Home

Early Look: The New Jedi Order Finale

Swat

The New Jedi Order series of bestselling novels nears its end. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia Organa Solo, their children, and their comrades in the Galactic Alliance rally for their last stand against the enemy that threatens not only the galaxy, but the Force itself.

The stage is set for endgame: Luke, Mara and Jacen desperately try to recruit an unwilling ally for the Jedi's final campaign against the Yuuzhan Vong. Han and Leia learn that hundreds of high-ranking Alliance prisoners face slaughter in a sacrifice to the enemy's bloodthirsty gods. And a lone space station is all that stands between the Alliance headquarters on Mon Calamari and endless waves of enemy forces waging their most decisive assault.

The Jedi's alliances throughout the galaxy are being tested by rogue factions determined to deploy a lethal weapon that will exterminate the Yuuzhan Vong ... and perhaps countless other species. And among the Yuuzhan Vong themselves, the threat of revolt escalates as the oppressed underclass and powerful officials alike fear their Supreme Overlord's mad actions.

There's no turning back for either the Galactic Alliance or the Yuuzhan Vong. Too much has been sacrificed and too much is at stake. Now, nothing can stand in the way of seizing victory ... or facing annihilation.

The Unifying Force, by James Luceno, is the final book of The New Jedi Order series. The book will be released in hardcover this November by Del Rey Books. As a bonus, the book will include a CD-ROM of extra material: the entire text of the first book of The New Jedi Order, Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore, an exclusive look inside the Yuuzhan Vong reference guide used by the authors of the series, Yuuzhan Vong-related excerpts from The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, and a behind-the-scenes interview featuring the creative forces behind the series: Shelly Shapiro, Editorial Director of Del Rey Books, Sue Rostoni, Managing Editor at LucasBooks, Lucy Wilson, Director of Publishing at LucasBooks and author James Luceno.

Hm..well...I just posted this a bit earlier...don't worry bout it. Perhaps a mod could combine the 2 threads or something...

Originally posted by benTantilles

after all this time...i can't believe it's finally coming 2 an end...

does wedge have any role in the unifying force?

Yes I believe I read somewhere that Wedge might be one of the high-ranking Alliance prisoners of the Yuzhann Vong

i dont want to see the NJO end, but i also do. i want to see what the jedi decide about the force, with Jacen's new concepts this could change the whole jedi order. i would like to see a new enemy arive after that, maybe old foes from the jedi apprentice series or stuff.

Originally posted by Masterjo2588

i dont want to see the NJO end, but i also do. i want to see what the jedi decide about the force, with Jacen's new concepts this could change the whole jedi order. i would like to see a new enemy arive after that, maybe old foes from the jedi apprentice series or stuff.

Ugh...are you serious...I just want to see Leia, Han, Luke, Mara, and their children and friends have a WELL deserved break. They have been going at it for 25+ years. Nobody deserves a vacation more than they do.

I wanna see stories about Jacen and Tenel Ka (screw Danni!), Jaina and Jag/Zekk (either is fine with me), IF they resurrected Anakin some how, him and Tahiri as young adults (like in the 20s). And I so wanna see Ben Skywalker grow up....

Originally posted by benTantilles

yes, please!

;)

Ooo naughty naughty :naughty:

:D

I actually don't mind the Jacen-Danni relationship, but I wish the authors would develop it further and have something going like between Jaina and Jag instead of just having Jacen and Danni lying around doing nothing. :rolleyes:

I've actually read something very interesting over at the New Jedi Order Encyclopedia. It may contain spoilers, so beware ;)

It deals with Zonama Sekot and its connection to the Yuuzhan Vong:

Message Board member Captain Parck recently made the following point: "Well after some careful thought I think I may have come to a decent conclusion as to the secret Nen Yim derives from the spaceship Vong operatives steal. I think that Zonama Sekot is also the original Yuuzhan'tar. The Vong's long lost homeworld, and it can't get more lost than jumping to another galaxy. Repeatedly throughout the series it is mentioned that Yuuzhan'tar was a lush and green world full of life and stuff. Also it just seems like something they would do, putting the two extreme ends of the Force together on one planet. This could probably also be how the Vong are finally united with the Force, or it may be that they become RE-united with the force." Now, for those that haven't read the small bio for "The Final Prophecy," here's just a small portion: "…Yuuzhan Vong operatives steal one of the world's organic starships for delivery to scientist Nen Yim. Yim's research not only uncovers the mysteries of the planet, but also long-forgotten secrets of the Yuuzhan Vong."

