Home

How long more to next release?

UDM

Ok razor I've just checked your website and it reported that you have already compiled the first ASv2. Does this mean R3/R4 will be out either tomorrow or the day after?

yeah, it's possible. I want the project to be completed but it's not possible with the current state of the engine. To make the nessicary animation additions to make the animation system (to make it truely accurate/usable) requires about 4 more data slots in the entityState_t for all the players.

I've been told by Rich @ Raven that there will be open slots in the entity/player state stuff so we can mod it in JKA. I might get back into it then or not.

Unfortunately, working on MotF does get me anywhere because of all the copyright stuff involved. There's a lot of stuff I want to do with the game that would result in a entirely new game instead of a simple mod. I'm also at the point that I'm wanting to mess with engine code but can't without the actual engine code.

Sorry to hear dude.

Here's hoping JA has the goods for you...

(I'm assuming you meant to say 'doesnt' get you anywhere in your post...)

Their's only a couple of mods to my knowledge that have actually gone on to be sold outright (CS and DoD - are there any others I don't know about?)

So I don't think it's really worth getting into modding with the solid idea of making money out of the mod itself.

Yeah - it's the dream - but that's what it will stay for 99% of us!

(Obviously it's just hobby territory for me!)

But didn't you say you were being looked at for a games programming job? Was that because someone noticed your mod? If so, I would say it's possible your mod could very well help get you somewhere...

Tell ya what - I wish I had looked into games programming when I was younger!

I could try and move into it now, but I'd have to take a nasty pay-cut to work my way in. So I think I'm gonna have to stick to the boring MFC GUI stuff now! (Well, it's not THAT boring really - but you know what I mean :) )

Anyway - good luck with your future projects man :)

sorry about that. I don't exactly proofread all my typing due to the fact that proofreading SUXS! :D

Anyway, yeah, I understand that the chances of MotF going retail is null. I meant incorperating the ideas I came up with for MotF into a retail game. Some sort of melee weapon combat game or something. But that's something in the far future I imagine.

Gotta go!

Basically, the messages between client and server are semi-hardcoded, and to change them, you need to change the msg.c, which is part of the engine, and therefore not available to us. Since the engine expects the network packets to arrive in certain order and contain data of a certain type/size, modifying the entitystate / playerstate is not feasible. The engine will ignore the extra packets and this will lead to prediction errors, crashes and general instability (since when you ask the server to fill your *state, unfilled places will have some undefined value, which was there in the memory)

Sorry for more OT discussion, but...

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

Tell ya what - I wish I had looked into games programming when I was younger!

I could try and move into it now, but I'd have to take a nasty pay-cut to work my way in. So I think I'm gonna have to stick to the boring MFC GUI stuff now! (Well, it's not THAT boring really - but you know what I mean :) )

Man, I totally I feel your pain, Renegade. I'm basically in the same boat - got a well established position in a software company (doing VB6/COM-based business apps), a family, etc.

So trying to break into the game programming world at this point in my life is basically just a pipe dream. However, I have really enjoyed working on the DF mod, and I'm looking forward to see what new projects the future will bring with JA or some of the other game engines that will be coming out in the future.

At least here at my place of employment we're moving to Java, which will break the monotony. I'm ready to move on to something different!!!

:sbdance

BTW, razorace, I'm sorry your project won't be fully realized with the JO engine. Many of us are getting not a little bit frustrated with its inherent limitations. Hopefully JA will be a much more positive experience....

Keep up the vision and the great work!!!

Archived