Home

Enable Debug Mode in Monkey Island 1 + other Lec games

Benny

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I've not succeeded either. But this thing is wrote all over the Web. Even thought, I'm starting to think it is refered to the Last Crusade Action game. I've done much tries typing "IEHOVA" in many different ways as suggested by the second trial in the game, but nothing (yet).

That's the code you use to activate the level skip in the action game I'm afraid!

~ Johnny

I remember waaay back when Indy 3 was shining new, a friend of mine used a command line option to get into a sound player thingy. It wasn't an "in game" player/debugger. You HAD to quit and restart indy3 to play.

That was Indy3 Ega/Cga. I had an hercules monitor w/Cga emu, so I couldn't play the Vga version (wich wasn't out there yet anyways), so I don't know if the player is in there too.

Originally posted by Drejj

I remember waaay back when Indy 3 was shining new, a friend of mine used a command line option to get into a sound player thingy. It wasn't an "in game" player/debugger. You HAD to quit and restart indy3 to play.

That was Indy3 Ega/Cga. I had an hercules monitor w/Cga emu, so I couldn't play the Vga version (wich wasn't out there yet anyways), so I don't know if the player is in there too.

To get into the sound playing mode you start the game with 'S' as an argument. I.e. indy3.exe S. This only works with the CGA/EGA version I think.

You don't have to quit the game to get out of this mode though, just enter 0 where it asks which sound to play to start the game as normal.

All this stuff about debuggers in Scumm games is simply amazing! Why didn't anyone think that it would be useful to have a debugger or console into the engine? Sure the developers of Scumm thought the same thing, and probably every Scumm game out there ships some kinda "exotic" features like these :)

I think there are actually a lot of games with debug modes built in. After all the developers and play testers have to have a way of skipping certain levels and test out the code. In id games there's always those "cheats" like god mode and no-clipping mode. They aren't there for lazy players to undermine the game, they were implemented to check for errors.

The difference between LucasArts titles and other games is that there are a lot of dedicated fans who dig into the program code and data, thereby finding such stuff.

Main post updated with debug codes for Loom, LoomCd, Last Crusade Ega, Last Crusade Vga, Monkey Island 2, Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle, found by an annoymous source.

Monkey Island 1 ega has debug functions in some of its scripts:

"." bypasses the copy protection.

"!" gives you 100 pieces of eight.

"@" forces Stan to sell you the boat.

"#" completes a trial.

"&" sends you to the finale with LeChuck.

"*" sends you to the end.

"(" beats the Sword Master.

Some key prints the machine speed as either 'Molasses machine', 'Street legal machine', or 'Trans-warp drive machine'.

Some key switches the control between 'Two button userface' and 'One button userface'.

Most of these functions are in script 4. No-one has found out how to activate them yet though.

Ahoy there, mateys. I have found some new functions to MI1 and MI2. I don't know if this function is in other games, but it's possible. Anyway, here is the new discovery:

(All the numbers is the numbers over the keyboard. The numpad won't work.)

After the debug mode code, press one of the buttons under.

MI1 (CD)

1 - Change character

2-6 - Couldn't find anything

7-8 - Change text color

9 - Couldn't find anything

0 - Couldn't find anything

MI2 (CD)

1 - Change character

2-6 - Pick up moves

7-8 - Change text color

9 - Couldn't find anything

0 - Look through all the rooms (I think. At least something like that happens)

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing around in debug mode for Loom CD, and I discovered some interesting stuff.

Warp to Screen 01. There you'll find an alternate LucasArts logo.

For those who wondered where the close-up character portraits from the EGA version went, they're still buried on the CD in glorious 256 color. To find them, warp to the screens in the numbers 50 through 90. They're buried somewhere in there.

(Yes, all of this can be discovered using Scumm16, but this works just as well.)

• 5 months later...

The thing that facinates me is playing with the funky 'switch character' thing in MI1. I cracked up when I switched to the rat in the jail, then went around and talked to people. In MI2, something really weird happens when you try to switch to the Spitmaster, since he still keeps trying to move back and forth and yell. Then if you try and spit and the guy suddenly has multiple personalities. Very spiffy stuff!

Just wondering, how do people find the codes? do you just type random phrases until something happens?

I once tried to look using hex editors, but I didn't manage anything. I believe there's another way to find codes -- disassembling, perhaps.

BTW, Rapp Scallion found some very nice tricks in Monkey 1 & 2 (but these doesn't works in other games). Changing character is very nice. Funny things happens... i.e. go to Phatt mansion in Monkey 2 and suddenly change your character to the guard near the stairs. Then *heheh* he'll be telling himself not to go upstairs, and will move away from the stairs, then he'll start asking questions and also answer them by his own self just like he's crazy.

Another funny thing is in Monkey 1... go to the lookup point and change character to the old lookout man. You can move him and play the whole game using the old man! There are some graphics glitches, but it's very fun; when you go to the Scumm bar and talk to the important looking pirates, one of them will tell the old man 'What do you want, boy' as if it were the young guybrush.. :)

Also, you can control quite well the little rat in the streets, and you can even open doors, talk to peoples, and I wonder what happens when you pick up a sword fight while you're playing the rat... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just found the debug mode for Full Throttle:

Code - matilda (For Mac. demo and full game)

Code - swordfish (For PC demo)

Activate key - Ctrl + D

Ctrl+E Set variable

Ctrl+F Fast mode

Ctrl+G Goto room

Ctrl+L Boot param

Ctrl+O Pickup object in room

Also works in Curse of Monkey Island:

Code - matilda (Don't count the key pressed after level displayed)

Activate key - Ctrl + D

Ctrl - Hold to speed up the game

Shift+A - Choose a different actor.

Shift+F - Actor follows walk boxes

Shift+I - Actor ignores walk Boxes

F9 - Play low pickup animation.

F10 - Play high pickup animation.

Shift+B - Make actor face to the back.

F - Make actor face to the front.

7 - Decrease actor talk color.

8 - Increase actor talk color.

Unfortunately the debug code word isn't set for Sam & Max or The Dig:

In Sam & Max it checks against the string of scumm var 111.

In The Dig it checks against the string of scumm var 89

But those scumm vars are never set to any strings by the boot scripts.

So there is no way to enable their debug modes without patching the exe file.

Archived