Home

Combat question

Eldherald

As far as I know, it will fundamentally be the same as it was in JK2, but with improvements and refinements (and of course the two new styles - dual sabres and the lighstaff) -

"The saber system is enhanced; it's basically the same as the Jedi Knight 2 engine, but we've added new moves and enhancements."

--Jon Zuk, in this recent interview with the Raven devs

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear :(

[edit]

Welcome to the forums, btw :D

Feel free to stick around even if this news puts you off - it's a good place :)

I'm curious, Gungalley...

What on earth do you mean by "movie like"? You expect everyone to behave like in the movies? Doing only moves that look really cool and have been performed by Luke Skywalker in ep IV-VI? :confused:

I'm sorry tyo break your bubble but this is a game, not a movie. If you want a movie, go see a movie...it's that simple.

However, the saber combat is based on the movies is it not? They could certainly make it more realistic imo. I mean, the blue lunge? What was that all about? It seems they may be going in the right direction with the double bladed though. At least they are going to add new moves and a side kick for it.

What I meant was: A game can never be like a movie. People will use the most effective ways to kill the opponent.

In my ears "movie-like" tends to sound like something "Honourable Jedis" do, and we all know what these lovely code-of-honours have done to the game.

A blaster shot in the face = 20hp of damage. Realistic? I don't think so. A necessary exeption for the sake of good gameplay? Certainly.

But no, I don't disagree with you lexx. They should strive for realism as much as possible without ruining gameplay. Blue lunge? Unblockable kicks? 1.03 backslash? :rolleyes:

My point is this: no-one should expect people to PLAY like honourable jedis (according to your own little Code), because that's just not going to happen. A FFA won't turn into a epic movie no matter how well the game manages to represent the Star Wars universe.

I will shoot you in the back with my rocket launcher even though a honourable jedi would probably try to avoid violence and attempt to settle differences by talking.

I would like to see a class based mode or somthing to add diversity to the game. So you don't just have force, saber, and gun weilding maniacs running around everywhere, instead you wold have two distinct groups who either like to use saber and force.... or guns with say all the items available. I am only stating that it might make the game a bit more diverse. I like to fight gunners more of the time rather then somone with a lightsaber.

I think if they tweak the MP to be more network friendly, there could be more/longer duels since now when you have a saber lock, the sabers kind of shift instead of flowing from side to side, like in SP. I know its partially because of the Maxrate, and the way the engine was meant to handle it all, but you figure with duels, there are only 2 people fighting at one, so why not take advantage of that?

Or will it be more to the movies, more realistic

Wow, I'm having 'pre-release' and 'soon-after-release' JKII flashbacks. I liked the sabre combat, more or less. They did a good job. If they refine and tweak like they say, we should be in for a treat.

Keep in mind, there will always be 'haters'.

As for game-play realism I think kicks are the big s***, 20HP just for an unblockable kick?!!!, I think kick should knock you down without damage, speciale for: kick 20 + attack while oponent is on ground(if he fall) +60 = 80!!!, I have beeing kicked in real life a few times and the game is not realistic or balanced and... a kick should be with one leg only and not both that hurts your enemy, makes him go back and you fall at a few steps away from him.

kicks should be: one legged kick (far stronger, knows by personal experience) and your oponents falls without damage, but becomes defenseless for a second attack and the kicker stay still, not get away of the oponent, and make it so you can only kick once per 5(?) secons, cause I have abused from kicks a few times and are a 5 seconds kill... not much realistic (if you have been kicked you should know).

the saber is ok, the way it is, at least yu can bloch blue lunge in 1.04 if you are quick.

I think that the best saber combat can never be done into the FFA or CTF type of game.

They could however elevate the DUEL gametype or FFA/CTF duel mode into something better... maybe making the duellists more focused on eachother... something in the likes of:

*Creating an "anchor" right between the 2 duellists making them autoface eachother when straffing around.. that way you'd circle around the enemy duellist. You could still turn around and have his back to him for a getaway or a backslash.

*slowing down the duellists so that the current "run pass eachother slashing like crazy" syndrome his reduced.

*No autoblocking, you'd have to press the block/parry key and face the direction the attack is comming from.

*improving interactivity between the duellists. EXAMPLE: if you double tap right, you'd make a fast dodge to the right but if the enemy is attacking you, you'd do one of those reborn air rolls/spins. Or... if a saber is slashing from the right, by blocking facing right you'd do the right defend animation while if it's a overhead slash and you block upwards it would show the up defend animation.

*new and good animations for the double bladed saber and the dual sabers. the double bladed saber must have it's own set of animation as well as the dual sabers... like.. the double bladed saber should be held horizontally or close. It's proven that the single saber animation doesnt look nowhere near right for the double bladed saber or dual sabers. Also.. all saber styles should have a bit of flashy movements now and then... maybe triggered randomly just to add some flavor.. it's eye candy but most people enjoy it. ;P

*Saber stances should simply be diferent styles of saber moves that are equal in damage, speed and defense, only having diferent moves that may be better to attack or counter certain situations so that people use them all instead of using only one and using mostly one of the moves of that very same stance.

I think these sugestions would perfectly make some very good saber battles without harming the FFA's pace.

One other thing.. movie like stuff is basically the eye candy that people want.. the flashy moves and stuff. It's got nothing to do with RPG. Besides... Lexx has pointed out something really simple and true... although a game... it's based on a movie. I'm sure we all want to see a SW game this fall that meets our expectation of a good saber duel. Even the ones that only care about having the higher score and be better than everyone, should agree with me that the saber currently in JO sucks bigtime. It doesnt cause too much damage.. it's defense is abusevly strong... and DFA spamming and push/pull tactics are getting old. Saber looks nothing more than shield currently.

I agree with you BloodRiot, i think the sabers should be more leathal (one or two hits to kill), and we should defenately have a defence/parry button, this way there wouldn't be the problem of everyone running around, bashing air. You just couldn't do it, your opponent would take one step to the side and slice you in half. As for the stances, i think it is pretty innacurate to have them do different amount of dammage due to the nature of a lightsaber.

Archived