Home

Will there be rpg qualitys in mplayer?

SithDemon

Do you mean "RPG qualities" as in the character and sabre customisation? If so, then yes there will, unless PCGamer are wrong :)

If that wasn't what you meant, then clarify a bit and I'll try to answer again... HTH :)

edit: Welcome to the forums, btw - enjoy your stay here! :D

Ummm...sorry dude. From the looks of it JA will be pretty much like JO: A First Person Shooter where people armed with the Force, sabers and a rocket launcher (or whatever) run around killing each other in MP.

Character customization and choosing force powers? Yes. Roleplaying? Definitely not.

Singleplayer and multiplayer will most likely be two totally different kind of games. That's the only way it can work out well.

Originally posted by Sage

Will there be the same rpg qualitys in mplayer as in single player?:confused:

Apart from designing your initial character, I suspect there won't be. SP and MP are fundamentally different beasts. If you are looking for an online SW RPG, I suspect you'll have to wait for Galaxies. Academy will be a FPS first and foremost.

Yea i kind of wanted that rpg feeling to it because galaxies is so expinsive man itll cost 50 for the game and 10 bucks a month. wich is $$ that i dont have lol. spent it all on a real nice computer but its a catch 22 cus i have a nice comp but no games and if i start working then i will have 0 time for anything else. man some times life just sucks! :rolleyes:

There may still be RPG servers out there, but likely, if you try playing on most servers, you'll be quite disappointed with the gameplay. Generally speaking, FPS games don't translate well into RPGs and you'll only end up pissing people off if you try to get them to play that way (unless the server is already an RPG server).

If you can't afford Galaxies, check out Knights of the Old Republic, also an RPG (albeit an SP one). It's based on the d20 system and seems to be somewhat similar to games like Neverwinter Nights.

I don't know but I'm ok with a 'No' or a 'Yes' as an answer.

However,I don't think Jedi Academy would be a FPS...no offense but its name is Jedi Academy,which suggests that it would be more concentrated to the force and saber.However by saying that I don't mean to say that JA is 'teh saber or force game'.NO OFFENSE.

Originally posted by Solo4114

KOTOR will be coming out for the PC. If you've got a new rig, you should be in good shape to play it. It's being developed by BioWare, I believe.

I believe it is also coming out for XBox. I will definitely be playing the PC version, because I really don't like the thought of playing an RPG with a gamepad...

Originally posted by Toa Tahu

However,I don't think Jedi Academy would be a FPS...no offense but its name is Jedi Academy,which suggests that it would be more concentrated to the force and saber.However by saying that I don't mean to say that JA is 'teh saber or force game'.NO OFFENSE.

FPS refers to the genre of the game, i.e. you have a first person view of the game world. It does not refer to the fact that you usually use guns. The fact that Academy will be mainly about the Force and the saber makes it no less of a FPS.

Regardless, there will be even more guns this time than in JO...

It's more than just the perspective and weapons available that make a game an FPS. The entire purpose of an FPS is to kill enemies or accomplish goals (IE: capture the flag, blow up the objective, etc.). An RPG has goals about developing a character over time, gaining experience, equipment, becoming a member of societies/guilds/social groups, completing quests, etc. RPGs are typically much more open-ended than FPS, and are slower paced. That's why FPS games don't mix that well with RPG style play. They're just not designed for it.

Originally posted by Blademaster_109

I think if u r farther in the game, and have more force powers u should be able 2 use them in multiplayer. an example is in JO everyone got the same about of points like 90 to use. So this way if u r farther in the game u benift more.

I ageree with you here. It would be nice to use the character you're creating in SP out in the multiplayer world. It would add just enough rpg elements to the game to satify those that crave it, IMO.

It's kind of like America's Army. In order to use the sniper rifle on a server you have to get a high score in marksman training and pass sniper school, which is done in SP.

Leveling wont work. It will become liek CS, where the powerful become more powerful and the weaklings become weaker. Totally stupid concept. I really hope that multiplayer will be more complex like in RTCW, and i hope that jedis vs merc will be one of the main game types.

Originally posted by Blademaster_109

I think if u r farther in the game, and have more force powers u should be able 2 use them in multiplayer. an example is in JO everyone got the same about of points like 90 to use. So this way if u r farther in the game u benift more.

Why should people who are further in SP benifit more in MP?? Anyway, it would never work. First of all, many people who play MP never touch SP. So all those people would be at a complete disadvantage. Then you have the people who don't pick up the game for months after the release. These people are also screwed. The MP game would suck big time to play if I join a server and I only have a blaster and my opponant has a rocket launcher and force lightning. People will be quiting MP forever after 5 minutes. SP and MP are seperate entities and should be treated as such.

Utimately, the Dark Forces series is a FPS, not a RPG. And so, people are going to get very upset when they try and play an online game and they aren't all on an equal footing. Just look at all the balancing complaints now? And that's with everyone getting the same number of points.

The majority of people play this game because it is a FPS. Trying to turn it into a RPG is only going to alienate that group. It sounds like you guys would be happier with something like Galaxies?

Archived