Home

ScummVM 0.4.0

Benny

Hoorah, ScummVM 0.4.0 is released . For those of you who havent been playing with the daily builds there's been tons of changes since the last 0.3.0a release. Apart from the fixes the ones that'll please most people are the support for CMI and Loom/Indy3/MI1 ega.

CMI with advmame2x filter looks great, it filters all the cutscenes too. The cutscenes might be jerky, if they are use fullscreen mode (press alt-enter) this will fix it.

It seems that many people are still afraid to try ScummVM, you shouldn't be, its far easier than it looks.

1 - Download ScummVM

2 - Download ScummVM Quick And Easy

3 - Unzip ScummVM Q+E into the same folder as ScummVM

4 - Start SVM Q+E

5 - Select the game you want to play from the list

6 - Click the browse button, choose the folder where the game files are (ie the .000 and .001 or .lfl files for most games)

7 - Select Advanced Mame 2x from the graphics filter list

8 - Select a sound mode from the sound mode list if you wish, if you dont it will simply auto-detect the correct sound mode

9 - Choose a language if the game is CMI, Simon1 or Simon2

10 - If the game is MI1cd or loomcd select the drive the cd is in to hear the cd tracks

11- Make sure Write ScummVM.ini is ticked (this will save your settings) and click play

If nothing happens then you havent selected the right folder for the game files.

Ok so that actually sounds very complicated but really it isnt, it takes 2 minutes tops to setup and then you're done. All your favourite lec games with working sound/music and graphics filters that make it look better than the original.

For more experienced users, the ScummVM debugger can be useful/fun.

Press Control d or the tilde key to bring up the debugger.

Typing 'help' lists the commands.

So typing 'room whatever' jumps you to a room, try room 0 in cmi to go to the famous (and useless) ackleys art room.

Typing 'actor 1 costume 3' will change to costume 3 for the main character.

Theres loads, more mess around yourself to see.

Apologies to anyone for whom this is all old hat, I'm just attempting to get more people to try ScummVM.

i think it would be better if when your in the game when u press f5 there is a delete tab and it can delete a saved game

Why?? You can easily delete the savegame file yourself if you really wanted to and as BG pointed out, you couldn't do that with the original games, so why now?

I'd like it if the LOAD button actually did something! :)

Actually I'd like it more if you could turn off the text in Loom.

~ John

Yep, that's right. ScummVM creates a message that says "Press F9 to disable text" -- pressing it toggles the message "Text WILL be displayed" and "Text WILL NOT be displayed". Besides that, there's no change! :(

I've tried adding the "nosubtitles=true" line (that I use for every other game) but that doesn't work either. I'd really appreciate it you could fix this! Thanks!

~ John

Has anyone else had problems when trying to use ScummVM to run CMI straight from CD in Windows? It works in Linux, or if I copy it across to HD.

(Yes, I'm desperately posting fairly random things since nobody else has posted anything today.)

• 3 weeks later...

ScummVM is a cool tool, it works quite fine (ouh, i see we got sum lil BUGGIES out dere.. herherher) and it comes tough.. so you get the respect....!! .. but i prefer VDMSound&VDMSLaunchpad and some DOS-Timing-tools.. and the "EXE-Interpreter" of Scumm. One reason is: i can use my old savegames. Isnt it possible to convert them to ScummVM???? .. hmm. Ill keep watchin it.. for the future.. to see how it goes on with it..

Archived