Home

How long more to next release?

UDM

Originally posted by JediStone

BTW, razorace, I'm sorry your project won't be fully realized with the JO engine. Many of us are getting not a little bit frustrated with its inherent limitations. Hopefully JA will be a much more positive experience....

Keep up the vision and the great work!!!

I will, I imagine a lot of the concepts we came up for MotF will end up in some projects in the future. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, don't blame Raven. They're not the ones who put all the client<->server control code inside the engine code. But they have told me that they plan to put a work around in for us modders.

And, yes, techically the animation system is their problem, however, it does work fine for what they are doing with it....I just need more. :D

So basically, will the animation system be able to be imported into JA? Or will you need to start afresh?

I mean seriously, this is one whole new game! Using the mouse to control the saber...it's like VSIM brought into a Star Wars game. You guys ought to talk about it with the Raven guys, might be able to squeeze out a contract of some sort. Maybe with the new animation system on JA, we can have really awesome skill-duels

While I'd love to do something like that, LEC (and by connection Raven) doesn't accept outside purposals for legal reasons.

I'm sure if Raven was interested they'd contact me first. However, I don't think it would fit into their current design plan for JKA anyway.

Personally, I'm thinking that the MotF vision is too big for JK2 or JKA and deserves a full game of its own. Obviously something outside of the Star Wars universe and hopefully in a form where I could work on it as an actual job. Probably medival swordfighting or something.

But that would be something in the long term. I simply don't have the resources/team to be able to do a project like that at the moment. It wouldn't take too much but a little is still more than I got at the moment. :) The hard part would be getting a quality team set up. Frankly, I've yet to meet the people that would have the skills and motivation for such a project.

As for the animation system I cooked up. It totally depends on what the JKA system is like. According to my contact in Raven, they've done some major retooling to it so my code may or may not be needed.

If MotF is continued in JKA, it will be from scratch with some possible cut-and-pasting with sections that don't need to be improved much (Like the True View code).

Well, unfortunately, you have to get "noticed" by the parent company for them to even consider allowing a commerical version of a mod. In this case, the legal situation is very complicated as multiple parties have interests. LEC owns Star Wars and Raven owns the game.

Anyway, yes, we could take the MotF concepts and put them in a non-Star Wars game, but I'd need an dedicated team of game developers to even attempt such a thing. As I don't have the kind of money to form such a team, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Originally posted by razorace

Well, unfortunately, you have to get "noticed" by the parent company for them to even consider allowing a commerical version of a mod. In this case, the legal situation is very complicated as multiple parties have interests. LEC owns Star Wars and Raven owns the game.

Anyway, yes, we could take the MotF concepts and put them in a non-Star Wars game, but I'd need an dedicated team of game developers to even attempt such a thing. As I don't have the kind of money to form such a team, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

See? I told you Raven doesn't give a damn. They just don't give a hell about the gaming community...

No, it has nothing to do with Raven. Raven wants to release it, but they cannot. First of all, id's engine source code is tied in with the singleplayer source code, so they may have to release id's Quake III Team Arena source code with it, which id won't let happen. Second, LEC won't let Raven. Several of Raven's programmers have been pushing LEC to allow them to release various things for singleplayer editing. Maybe it means the sourcecode, maybe it doesn't. It's possible they figured out a way to let us mod more stuff without giving out id's precious Q3TA source.

Besides, with JA's new SP and MP modding capabilities which we'll have our hands on in about five months, there's no real point in bothering with the JO source code. JO projects can be easily ported to JA.

It's really nice when people research things before they post. Too bad we don't see any of that around here. :rolleyes:

Raven employees have stated that they will use the same sort of SDK releases as JK2.

Anyway, I call into question the "new SP and MP modding capabilities". I know there are some code tweaks in the works but I've never heard of anything specific in regards to new modding features. Sure there will be new game features to play with but behound that we simple don't know.

Also, with the number of changes being made, I doubt that mod conversions from JK2 to JKA will be easy. Sure, if you had the skills to mod JK2 you should be about to move stuff into JKA, but it sounds like enough has changed that it will be much more than a simple cut/paste job.

Archived