Home

which pilot would come out tops in a one-on-one among the following?

benTantilles

which pilot would beat all others listed here in a 1-on-1 dogfight?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. which pilot would beat all others listed here in a 1-on-1 dogfight?

• Wedge Antilles (x-wing)
    • Boba Fett (slave one)
    • Han Solo (falcon)
    • Soontir Fel (tie interceptor)

who'd ya think would win in a battle in their vehicles of preference (edit- at the peaks of their respective careers in flying)? i'm with wedge...while the falcon is better shielded & the slave one's fairly stuffed with gadgets, the x-wing's the most all-rounded craft. with its arsenal of torpedoes and in the hands of someone as competent as wedge-the epitome of a fighter ace....he'll be undefeatable

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He TAUGHT Wedge at the Acadamy.

MY ASS!!!! fel taught tycho, hobbie, biggs and many others BUT NOT WEDGE. wedge is a self-taught genius (ok...i must admit he received some-but not much-training and advice from ex-commanders eg garven dries, ackbar) who grew to be the greatest pilot the galaxy ever saw thru a combination of factors: his unparalleled dexterity & reflexes which allowed him to gain masterful control of the x-wing's stick in a relatively short period of time, his sharp & creative mind which permitted him to devise new tactics (from those as simple as starfighter tactix to long-term strategies) for use against the enemy, his courage, his superb leadership, his long experience with the x-wing that allowed him to perfect his skills and a whole truckload of other talents. wedge_hrs.jpg

all hail wedge! the best fighter pilot in the galaxy!

THAT is true... he got some great experience back in the days before the Alliance and his Imperial Academy days. I mean Booster Terrik knew how much damage Wedge coulda done if he had lent him that Z95 (lol haven't read the books in ages so correct me if i got any of that wrong)

I like the rivalry between Wedge and Fel though... I mean how pissed off would you be if your biggest rival was married to your sister lol...

THAT is true... he got some great experience back in the days before the Alliance and his Imperial Academy days. I mean Booster Terrik knew how much damage Wedge coulda done if he had lent him that Z95 (lol haven't read the books in ages so correct me if i got any of that wrong)

heyman...wedge never attended the imperial academy. his downing of hask's buzzzer was the first time he participated in combat (and he did a good job at that, too...downing an armed freighter with hiz z-95). he was pretty much a raw recruit when he signed on for the alliance.

to be honest... i think Han has a good chance.....

i mean come on.. he is the best with the falcon.. he could fly it on the side of a stardetroyer. and flew a bit of the trench with taht thing.....

Wedge may be good.. but dont count out Han...

wraith-

yeah, han's a good pilot. that's why i included him in the poll.

he is the best with the falcon

of course....it is his ship, after all. but let's not 4get that wedge's the best with the x-wing

he could fly it on the side of a stardetroyer.

anyone could.

and flew a bit of the trench with taht thing.....

and wedge flew thru the whole thing. and the dsII.

all things considered, i think wedge'd win. i mean cmon, the x-wing's a more manoeuvrable fighter than the falcon. their speed & armament are roughly equal, and the falcon is better shielded, but still...dogfights are wedge's forte. han's a good flyer, sure, but he's more proficient at escaping & running away then dogfighting. he would, however, take a lota killing.

vader-

luke doesn't have the proficiency or skills to match wedge....his only saving grace is that damn Force of his. wedge's talent for flying far outweighs luke's. the only way luke could even be considered 2b on par with wedge was coz his instincts were good...thx to the Force. like what jacen said in explication of his sister's better performance in the asteroid belt- jacen had the Force, but jaina had the Force AND piloting skills to complement. wedge lacks the Force, but he compensates for this to surpass luke's competence thru sheer piltong skill. farmboy doesn't stand a chance against wedge.

ok...i needed to vent that somehow. awaiting rational thought to take over =D...ok..good point, vader. luke's a great pilot with excellent instincts & reflexes (owing to his mastery of the Force) who might be able to match wedge's skills. so i take it you're of the opinion that luke could best wedge in a dogfight?

ooh ooh, I know who the best Pilot is!

