Home

Can someone tell me the different classes of Star Destroyers?

joesdomain

Well, the Dominator name for the class isn't set in stone, it's just named after the very first ship that was seen with that name I think. :)

I don't know if the class has been shown in any other comics or described in sufficient detail in a novel.

Yes, that's right, StarWarsPhreak. :) But I don't agree on that though. Read on.

There arn't really that many types of interdictors, but here are 3 ships that has that ability:

Immobiliser-418:

A 600m long interdictor ship built by Seinar Fleet Systems. Seen in most video games.

This is a true interdictor. It's mission is simple: Prevent the enemy from escaping. It's not an attack ship, so plenty of support is adviced along with this ship.

This is more like a frigate though, not cruiser as you said Phreak.

My reasoning is that Han Solo refers to the Imperator Class star destroyers as cruisers. And they are more than double the size and lenght.

Dominator Class Star Destroyer:

Assumed to be around 1600m, these are more than just interdictors. They are attack vessels aswell. Though not as heavily armed as the Imperator Class, it is a foe to be reconned with and not to take lightly.

It is Kuat Drive Yards answer to the Immobiliser-418 interdictor built by competitor Sienar Fleet Systems.

Eclipse Class Super Star Destroyer:

Kuat Drive Yards loves big ships. No other ship types displayes this better than the Executor Class and Eclipse Class, both over an incredible 17km in lenght.

But the Eclipse have 2 prominant features that the Executor lacks:

Grav-well projectors and a minitaurised superlaser.

This in turn, however, seriously cuts it's ability to sport fighters and other land based equipment and vehicles, aswell as docking bays for other types of ships.

Eclipse Star Destroyer:

17.5 km long (2x the size of SSD, 10x an ISD)

550 Turbolasers

500 Heavy Laser Cannons

There are most likely other weapons (Ion, Missiles, ect)

10 grav wells

600 TIE Interceptors

96 TIE Bombers

1 "mini" Super Laser

In combat, the Eclipse's hull and shields were so strong that it could ram enemy vessels without hesitation.

Super Star Destroyer:

8 km long

Bristling with over a thouand weapons, including turbolasers, concussion-missile tubes, tractor-beam projectors, and ion cannons.

144 TIEs (various)

200 other combat and support ships

I'll stick with the Eclipse :D

And yes, it's from the Dark Empire Comic Series.

Where did you get your info Jan? I wanna take a look at it...

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

Eclipse Star Destroyer:

17.5 km long (2x the size of SSD, 10x an ISD)

550 Turbolasers

500 Heavy Laser Cannons

There are most likely other weapons (Ion, Missiles, ect)

10 grav wells

600 TIE Interceptors

96 TIE Bombers

1 "mini" Super Laser

Super Star Destroyer:

8 km long

144 TIEs (various)

200 other combat and support ships

I'll stick with the Eclipse :D

And yes, it's from the Dark Empire Comic Series.

Where did you get your info Jan? I wanna take a look at it...

What type of super star destroyer, Phreak?

The Eclipse class is also a super star destroyer. :D

Be more spesific. ;)

j/k :D

Seriously, 8km is something WEG (West End Games) pulled out of their arse, scuse my language, showing their poor research and studeing of the ultimate canon itself: The Movies.

If you're gonna beleive anything none-canon, then believe what is stated on www.StarWars.com site. It has realized the mistakes done in the past and upped the lenght of the Executor to 12.8km.

Yet it is still not as long as the movies show it to be.

I get my info from Star Wars Technical Commentaries made by Dr. Curtis J. Saxton. Here's a direct link to the Executor Lenght part.

His site is one of the things that earned him the position as writer of the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Incredible Cross-Sections and the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary books, which in the past was done by Dr. David West Reynolds.

ok fine then, the Super-class Star Destrioyer is 17.6km long, and the Elcipse-Class Star Destroyer is about 35km since it is supposed to be 2x the SSD. Until stated otherwise, I go by my Essential Guide to Ships. Fortunately, they are making anew one. So maybe they will have fixed it :D

so if the SSD is actually 10 miles long (roughly) then the Eclipse-Class is about 20 miles long? damn, thats a big ship! could you just imagine that? that's almost crazy! whats the cargo and crew capacity for that anyway?

No, the Eclipse-Class is still 10 miles (16km) long, and the Executor-Class is 11 miles (more exact 17.6 or so km).

The ships named Eclipse I and II is actually longer than the original blueprints of the Eclipse-Class, around 11 miles, or 17.5 km. The Eclipse (the ship, not class) was longer because it was the Emperors ship.

Later ships of this class would have presumably been 10 miles long, but none (that we know of) were ever again built after these 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the ships at the end of AOTC are classified here as assault transports, however, they are extremely similiar to the Victory class Star Destroyer. If I remember the description of the VSD in Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, the VSD are classified as having the main role of assault transport with planetary invasions being their main design goal. The VSD's are the only capital ships listed as having atmospheric capabilities and i believe the ability to actually land on worlds they are to occupy. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

The VSD's are the only capital ships listed as having atmospheric capabilities and i believe the ability to actually land on worlds they are to occupy.

Of that size, yes.

But the range of capital ship goes from military ships longer than 100 meters and up. So that includes military versions of the Corellian Corvette CR90 (150m or so) for instance, which has also have atmospheric capabilities.

No, the Eclipse-Class is still 10 miles (16km) long, and the Executor-Class is 11 miles (more exact 17.6 or so km).

ok fine then, the Super-class Star Destrioyer is 17.6km long, and the Elcipse-Class Star Destroyer is about 35km since it is supposed to be 2x the SSD.

another discrepancy...

jan-

is your measurement of the eclipse's length based on an official source or is it a quantity derived from close observation and comparison with other bodies of known lengths? coz if it's the former, i'm disinclined to believe it....they're have been wrong facts stated before (eg SSD=12.8km long).

if the measurement is actually correct, tho, then the eclipse really is shorter than the executor...WHOA....but wait! that doesn't mean it's actually smaller. the SSd has a pretty thin profile while the eclipse is fat and broad. Also, they have about the same number of turbolasers lining their hull, so the eclipse shouldn't be all that bigger..

is your measurement of the eclipse's length based on an official source

Yes, it is indeed based on an official source, stating that the Eclipse is 17.5 kilometers long. There's nothing wrong with this value. What's wrong is that later publications has falsely compared it to the lenght of the Executor that WEG has stated, which is 8km. And that's when the 2x the Executor crap came to be. :) It was not the source that stated the Eclipses lenght that is to be blamed, but WEG and other publishers that foolishly believed WEGs "measurement" of the Executor. :rolleyes:

The Eclipse-class' exact lenght is 16km. But the 2 built first, the Eclipse I and II, were 17.5 because they were the Emperors personal ship according to Michael Allen Horne who wrote the Dark Empire Sourcebook.

the SSd has a pretty thin profile while the eclipse is fat and broad. Also, they have about the same number of turbolasers lining their hull, so the eclipse shouldn't be all that bigger..

Exactly. :)

While the Executor-class is marginally longer than the Eclipse, the mass of the Eclipse is much greater, thus making it infact larger. Just not longer. :)

they're have been wrong facts stated before (eg SSD=12.8km long).

I'm actually willing to accept this lenght really. :)

It's a far better estimate than the 8km crap. ;)

Archived