Home

Concussion Rifle

chris the cynic

The problem is that Raven doesn't make the call on it. LucasArts and Activision have to agree to release the SP SDK. I have corresponded with James Monroe of Raven, and he indicated that he was really going to try to push LA & Act. to release the SP SDK, which would be a great help to us.

However, for the time being, we will have to be content with working with the MP engine, which has its limitations, but we will try to work with it as best as we can.

Hope this helps...

:holosid:

Originally posted by Count_D00ku

Considering that JKII is by today's standards obselete and in the process of being replaced, LEC and Activistion don't have much to worry about.

That's what one would expect, but the dynamics of company politics is really screwy. Hopefully they won't see releasing the SP SDK as a "threat."

Well, the way I see it, the team has two or possible three options:

1. Try to use JO's SP and hope like hell an SDK comes out so the mod won't suck.

2. Recode the AI, scripting and everything for MP so the could have new weapons and some new, special NPCs. Deal with the horrid rendering engine of multiplayer.

3. Wait until JA comes out and port the mod. Possibilities here:

A. Raven tells us SP JA will be much easier to edit than JO, and will have a lot of new externalized data that we can edit.

B. However, the SP may not be enough yet. Raven has ICARUS II scripting for multiplayer in JA, no doubt for their Siege game mode. There's a slight possibility that AI is already in MP due to Siege or another game mode. If not, the prescene of ICARUS II should make it easier to port. If AI and ICARUS II exist in MP, and you can deal with any crap the MP rendering engine gives you (it should be more polished this time around), go with MP so that you have unlimited possibilities.

I feel you should not port the mod. Why? I am not getting JA for PC, because like Collins, our PCs may have trouble running it. I have enough difficulty with JO as it is...

I know you won't do that just for me, but I'm sure lots of others will be denied this mod as well...

Also, JA's SDKs will not be too much varied from JO's will they? They're not that different of games.... (of course, I have no clue about editing and SDK's meaning has slipped from my memory :rolleyes: )

That is basically the unknown quantity, Katarn07. We really don't really know how much better/worse JA is going to be, or how much it would buy us to switch.

Our problem right now is that without a JO Single-Player Software Develompent Kit (SP SDK), it's very difficult to replicate the gameplay of DF, since the MP engine really was not designed to work the same way as the SP game. I'd guess that, from what i've seen of the Elite Force SP SDK, that under the hood the SP and MP games are basically two different games entirely, except that they share the same animation system (Ghoul2).

What's my preference?

My hope is that when JA is released, LucasArts will allow the release of the SP SDK for *JO,* not JA, and we can continue working with JK2, thus allowing you to play without upgrading to the new game.

But if they release tools for JA (and not JO) that allow us to do what we need to do with the mod, then we will have no choice but to move on to the new game.

Trust me. I'm going to JA as well, if the mod support is really what they say it's going to be. I'm just hoping that it's not all marketing hype.

However, I'd settle for a JO SP SDK over a JA MP SDK, since this mod is an SP game, and I think it's a little more likely that they'll release the SP SDK for the "old game."

But we shall see. If there's an SP SDK for JA, then I'm there!

:D

katarn....if your system can barely handle JO and you think JA will overpower your system....then you should think about either: upgrading, or turning down the graphics so that your screen is a bunch of blocks. if you have something worse than a 733mHz + GeForce2, then you should think of upgrading, id say. and yes, since JA is using the same engine as JO (enhanced Quake 3), then there shouldnt be much difference. wait...i just looked at my JO box and the CPU requirement is 350 mHz. so youre having difficulty running JO Katarn? well...::ahem::UPGRADE::ahem:: ;)

No duh. I'm not that stupid... :rolleyes:

But, :ahem: 16 (in less than 30 days) :ahem: no income :ahem: decided it best for a 180 dollar XBOX than a 500+ upgrade :ahem:

By the way, the graphics settings are all set to minimum. it runs, but not to its full potential and it does experience the occasional crashing...

Whatever guys. If you do port to JA, there is no way I could play it... :(

I'd say get some petitions to get the SP SDK, but those never work :mad:

There was a petition for the SP SDK, but it never came to worth, anyway I doubt what an SP SDK Petition would achieve anything, it's more likely Lucasarts would would say piss off we have your money, if you want to play another Jedi Knight game; wait for Jedi Academy which we can make alot of money off.

Although I don't have any experience of releasing Software Development Kits of any any kind, it would be logical to presume that they won't release it for JO, rather JA because although I can't see into the future if they release another Jedi Knight game I pressume it will be on a different engine, therefore it will create a whole new impact and gaming experience. So I think the fact that there was no release of the JO SP SDK was because LucasArts knew they were making a game on the same platform, and maybe did not wanted to be outdone by a good SP MOD, as JO and JA are on the same platform they are bound to have some similarities, therefore the release of an SP SDK for JO was bad business from LucasArts point of view.

Archived