Anakin Skywalker :p

I still think Fel would win. He's had mre experience, he flies an unshielded ships ans survives a lot, and he's flown X-Wings too. And Fel was sorta self-taught/learned from his dad before going to the Acadamy.

great points, lynk. :) wedge kicked raptor ass in the interceptor.

i think it's pretty much universally acknowledged that force sensitives have some amount of skill in flying. however, some Force sensitives-eg jaina- are superior to others thanx to their natural talent. jacen admitted so himself. wedge may not have the Force, but he has more than enough talent to make up for it.

ANAKIN SKYWALKER?!?!?!

that runt? he was, according to obi1, a 'great pilot' when they met. what the hell did he do to warrant such a comment? he had to rely on some droid to get him outa autopilot. his twisting of the joystick was, to him, such a momentous event that he announced it excitedly to r2 ("let's go left!"). the only reason why he managed to destroy the control ship was coz he got shot down and, by some trick of fate, managed to land in the ship's hangar. he fired his torpedoes, intending to burn some droids to scrap metal....but he MISSED and hit the reactor instead. it was an ACCIDENT that he destroyed the control ship! then he flies out of the hangar in a FRIGGIN STRAIGHT LINE and calls it podracing. what superb piloting skills! what incredible accuracy! if that's greatness, then i'd better come up with a new word to describe wedge.

still he is one of the top pilots. which means he should be in the poll.

good point, vader. ok...so we'll start of a new poll: should wedge & luke engage in a dogfight against each other, with ships of equal calibre & all, starting in fair positions...who would win?

:luke: vs :wedge:

wedge would! george lucas himself seemed to think so!

case in point #1

luke was bested @ yavin by some TIE fighter and had to rely on the incarnation of piloting talent-that's rite, wedge- to save his tatooine-hailing ass. wedge was never seen to be in a situation with a tie on his tail. why? coz he was too good for them! some farmboy fans might argue that that battle of yavin was centered around luke, and wedge might've had a tie on his tail...it's just that the movie didn't show it. plausible, but unlikely. the fact that wedge was free enough to tackle luke's problem when inferiors like darklighter (no offence, biggs-jus stating a fact) had their hands full just goes to show that wedge was on top of things in the battle- which can be attributed to his superior piloting skills.

case in point #2

also occurs @ yavin. wedge was the ONLY pilot with the evasive skills to manoeuvre thru that restrictive trench outa vader's way. everyone else- garven, dutch, biggs (who was equal to or better than -albeit marginally- luke)- got fragged. luke wouldve been so too had it not been for the timely intervention of han solo (vader's "i have u now" implies that he was within mere moments of flaming his son). luke needed han to get him out of the trench alive. wedge didn't- he had the skills to do so himself.

case in point #3

hoth. wedge was the first guy to trip an ATAT, testament to his skill. some dissidents may claim that the kill should be attributed to wes janson-wedge's gunner- which is true, to a certain extent. wes did make that great shot, after all...but let's not 4get that one needs a pilot skilled enough to actually fly close enuf to the walker for the gunner to shoot it & to fly around it to wrap the ATAT's legs in the tow cable. a significant part-if not the majority- of the kill should be ascribed to wedge. dissidents whine again: "but dack was killed before luke had a chance to trip the ATAT!" true, but even HAD dack survived, they would've still been downed by that ATAT. wedge has the skills necessary to weave thru the walkers' crossfire...luke (and zev and whole lota other pilots) didn't. so there.

case in point #4

wedge chose to fly at endor, but luke opted to go the forest moon instead. why wazzat? he wanted to be with his friends? he wanted to meet vader? EXCUSES! he didn't have the guts to participate in a space battle of the death star's scale again, for he was aware of the high casualty rate that the reds & golds sustained @ yavin. wedge flew @ endor AND he survived.

okk...that's a pretty poor point. but still, wedge distinguished himself well @ endor, blowing up hapless TIEs and manoeuvring skillfully thru the death star's infrastructure to deliver the killing shot to the North Tower.

see! even the movies imply that wedge is a superior pilot! don't even get me started on the eu...

a lota people just assume that luke's the better pilot coz he blew up the first Death Star. Carbon flush! (that's a pretty cool euphimism for bullsht that was mentioned in edge of victory I) luke blew up the death star while red leader missed coz the former received the intuition to do so from the Force. garven dreis missed coz he couldn't get the torpedo spot on as indicated by the targeting computer- a fault in piloting on his part. WEDGE WOULD HAVE....he has the skills.

