Home

Some Jedi Academy Info For You From Raven

Kenn Hoekstra

Here's some info straight from Raven/LucasArts/Activision about the upcoming Jedi Academy game. Enjoy...

Lightsaber – The player will start with a lightsaber he creates choosing from different hilts and blade colors. The player will be able to use the lightsaber for the entire game, eventually earning the right to wield a saber staff, or one lightsaber in each hand. A full range weapons and Force Powers is also available to the player, as in Jedi Outcast.

Player Character – As the player, you get to create a custom Jedi character to play through the game with, choosing from hundreds of potential combinations. As a student at the Jedi Academy, you will train under Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn.

Timeline – The game takes place one year after the events of Jedi Outcast; fourteen years after A New Hope.

Game Engine – Jedi Academy uses a heavily modified version of id Software’s Quake III: Team Arena engine. New features added since Jedi Outcast are:

· Character customization system - allows players to create their own Jedi in both SP and MP (estimating 2160 combinations currently)

· Ghoul II enhancements including the Ghoul infinite Model modification system - Allows for modular model enhancements, custom colorization, and expanded animation support

· New ICARUS II scripting system for Single player and Multiplayer. Now allows for scripted events in multiplayer matches.

· New map creation tools allowing for models to be used as in world objects instead of just textures. Creates richer 3-D environments.

· New non-linear mission progression system.

· Raven’s ARIOCHE terrain system.

· Portal skies

· Rag doll skeletal system

· Enhanced vehicle system. Allows for new ride-able vehicles in addition to previous drive-able ones

· Character and vehicle enhancements designed to enable expanded mod support. Modders will be able to design their own Jedi, character outfits, sabers, etc.

Development – Jedi Academy is being developed by Raven Software in conjunction with LucasArts and Activision. LucasArts is publishing and distributing the game in North America. Activision is distributing the game in all non-North American territories.

There ye be...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the information, Kenn. :) Just a few questions based on your info...

Originally posted by Kenn Hoekstra

· Ghoul II enhancements including the Ghoul infinite Model modification system - Allows for modular model enhancements, custom colorization, and expanded animation support

Does this mean that things like backpacks/weapons etc., could be bolted onto characters as well, and included for view from 3rd person this time around?

· New map creation tools allowing for models to be used as in world objects instead of just textures. Creates richer 3-D environments.

Which external 3D model programs are the most compatible, and how easy is it to integrate these models into the level design?

· Rag doll skeletal system

Does this mean we will see full rag-doll death effects, similar to UT2K3?

· Enhanced vehicle system. Allows for new ride-able vehicles in addition to previous drive-able ones

Great news this is. Ride a Taun Taun I must. ;)

PS. Did the Q4 guys like the fan pic I did? :D

Guest Jolts

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

storm, I'm guessing that means you can import/export .obj's or .dxf into radiant or from radiant now making it possible to use any 3d package like 3dsmax/maya/softimage. Similar to what you can do with doom3.

But what about ragdoll on vehicles, what about improved shaders, pixel shading, bump mapping and blah blah blah's? And the facial animation system same as sof2?

Originally posted by Jolts

But what about ragdoll on vehicles, what about improved shaders, pixel shading, bump mapping and blah blah blah's? And the facial animation system same as sof2?

Yes...I thought SOF2's facial animations were much better than JO's...and I would hope they've tweaked it and implemented it into JA.

All these questions...and no answers likely at the moment...

This is, indeed, me. I was formerly registered as "The KISS Army," but I decided to re-register as Kenn Hoekstra, the same name I use on Raven's official forums as well as most other message boards.

My e-mail address is, as always, khoekstra@ravensoft.com, but because I was formerly registered as The KISS Army, I had to use my other address, which is Raven's corporate e-mail address, www@ravensoft.com. Both come to my inbox.

I've posted this same informational message on the official Raven forums as a sticky topic at http://forums.ravensoft.com as well as in the forums of our fan sites at http://raven-games.com and http://www.ravengames.com.

That is all...

Originally posted by ASk

Sorry "Kenn", but you are a definite fake.

Next time, please try to use believable details. Such as email.

Case is closed, this topic should too.

As you can see by Kenn's last post...you sir, are incorrect. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification, Kenn. ;)

*grumbles about doubting Thomas*

:(

So I've been made a fool :mad:

/me turns watch dog mode off

I should really stop drinking caffeine

Rag doll physics is nice, please tell me that you will also provide a good means of accessing them via code :)

Through email responses and our IP Logging system, I can definitely guarantee that Kenn is who he says he is. Thanks for the info Kenn, the GameSpy interview and the note about the RavenSoft Thread has been added to the frontpage news.

WOOHOOO!! New info :) I really like it when developers come to forums :) I really hope there are going to be UT2k3 like ragdoll physics :)

Raven’s ARIOCHE terrain system

I dunno, is that the system used for the random mission generator?? I sure hope so :D Couldn't find more info on ARIOCHE though, although it seems to be in SofII too...

Oh my god can't wait for more info from E3 :D

Thanks again!

PS Make this thread sticky plz :)

Ask next time I don't think you should be so hasty to accuse someone if they are or aren't from Raven, the developers might get discouraged next time from posting if people are going to denounce their announcements as fake and seeing as your a moderator you should know better!

Originally posted by Blademaster_109

i was going to post but some one like lematous might flame for me posting something twice.

Flame you? o.O That's a pretty serious accusasion. As one of the moderators of this forum it is my job to make sure people follow forum rules ie. no double posting, staying on topic and making sure threads are placed in the correct forum. Those are only some of my duties.

I'm sorry you feel in some way I'm flaming you, but really I'm only doing my job.

Hey Kenn, were you able to check your PM inbox about the matter of Identity, I believe I called the PM Name Change or something along those lines, if so, did you want to go with my suggestion. Like I said, let myself or administrator know of your decision.

Archived