Home

What's your favourite MI game, and why.

Mr.Lukie

Which Monkey Island is your favourite?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which Monkey Island is your favourite?

• Secret of Monkey Island
    • Monkey Isand 2: Lechuck's Revenge
    • Curse of Monkey Island
    • Escape from Monkey Island

I just thought it would be interesting to see what order of popularity the games are in. My prediction (as well as my opinion) is:

1. Curse of Monkey Island

2. Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge

3. Secret of Monkey Island

4. Escape from Monkey Island

I look foward to seeing how accurate my predictions are.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard decision between SMI and LCR, but LCR is top. The story is so non-linear. In this, I mean you can do pretty much any order you want to after you get rid of Largo. It had great haw haw kneeslapping jokes, funny animation like when you saw off that guy's pegleg, and a masterful ending that is still a topic of discussion on these forums.

Plus, you gotta love the name, it's the only one that has the title come after it. (unlike secret of...curse of...escape from... not that that's bad, it's just cooler. it sets it apart)

Close behind is SMI. The original. The three trials, somewhat nonlinear, but a bit more linear compared to LCR. The silly conversation with Meathook (Cannonball head!) was classic, as was the origin of the "You fight like a cow" joke.

CMI is next. Still good. Great voice casting. Much more linear story. (I liked travelling between islands on LCR) It had good things that the previous ones couldn't have with voices, such as Guybrush "auditioning" for the Barbershop Quartet, another classic moment. Oh! And the introduction of Murray!

EMI was not as great, but sill fun to play. The papery 3d characters stood out over the 2d backgrounds. The file retrieval system on Lucre Island was annoying, too. Even if you know how to do it.

But yeah, LCR, SMI, CMI, EMI.

Guest Das Mole

mi2 all the way! here's my list:

mi2

mi1

mi3

mi4

okay, obviouly, mi4 is deservent of last place, we all probably agree. then mi3, mainly because of the fact that the original two are the best. on a scale of 1 to 10, mi3 comes in at about a 9. unfortunately, it is beaten by mi1 and 2, they're both 10s, but mi2 is just better. probably because of the better humor. but mi1 felt more adventurous. so, mi2 gets first, then mi1 is second. they're both deservent of 1st and if could make it a tie, i would. but for some reason mi2 just seems better for me.

I have to go with Secret of Monkey Island, followed by the others in sequential order. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play the series in sequence originally, and the second was the first I played, and I also played it on easy. Upon replaying it, my opinion may well be swayed.

imho

FUNNIEST:

1-cmi

2-lcr

3-smi

4-emi

BEST PUZZLES:

1-lcr

2-cmi

3-smi

4-emi

BEST MAIN STORY:

1-smi

2-emi

3-lcr

4-cmi

BEST STORYLINE:

1-cmi

2-lrc

3-smi

4-emi

BEST GAMEPLAY/GRAPHICS/CUTSCENES:

1-cmi

2-emi

3-lrc

4-smi

ORIGINALITY:

1-smi

2-lrc

3-cmi

4-emi

FINAL RESULT:

1-cmi (18 points)

2-lrc (17 poiknts)

3-smi (15 points)

4-emi (10 points)

MI2 for sure, it has so much.

The adventure, the gameplay, the atmosphere, locations you want to visit again and again, memorable characters, hilarious jokes and of course the non linear puzzles which aren't frustrating at all.

No other adventure game has beaten mi2 in all of these aspects yet, for me it is the perfect adventure.

SMI and CMI come close in 2nd but they still didn't manage to capture the same atmosphere the second game had.

SMI is my favorite. Here's my scores for each game.

Best Story:

MI2

Mi1

MI3

MI4

Best Puzzles:

MI1

MI2

MI3

MI4

Best Graphics:

MI3

MI4

MI1/2

Best Guybrush:

MI1

MI4

MI2

MI3

Best LeChuck Sidekicks:

MI2 (Largo)

MI3 (Murry)

MI1 (Bob)

MI4 (Ozzie)

Best Humour:

Tie

Best Monkey Island:

MI1

MI4

MI3

MI2

Best Elaine:

MI1

MI3

MI4

MI2

Best LeChuck:

MI4 (All)

MI3 (Demon)

MI1 (Ghost)

MI2 (Zombie)

Best Stan Job:

MI2 (Used Coffins)

MI3 (Life Insurance)

MI4 (Real Estate)

MI1 (Used Ships

Overall:

MI1

MI3

MI2

MI4

Upon replaying "LeChuck's Revenge", I am simply amazed and astounded by the game. In my opinion, it's the best by far. The only thing it lacks in are graphics, and honestly, in some ways, the pixels are a good thing. It just seems to fit the game here.

And even though the music of "Curse of Monkey Island" was better quality, I think this one has the best composition overall.

I would have to say:

1.CMI

2.LCR

3.EMI

4.SMI

1. Just plain fun, no confused doors to find or bolders to fit in the right hole. CMI has out of doubt the best voices and I like the 2D-grafics.

2. I like the Icelands and the maskerade (gutbrush in a dress) *g*

I also like the grafics here of some reason.. and it's pretty fun too.. miss voices.

3. Not that bad after all, it's pretty hard thought, I was really confused on monkey island! the bolders and to cometo the other side and those things.. (i'm dumb I know) *g* well.. anyway, I liked the school for once. ;)

4. umm.. I don't know really.. it's not that fun.. running around looking for undead pirats underground isn't my thing.. urk.. (why the heck are you playing MI!?) :p

well that would be all..!

//siz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Croatian Guybru

1...Seret of monkey island.

It was revolution ,everything after is just a evolution!!

Monkey Island evolves, but it doesn't... revolve.

[Joke courtesy of Alan Partridge.]

Monkey Island 2 all the way. At its best moments, it oozes atmosphere. Mmm.

Guest Tim Schafer

Alan Partridge is indeed, funny. Ever see The Parole Officer? I think that was the name of it...

Originally posted by Al-back from the BigWhoop

how could you not like MI3 humor??? it was the funnier imo, MI4 was the silliest.

(im really curious, wot MI4 jokes you found awsome...erm...ly funny?)

I love every MI games humor. I just found the other 3 funnier.

One MI4 joke that stuck in my mind is:

Guybrush: What's with all the dead animals?

Ozzie: I like having them around. They remind me where I came from.

Guybrush: Burbank?

I found Guybrush in MI4 to be the funniest one.

Archived