in conclusion, should a dogfight occur between the 2, wedge'd fly rings around Luke.

ok..seriously...i think luke's a great pilot, but i honestly think that wedge is better. wedge would've won...but he would've done so just marginally.

han's good, and he CAN compare to wedge....but wedge is just better. i've read n eu movie & eu sources describing how they deal with situations involving combat n dogfights, and i've concluded that wedge's the better among the 2. that's why he's my favourite:D

seriously...han really IS good, but as i said previously, his forte is in outmanoevring other craft- which is, obviously, a boon in a dogfight...but there's more to dogfighting then just outflying someone. u have to outfight your opponent...in terms of pure flying & manoeuvring, han would probably be on par with wedge*** ....but wedge has superior command of the x-wing's weaponry. besides, most of the falcon's armament lies in her quad guns...which han won't have access to if he's flying the falcon. couple that with the x-wing's superior manoevrability....and u get one less bounty for boba fett.

***that's to satisfy all u han lovers...i still think wedge is superior in this aspect

i've already stated several points on why wedge'd beat han in a dogfight....if u dont wanna believe them, well then, that's your error...;)

i think baron soontir fel is by far the best

what makes u say that, duck?

fel got bested by wedge in the battle of brentaal IV. yeah, i know wedge had some help, but still....why do i think wedge's a better pilot, u might ask? good question...since there isn't any basis for direct comparison other than the dogfight above brentaal, i'm relying on 2 things: my personal evaluation of each pilot's performance at the battles depicted in star wars sources (be it the movies or eu material) AND, more importantly, a reference from 'the making of baron fel' (real cool comic. good job, cresp & stackpole :). there was one scene in particular where fel stated that he was almost downed by tycho celchu during a sim run, but that fel somehow managed to evade him, resulting in a stalemate. note that this occurred when tycho was training. during that point of time, fel had been flying for about 3 years. from then on, tho he continued to advance in his grasp of military strategy, his piloting skills kinda remained stagnant -a peak is usually reached after a couple of years of flying, where it stays constant for a while until middle age is reached, where one's reflexes (and hence one's piloting skills) go downhill from there. tycho, however, had plenty of time to improve on his skills between that point and the point of time 1 or 2 years down the road. it's thus safe to say that at the peaks of their respective careers , tycho was on par with soontir--at least, in terms of piloting ability:i'm sure fel was a significantly better strategist.

now for the wedge-tycho comparison. it's granted that wedge is a superior tactician & strategist...but how do u compare their piloting skills? whenever comix/books've shown them simming against each other, the resulting dogfight is constantly shown as a stalemate or a narrow win (the latter of which is usually in wedge's favour). we can infer, however, that wedge is a better pilot in terms of reflexes & pure talent, however, by comparing how the 2 have fared against the real enemy. there are numerous examples of tycho making out worse than wedge when they were pitted against the same foes. eg. starfighters of adumar, tycho's x-wing gets disabled by the same TIE defender which wedge eventually frags. wedge bests turr phennir, the same guy whose dogfight with tycho @ brentaal was a stalemate. these are only the tip of the iceberg...the examples i can think of which are at the top of my mind. i'm sure u'll be able to find many more examples if u delve deeper into the books & comics. as such, we can assume that wedge is a better pilot- not only in tactical ability, but in technical, too. which implies that wedge's technical skills (reflexes, dexterity & such) are better than fel. don't u agree?

well then...now on to the comparison of their tactical/strategic skills. once again, we can't really compare them directly...but i've seen wedge do things which i don't think anyone could compare to. check out starfighters of adumar, where he garners a victory for the outnumbered United Adumari forces, or the enemy lines duology, where he devises all these brilliant plots to keep the Vong @ bay. read the novels, where he captures an entire friggin planet (thyferra in the Bacta War) or where he builds Wraith Squadron (wraith 8...gimme some support here! :p). these are, of course, a lake of the VAST sea of things which've contributed to my opinion of wedge as a superb tactician & strategist, superior to all-including baron fel. i really haven't seen fel do as much.

in conclusion, wedge is superior in both technical & tactical skills and would be able to defeat fel in a one-on-one.

Archived