15km

Executor**-Class: 17.6km

Eclipse-Class: 17.5km

* Same as the ones shown in the movies. Unfortunatly they have been publically known as Imperial-Class, which is stupid since they are all Imperial owned in the first place. The Victory is an Imperial Star Destroyer. The Allegiance is an Imperial Star Destroyer, etc....

"Oh, look! An Imperial Imperial-Class Star Destroyer!"

Nowhere to my knowledge has the movies or other canon sources ever said they where Imperial-Class star Destroyers, just that they where Imperial Star Destroyers. But early EU sources has said Imperator-Class. And they take presidence over later published material according to LucasFilms policy. :)

** Same goes for the Executor.

plus i think the victory SD is all EU anyway.

Actually, the Victory-Class was made to go in A New Hope, but was upgraded to ISD instead. So, technically, George did create it, although it doesn't wuite look like the Victory-Class we all have come to love. :)

though if there are any SD in EPIII i think they will be a big step up from the acclaimer class republic ships.

Yeah, seeing the Victory-Class Star Destroyer is a warship, and the Acclamator-Class Assault Transport is a very large transport ship, that's an understatement to say the least. :D

Though it does have quite a deadly armament for being a transport. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Am I misstaken, or did we forget about the Interdictor Class SDs? They've got the big 'bubble' domes on them and project a gravity well. They're the one's Thrawn used to land other SD's in the middle of a battle by running them though hyperspace and yanking them out when they hit the gravity well. Also used to keep the Rebles from fleeing battle.

sure, interdictors are pretty vulnerable and weakly armed, but they're more useful, strategically, then ISDs thanx to their grav wells.

tho, of course, they become pretty obselete in the njo due to the introduction of the mon mothma & elegos aklaa (sp?).

being a vast, galaxy-spanning organization, the empire actually has several more sub-classes of star destroyers, which can be attributed to manifold subcontracts, upgrades etc it's unlikely that during the entire course of the empire's reign, there was only ONE upgrade for the ISD & VSD (from mark I to II) models. instead, the distinction of marks (btw I & II) could probably be ascribed to a major difference in design which was implemented at construction level. it's highly probable that each isd underwent individual refits, making them different from each other in various, small ways...check out theforce.net/swtc for more details.

Yes, the Interdics Grav Wells are good strategically, but frankly, with out support, they're useless, a few X-Wings w/ Proton Torps could damage it.

@Lynk, they may be Star Destroyery but a real VSD would probably stomp it because the Assault Transport does just that... Transports :D

First of all, define Interdictor. :D

There's more than one design. ;)

The Dominator Class Star destroyer is a combo of being an interdictor and an attack vessel, probably as large as the Imperator Class (1600m). So that one is a Star Destroyer.

If you're referring to the interdictors seen in the games, they arn't really star destroyers. More like cruisers. :)

They just have the similar design.

It's a good design really. First of all it's an intimidating look, to have an arrow shaped ship comming right at you. For another 80 % of all it's guns, and maybe even more, can be pointed straight forward at the enemy with this type of design. And half it's armament atleast can be pointed to each side.

The disadvantage with it though is that it's rear section is more vulnerable to attacks, as not that many guns will cover that part. :)

Archived