Home

Linux... somebody had to mention it.

WD_ToRMeNt

Hey mods, how about we made this sticky so we don't have a million linux threads.

Yeah I know we'll probably just be stuck with a dedicated server for linux, but I'd love to have the client as well. Don't get me wrong, I was admin of the WD server and that ran linux :D That aside, I've been enjoying the neverwinter nights linux client and I just wish we'd have a JK3 linux client as well. Truth is, I won't buy JK3 if it's like JK2, but I'd buy it nomatter what if there was a linux client. I think a lot of people who wouldn't have bought nwn if not for the linux client (I was one of them). JK3 could benafit from this as well. Since the Q3TA engine is so easy to port to linux, I'd love to see them release client binaries.

I don't think they'll make a Linux version of this game. Although Windows Quake 3 engine games (including Jedi Outcast) has proven to be easy to be run on Linux machines with TransGaming.

Give it a try, I did (you'll need to compile it though) and I liked. The thing is I already run Windows XP on my computer so, I personally have no need for that.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

Truth is, I won't buy JK3 if it's like JK2, but I'd buy it nomatter what if there was a linux client. I think a lot of people who wouldn't have bought nwn if not for the linux client (I was one of them). JK3 could benafit from this as well.

Why are you willing to buy a game you don't like simply because it is on linux? Aren't you going to dislike it just as much on either platform? The point is mute though, since I highly doubt Raven will be making a linux version.

Besides, I don't think they need to sell those extra five copies anyway. Sorry, couldn't resist :)

5 Copies? No, quiet a few more then that. Tuxgames will pick it up and a lot of people that would be otherwise oblivious to JK3 would become interested. And yes, I would buy a game just to support a developer making games for linux. I'm not the only one either.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

5 Copies? No, quiet a few more then that. Tuxgames will pick it up and a lot of people that would be otherwise oblivious to JK3 would become interested. And yes, I would buy a game just to support a developer making games for linux. I'm not the only one either.

I was just teasing you WD_ToRMeNt :)

I know there are lots of linux users out there that would play JO. Unfortunately, I don't believe that it is a big enough market for it to be worthwhile for Raven/Lucasarts to put in the effort to port it. Especially since many people have a dual boot with Windows.

Originally posted by Prime

I was just teasing you WD_ToRMeNt :)

I know there are lots of linux users out there that would play JO. Unfortunately, I don't believe that it is a big enough market for it to be worthwhile for Raven/Lucasarts to put in the effort to port it. Especially since many people have a dual boot with Windows.

Q3 can be switched from windows to linux and vice versa with the appropriate point release. I understand that there is a bit of work involved in making this possible, but I think people should know that its not like Raven has to redo the game from scratch just for Linux (and I know you know this Prime, I just want to make sure everyone else does).

Originally posted by JaledDur

Actually, I've found that Wine runs JK2 on my machine perfectly whereas WineX (TransGaming) screws up the sound but good.

Weird, for me Wine didn't work at all, while in Transgaming (based on Wine anyways) ran smooth and sounded perfect, perhaps an audio/video driver issue? Or maybe distro's.

Q3 can be switched from windows to linux and vice versa with the appropriate point release. I understand that there is a bit of work involved in making this possible, but I think people should know that its not like Raven has to redo the game from scratch just for Linux (and I know you know this Prime, I just want to make sure everyone else does).

This is very true, and it's a good point to make, JaledDur. Certainly, if they decided to do it, they could do so easily. I'd say the deciding factor on whether they port it is the return for their effort (however minor it may be), not the technical difficulty.

Originally posted by Prime

This is very true, and it's a good point to make, JaledDur. Certainly, if they decided to do it, they could do so easily. I'd say the deciding factor on whether they port it is the return for their effort (however minor it may be), not the technical difficulty.

It would be nice if there was enough documentation so that we could do it ourselves.

Originally posted by AlzWisHum

Weird, for me Wine didn't work at all, while in Transgaming (based on Wine anyways) ran smooth and sounded perfect, perhaps an audio/video driver issue? Or maybe distro's.

At the time I was running a P4/GeForce4 MX440/ integrated intel sound (laptop) running RedHat 8 with the 2.4.18 kernel and OSS. You?

At the time I was running a P4/GeForce4 MX440/ integrated intel sound (laptop) running RedHat 8 with the 2.4.18 kernel and OSS. You?

I was using a Desktop PIII also integrated with intel sound, with TNT2 32 Mb running Mandrake edition which I don't remember the kernel version I was using at the time though, I know it was one version before the current.

I'd love to see JK3 linux client binaries. Its a bunch of little things like companies releasing linux versions of games that over will give Linux a bigger desktop share. I doubt raven would do it though. :)

I got JK2 running under Transgaming's WineX (athlon XP 1800+, AMD761 motherboard, Gentoo Linux), but not without messing with a bunch of stuff.

Archived