Home

Iblis Reborn

how come alot of ppl seem to hate the 1.04 patch but no one went back to 1.03?

i missed the good old days when you had to watch your ass cause you could actually get killed by a lightsaber so i popped 1.03 back in and there arent many servers at all still using it

so yeah how come no one went back?

Firstly 1.03 is the lamest patch ever! If reduced the skill required to play 10 fold. Stupid backstab.

Anyhow, 1.04 corrected this, but they still have the fundamental problem of having sabers not kill instantly when cut through on a clean slice. If the command (g_saberscaledamage 4) was enabled and set by default on all servers, along with ghoul2 collision, combat would improve VASTLY. The saber would be much more deadly, and movie like.

You don't need lame 1.03, if you playing with your friends then just set the right settings to make the saber dangerous. To take it all of the way, play MOVIE BATTLES! (Manual block :) )

Originally posted by Iblis Reborn

so yeah how come no one went back?

Ass-Fighters.

Originally posted by Smood

Anyhow, 1.04 corrected this, but they still have the fundamental problem of having sabers not kill instantly when cut through on a clean slice. If the command (g_saberscaledamage 4) was enabled and set by default on all servers, along with ghoul2 collision, combat would improve VASTLY. The saber would be much more deadly, and movie like.

It seems so easy, doesn't it? A few simple changes by admins would make saber combat deadly and fun. But very few servers seem to have this.

I guess it is more important to allow people to sit and kiss each other. :(

maybe it is just me but honestly the most fun ive had in this game was when it was patchless and i didnt know about DFA or the backslashes

u just had a saber 3 styles and you went at it

the red style gave insane amounts of dammage but was slow enought that the blue style was great against it

the rest (though fun) took away from the experience for me

Firstly 1.03 is the lamest patch ever! If reduced the skill required to play 10 fold. Stupid backstab.

I disagree, it was annoying for new players as they did not have a clue, but for players that are SKILLED Backstab was only a annoying to there own stupidity of forgetting to have absorb up.

KICK is your friend... hooo look a arse walker (yes that's what I hated about 1.03 not the move but the arse walking) kick him over and over again.. then when he turns round Backslash him... a taste of there own medicine rules :p

I play on a server on 1.04 that is on 1.03 settings, its a CTF game

and game play is great. the quality (skilled players) can I kill doing a backslash yep suppose I can, no its not easy.

Nuti played a few games on that server.. did I backslash him no way he is slippery mother.. so had to grab the ole rocket launcher and then still was not easy, the only way I could own him was when he had a crap Team. hehehe I think his comment went " its not easy when your offence and defence plus flag runner"

TOSEXY has played on this server to.. did I backslash her!!! dam I could not get close to shoot her let alone backstab.

1.03 backslash is like DFA in 1.04 you learn to counter the move, that in turn makes you more deadly than the arse walking no skilled freaks.

But was playing in 1.03 any fun???

I mean, I play this game because it is Star Wars, not because it is a FPS. I'm not so concerned about what takes "skill" or what is "l33t". The problem was the move was too easy. I just hated the fact that everyone was running around backwards. What kind of game is that?

I have no problems with the backstab move itself, but it was an unblockable automatic kill, which was too much.

one server that i liked playing on had a nice knockback on the saber so when you did the backslash you would give alot of damage but it wouldnt be a one hit kill

instead hitting the guy more than once it would just push him away

i have no idea how the admin had done that though...i wish i knew

1.03 was too easy to kill people. i was a backstabber in 1.03 and i could run into a whole group and kill everyone of them with the backstab. that was a big problem. 1.04 fixed the whole backstab deal but yes it kinda did slow down the gameplay significantly by making the saber too week. 1.03 all u needed to know was the backstab and u were a great player. but in 1.04 there are so much more skilled things involved. 1.04 is a tad bit too slow but its better than 1.03

1.02 had no sabre collision. 1.03 had the backstab.

I think what fans (not fanboys, mind you) wanted was saber collision with lethal sabres in EVERY stance with EVERY swing. Otherwise, the sabre might as well be a bat. "Ok, so I hit you lightly with my bat, and it did only X amount of damage. But when I hit you hard with it, it does MUCH more damage." If you're using a lightsabre, you should be able to casually slice off a limb without even really trying (in terms of the amount of power you apply to the swing).

The power behind the swing should not count towards lethality, but towards penetration of defenses. IE: if I swing hard, I'll bash through your defenses easier. But I'll sacrifice speed. If I swing lightly, I have speed, but not a lot of penetration power. That's what I'd have liked to see.

The problem with 1.03 is that it had the same high level of blocking as 1.04, it had weak sabres (so when you DID finally get through, you didn't do much damage), AND it had the backstab. Having moves like the DFA, the backstab, and other special moves, combined with weak sabre damage for regular stances led people to spam those moves over and over.

My problem with the DFA was initially that it was too powerful, relative to other moves, without any kind of drawback to it. 1.03 fixed that and added sabre collisions, which made the game more fun, but the sabres turned out to be too weak when combined with high blocking, and the special moves and kicking and such ended up being the way people fought. That was a problem.

As for the talk of balancing saber damage and such between the patchings. I would have loved to see a completely different combat system for sabers. Rather than health and shields having a fatigue meter. Every single hit would be blocked by the other opponents saber but if you have to make many blocks without making an attack of your own your fatigue meter would drop increasing the chance of a lethal hit.

"Realistically" in Star Wars a hit with a saber would more than likely result in the loss of a limb or death. But of course realistically, there shouldn't be any personal shields, and a missile blast would be an immediate kill as would a headshot with any gun.

Hello all,

I have been running a 1.04 server with high saber damage for about a month. It also has fast force regeneration, dismemberment, and a few other tricks. A lot of people who have tried it say they love it and it is their favorite server now. It's called "Chop Shop: HIGH SABER DAMAGE" if you would like check it out.

Edit Taos - I'm glad we understand each other. :cool:

Originally posted by Prime

It seems so easy, doesn't it? A few simple changes by admins would make saber combat deadly and fun. But very few servers seem to have this.

I guess it is more important to allow people to sit and kiss each other. :(

I'm willing to give it a shot. ScaleDamage at 4 you say?

embrace.ath.cx is the server, its running OmniMod 2.2, drop by sometime.

Originally posted by JaledDur

I'm willing to give it a shot. ScaleDamage at 4 you say?

embrace.ath.cx is the server, its running OmniMod 2.2, drop by sometime.

Actually, I prefer saberdamagescale at 2 or 3. The reason being, if it is too high, then even light stance can be a one hit kill. I think this is bad because it reduces the need for red and yellow. With damage at 2 or three, red is a one hit kill, yellow is one or two, and blue is about three.

I'm on a little vacation right now, but when I get back home I'll drop by your server. Let me know what you think of the different settings as well. I believe there is also a server called "Wookie Beer Party" that runs with damage scale at 3.

Archived