Home

Concussion Rifle

chris the cynic

I was wondering whether or not you guys had decided to go with the Jedi Knight way of doing it or the original Dark Forces. I remember some talk of it earlier. Also I wanted to point out, because there was some discussion on it, that as I remember it the conc in DF didn’t target multiple people. It fired in an arc, and the animation showed up on what had been damaged in the arc, but the actual “bolt” was a big invisible arc.

I don't know how much this makes sense, but...maybe modify the droid gun? The secondary fire made that bubble thing, if you could make it expand faster and with no visible bubble. Also if you could change the blue lightning that hits a person to a blue flame? I honestly don't know how doable that is (i really want to learn how to code games) but that is pretty much the only idea I would have to help.

Also, the model of the conc in the screenshots IMHO does not look like the original at all, but that is a minor point.

Currently, the Tenloss Distruptor (a.k.a. the sniper gun) will be replaced by the concussion rifle.

I know that doesn't answer Chris' question, which answer would probably be the standard "we're gonna attempt to be as close to DF as possible" answer, though I'll defer to Darth_Linux on that one...

Hope this Helps!

:sbdance

The Concussion Rifle, I believe, is supposed to fire compressed bursts of air that create concussive force, hence the name Concussion Rifle. Besides throwing your enemies into nearby structures at extreme speeds, it would probably have the effect of bone crushes and muscle shredding as well.

Originally posted by Emon

The Concussion Rifle, I believe, is supposed to fire compressed bursts of air that create concussive force, hence the name Concussion Rifle. Besides throwing your enemies into nearby structures at extreme speeds, it would probably have the effect of bone crushes and muscle shredding as well.

cool... thanks for the techincal data. :)

...I guess that's why it made that airy whooshing sound when firing.

Thanks, Emon!

:D

You ever seen Minority Report?

In the car factory scene there are these guns that fire this kind of pulse wave that knocks people back. No funky effects or anything, but you can see this shock wave and then the target gets thrown back a few metres.

I think something along those lines would be cool.

I'm sure you mod devs will come up with something cool for the conc. I didn't mind the effects in either JK or DF. I wouldn't even mind if it looked something like the combo fire of the shockrifle from UT. Just go with what looks good, I say. I think you should keep the sound effects, though. It has a very distinctive sound when fired.

Are you going to have the alt fire for the conc. as well? It was kind of like a directional sonic shotgun blast at close range.

Originally posted by StormHammer

going to have the alt fire for the conc. as well? It was kind of like a directional sonic shotgun blast at close range.

Although I was against the Bryar charge and the axe, I am all for this. It got quite nasty fighting off guys two inches from yourself...

However, you don't have to alter the ammo drained, because then people would keep using that once they got it and once they beat the game I would think...

Originally posted by Emon

Keep in mind that the

Concussion Rifle does more than push you, it also kills you by crushing your bones.

Yeah it's pretty nasty. A satisfying "scream" should also be added :)

Haven't seen you around here for a while Emon, welcome back!

I was just wondering if it would be possible to import quake 3 animations or weapon efxs in to the JkII engine(Im pretty sure it can be done with models). If this is possible couldnt all of the stuff needed for the conc. be made in quake then transported.

Just a thought

The tools are readily available for doing the models, efxs, animations, etc. for creating new JK2 weapons.

The DF team is already in the process of creating alternate models for most of the weapons, and there's little point in creating them for Q3 and bringing them into JK2, really.

I like the idea of a new conc gun, but I'm concerned about its role in the game. If the developers alter some important parts of the game, but not others, game balance could be compromised. I hope this will be adressed before any really important changes take place.

-PS- Any comments on the impending Boba Fett showdown? I'm interested in what you folks have to say.

SPOILER EDIT

Hey this is still going on, cool. All of this sounds good. The conc was like a crunch your bones version of force push which is in turn like a crunch your bones version of the minority report gun. So that means that everyone seems to agree pretty well about what it is we want.

And of course who could resist a satisfying scream, maybe even a bone crunching sound.

Just don't forget that it can get you too, if you shoot at something that's too close.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived