Home

Jedi Academy cutscenes

coupes.

How do you think they should do the JA cutscenes?

personnaly i think the cutscenes in JO sucked, exept the vehicle one (which were done by ILM), so for JA i'd like prerendered cutscenes instead of using the in-game models.

what do you think?

the cutscenes will be the same as JO, maybe better but, ships and landings will be videos, interactivity will be made with ingame models unless they have one video for each possible combination of character's pieces, I think all interactivity goes ingame, hopefully the will look better than in JO.

Personally I wish they would go back too good'ol Jk cutscenes, they were a lot better with real people AND you could view them any time you wanted once you saw it once. The way it should be.

JO cutscense were largely a disappointment in my eyes and I hope they put some more effort into this time arounld.

For the sake of all of the SP mappers (I am one of them), I hope there are in game cinematics. Of course, there will be pre-rendered cinematics for some things (like JK2's .roq files), but they will almost definitely stick to ingame cutscenes for most things including the 10 second cutscenes

Videos, like when the Raven's Claw lands in Yavin, will probably by .roq files or something like that, but once again, cutscenes like when Kyle blows up the mine, will probably stay in-game.

Modibility was one of my favorite parts of JK2. I do not want to have to make my own pre-rendered cinematics. And filming is just out of the question. They want to be even more modder friendly than they were for JK2 and making cutscenes that complicated, expensive, and difficult to make, will not help.

Sorry.

I agree about the 10 (or so) seconds cutscenes like the one you mentionned or when you talk to lando in his cell, because the level continues after, but i think they should improve the pre level cutscenes like when Tavion and Dessan discuss or when Kyle receives Mon Mothma's message.

I think that they should at least smooth out the graphics, and spruce em up with graphical memory for the cutscenes since not much is happening in terms of cpu usage as opposed to actually being the model playing the game... I felt that the cutscenes were good, but could have been better. They need more CGI sequencing implemented.

Personally, I'd prefer fewer cut scenes, and remain in-character for the most part while different events unfold (like in Half-Life or Unreal). I'd also like to have free movement while people are talking to me (instead of the super-glue to the floor effect seen in JO). I really don't see the need for having a cut scene where people are just talking to each other. The only cut scenes I think are necessary are exterior ship shots, and the like, and they should be CGI IMHO (it just looks much better).

The actors in JK su....were really bad. Personally I like the JO cinematics, and hope they continue this way in JA. Besides, with the character creation and all....it just wouldn't work. The only thing that kept JO cutscenes from kicking butt were the poor facial animations.

I don't mind in-game cinematics, but I hope there will be at least one of them featuring your character and the villian's last battle in pre-rendered format. It could be around 30 seconds long. JA could have 60 different endings depending on the character you create, you know like Mortal Kombat or other fighting games where each fighter has his own short ending. Just my 2 cents.

While it'd be cool to have your own character appear in the game's cutscenes, it might be pretty costly to have pre-rendered cut-scenes with every character variation. What they COULD do is take some string of information from your game, use that to render your character on the fly, use whatever pre-selected voicepack you choose (assuming they give you those options) and have the cutscenes use those.

I'd like to see slightly better looking cutscenes than in JO, but on the whole, I thought they did a good job with them. Using the in-game engine allows for relatively seamless transitions in the look of the cutscene and the look of the game, which is nice.

As for the cutscenes in JK1, well, I thought they were rather weakly scripted, and Kyle looked a little too beefy for my tastes. Jan was cute, but overall, I thought that while they were nice, some of them were HORRIBLY acted (JESUS but Jerec came across as a whack-job. Watch the opening sequence of the game. What the hell is up with his tongue? Is he part lizard or something???).

Regardless, the age of FMV is dead and gone. Shooting video, rendering backdrops, and, most importantly, hiring actors all cost beaucoup bucks, if you want to do it well. It's much more cost-effective (and TIME effective) to simply render in-game scenes and only have to worry about voice actors. You don't need to pay for costumes, makeup, lighting, hair, grips, film/video equipment, etc. Instead, you can put your money into further developing gameplay, which is really where it should be going anyway. Save the money for patches, use it for a free bonus pack, whatever. But don't waste it on mediocre actors. JK1 was fine in its time, but industry standards have moved away from that style of cutscene.

Ug, I hated the JO cutscenes... For some odd reason they looked MUCH worse graphics wise than the in game visuals...

And... I hated the way the characters moved in the cutscene... having Kyle slide around on the floor when he moved didn't look too realistic to me... :p But... JK1's cutscenes weren't exactly a work of art either... They wouldn't really be that bad though, if they had better lines, and hired better actors (especially for Jerec :)).

But really, the thing I disliked most about the cutscenes were the fact that they didn't really last too long, or have any cinematic quality. But that can still be improved upon in JA, even if they use ingame models.

Originally posted by Prime

With the fact that everyone will be making their own character, it is probably safe to assume that cutscenes will be done with the game engine, not with actors or exclusively with roq files.

i didnt think of that...good point

but they could probably still have movie cut scenes of the bad guys or stuff happening that your not involved in but it probably isnt worth it

I wouldn't mind what the one member said that for some cutscenes, have the game models to the scenes, but for scenes like the enemies and plots that don't show your character, use pre-rendered scenes, since the engine is more that able to handle them.

So you mean exactly like in JO then?

Originally posted by lonepadawan

you think ILM did the cutscenes?

*falls off chair laughing*

That's what i heared, but i wasn't talking about the in-game cutscenes, only the space and ships ones.

Archived