Now, it stands to reason that this makes excellent sense. It seems based on that blurb from TFP, that there is something that hasn't come to light yet regarding the Yuuzhan Vong and their connection to Zonama Sekot, something that we're going to find out. It's possible, I suppose, that the connection is something smaller, just a "coincidence" type of thing that is similar in both the Yuuzhan Vong and Zonama Sekot, but not in common, but with all the hype the New Jedi Order has gotten, I can't see the "major" connection being just a fluke; that there happens to be a planet in the Star Wars galaxy similar to the Yuuzhan Vong. The creators of this arc are very pleased with it, we don't need them to come out and say "we're happy with it" for us to know they are, the authors are excited; the editors and planners have been coming up with something big, something big that's about to hit us all in the nose.

Zonama Sekot has (will) become extremely important in the NJO, but before that the editors even slipped it into, and made it an important part of the arc, of a prequel novel (Rogue Planet, by Greg Bear). If Zonama Sekot were just a coincidence, as mentioned above, there is no way that it would have been integrated into the arc as much as it. The question is, Yuuzhan Vong or not, planets don't just jump around on their own, so how did it gain this ability? I could be mistaken about the nature of how the planet jumps, as I haven't read Rogue Planet for a while, but my theory is that the Yuuzhan Vong installed some type of huge dovin basal or something on the planet for a purpose. I can't actually see the Yuuzhan Vong wanting to have their capitol planet (homeworld) leap around from place to place, but I'll touch on that later in this editorial, so there had to be a purpose for the installation of the basal. Perhaps Yuuzhan'tar's moon was falling, but not by the Vong's doing (see Vector Prime), and the basal was installed to keep the moon in its orbit. Something had to occur then to make the planet get a brain of its own. This area is a bit grey for me; perhaps it's something due to the abundant life on the planet, or perhaps it's something in the structure of the core of the planet itself. But I think it's safe to say that once the planet developed a brain it gained control of whatever type of basal/propulsion system - perhaps a type of advanced world brain? - the Yuuzhan Vong lost control of their homeworld. Let us remember, that the Yuuzhan Vong haven't seen their homeworld for generations, so it's very easy that the entire world could have jumped galaxies.

Again, I don't really remember much about the inhabitants of Zonama Sekot and their appearance, but if the planet jumped around, that implies that the Sekotians would be descendants and evolved members of the Yuuzhan Vong race. This certainly makes a bold statement, and would make us look at the series, especially the parts involving Sekot, in a new light. Another thing to think about, is the fact that maybe, just maybe, the Vong, while they are invading of course, are actually in a blind quest to find their fabled homeworld.

Now, I promised that I would address another option of why the Yuuzhan Vong enabled their capitol planet to be able to jump around from place to place. Let us consider the fact that perhaps the Yuuzhan Vong are not the aggressors. With their conquest over the biological technology world, if a group of invaders set their sights on the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy, how best to protect their capitol planet and their leaders than by making it mobile? We know that the Yuuzhan Vong have been "galaxy-hopping" looking for a place to live while dealing with over-population, but what if, just to give another side to the issue, they weren't driving out of their original galaxy by population, but by invaders, much the same that the Yuuzhan Vong are doing to the inhabitants of the Star Wars galaxy.

This is, of course, all complete speculation and just my take on the issue based on the comments made by a forum member, but it's worth considering. Who knows whether this is all true or not; I suppose we'll find out in a few short months. But given the nature of everything we've been told to this point, it all seems to fit. Should "The Final Prophecy" leave us with a more gripping cliffhanger than the other books have, I think an excellent ending would have Mara looking at Luke and asked what Zonama Sekot translated into Yuuzhan Vong is. And the last words of this penultimate novel would simply be nothing more than, "Yuuzhan'tar."

And I'm also happy/sad in a way that the NJO is ending. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Jacen's knowledge of the Vong and the Force taught to the Jedi...

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

Well, I'll finally know more about Sakot, ect. I just now got FH 2: Refugee. Yes yes I know, I should have had it and finished it last week....

I'm almost done with it. The first half of the book is kinda slow, then starts to pick up later. I'd say its an OK read. :D

Archived