Home

How really 'open' the game should be?

AlzWisHum

The JA will feature a more 'open' game allowing your characters to be built from scratch.

A cost to that is probably sacrificing some of the story 'drama', since your character won't probably be voiced by an actor, keeping silent or completely out the cutscenes as a crude example; and also limiting the storyline as a whole. That's an obvious con.

A pro is the game is bigger to explore and to make your own decisions, and be able to shape your character as well.

Keeping these two aspects in mind, which you rather to sacrifice the most: The storyline, or the open plot?

Agreed, but also remember the main character won't probably be driven by some reason, like in JO was Kyle's avenging for Jan's death and almost falling to the dark side in the process. The character had some complexity and motivation. What I mean is, would you prefer a more guided storyline, or an open one?

I think they could handle the voice issue like they do in Baldur's Gate II. If you haven't played it, in the character creation process, you can select from a set of character sounds. Then this voice is used by your character throughout the game. Your name is obviously never spoken out loud, but it is used in the text subtitles.

As for storyline, they should still be able to come up with a pretty good storyline regardless. Each "mission" would be its own self contained story, each adding a piece to the larger picture. I like the option of selecting when you do certain missions.

If they did put in voice sets all the characters would probably call you "apprentice" or something, instead of your real name.

I would actually prefer they scrap that pseudo-RPG character creation crap and stick with one character who has an agenda and leave the creation to MP. Sure, pick saber styles and stuff, but not sex and race and so on.

i actually would like it really open. in deus ex invisble war they got character creation, but say that there would be a really good storyline still, why can't jedi academy do that. but it probably fall under a new dark jedi rise and gotta defeat it, but what ev i really like the idea about building my character, and hopefully be able to use it in multiplayer because it be great to have a unique character in both scenerio

Originally posted by AlzWisHum

Agreed, but also remember the main character won't probably be driven by some reason, like in JO was Kyle's avenging for Jan's death and almost falling to the dark side in the process. The character had some complexity and motivation. What I mean is, would you prefer a more guided storyline, or an open one?

Open would be nice for a change..

Playing a Republic agent looking like a scruffy nerf herder does get boring in SP :p, I think character creation is a brilliant idea myself. So what if your name won't be said aloud? It's really not that big of a deal in my opinion. So I guess I would go with open heh.

Originally posted by eastcoast2895

i actually would like it really open. in deus ex invisble war they got character creation, but say that there would be a really good storyline still, why can't jedi academy do that. but it probably fall under a new dark jedi rise and gotta defeat it, but what ev i really like the idea about building my character, and hopefully be able to use it in multiplayer because it be great to have a unique character in both scenerio

Exactly, it would be probably guided by some thin line storyline, but it wouldn't make sense for example a dark sider help a bunch of colonists.

Originally posted by BrodieCadden

If they did put in voice sets all the characters would probably call you "apprentice" or something, instead of your real name.

I would actually prefer they scrap that pseudo-RPG character creation crap and stick with one character who has an agenda and leave the creation to MP. Sure, pick saber styles and stuff, but not sex and race and so on.

Yes, that would be nice, but I guess our main character would remain mute on dialogs, that is the character complexity I meant, your character will be passive in the storyline but active on the action.

The only thing I'd diverge with you is I'd rather the whole open storyline myself (picking characters, male/female and races).

Originally posted by Prime

I think they could handle the voice issue like they do in Baldur's Gate II. If you haven't played it, in the character creation process, you can select from a set of character sounds. Then this voice is used by your character throughout the game. Your name is obviously never spoken out loud, but it is used in the text subtitles.

I don't think they'd handle the voice for your character at all, it would be quite weird your character as a Rodian or a Wookie speaking like a man/woman, IMHO.

That would leave the character mute, and passive I guess. Unless they keep some short words or grunting for each one, but it would still be passive.

Originally posted by Khier Serakk

Playing a Republic agent looking like a scruffy nerf herder does get boring in SP , I think character creation is a brilliant idea myself. So what if your name won't be said aloud? It's really not that big of a deal in my opinion. So I guess I would go with open heh.

Couldn't agree with you more! :)

Originally posted by Leemu Taos

I would like a game that is more 'open' then JK2 that is for sure. At the same time, I don't want the game to turn into an rpg......I'd just like a little bit more exploration to it to make it fun!

Me too! I am also glad they decided to go that way in JA.

Well, as for me, as I've said, I am with open game. :)

The model itself on the cutscenes is not a problem since it can just be loaded on in game scripted scenes... no pre rendered cutscenes tho.

As for voice... they can:

*Mute the player character (i wouldnt like this)

*Select a voice bank at character creation and either:

**substitute the name with some other form (sounds nice enough)

**Use some form of synthetic voice for the chosen name (IF it sounds convincing--- wouldbe the best option if it was)

Regarding the main question... Open game with a good storyline... the open goes for character customization and game progress.. but game progress choices only affect the means to an end... not the end itself... so a good storyline is still possible.

Plus having it open , hopefully will allow the SP to live longer as you may try diferent ways with diferent characters.

Alternate endings are a must... I'd want to finish the game least twice... one ending as a noble jedi and the other as a vicious dark jedi.

Originally posted by BloodRiot

Regarding the main question... Open game with a good storyline... the open goes for character customization and game progress.. but game progress choices only affect the means to an end... not the end itself... so a good storyline is still possible.

Plus having it open , hopefully will allow the SP to live longer as you may try diferent ways with diferent characters.

Alternate endings are a must... I'd want to finish the game least twice... one ending as a noble jedi and the other as a vicious dark jedi.

that pretty much sums up how i feel.

the alternate endings and the choice of dark/light side in DF2: JK gave it replayability, something i felt JO lacked.

JA will have alternative endings, mission choosing and customisable characters. that will certainly give it replayability.

IMO it's taking the best features from JK1 & JKII.

will have to wait and see what the storyline is like, but i have a feeling that it will be good and we will have a kick ass game.

Originally posted by Sivy B

that pretty much sums up how i feel.

the alternate endings and the choice of dark/light side in DF2: JK gave it replayability, something i felt JO lacked.

JA will have alternative endings, mission choosing and customisable characters. that will certainly give it replayability.

IMO it's taking the best features from JK1 & JKII.

will have to wait and see what the storyline is like, but i have a feeling that it will be good and we will have a kick ass game.

My feeling also, regardless of the engine it is built from.

Archived