Home

WIP: Another Link (Legend of Zelda)

Antizac

his eyes are freakishly big or his eye lids are just REALLY wide open, looks like he's either seeing Gannondorf for the first time or he's addicted to crack.

this might just be the screen shots, and I don't know if you can fix this with out ruining the facial expesions. His head's kind of small compared to the rest of his body

but oooh that sword = D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ripping sounds?! That's easy! But would I have to cross the lines of 2 video game companies? Yes. What am I talking about? I have Soul Calibur 2 (GC version starring Link). It has a bio-like mode for every character where you can check out each and every sound effect for their voices! It would be a perfect rip! But I run the risk of being attacked. Plus I don't have an input cable for my sound card. Would a SB Live! even be a good card to rip with?

link_sm.txt

Won't be long now, just a few more things...

...my life is kinda catching up with me at the moment, but like I said it's probably not going to be finished until the end of this month. So, try to hold on until then.

[EDIT:]

Originally posted by Psynex

...Would a SB Live! even be a good card to rip with?

It would if you can find a patch cable to run between your soundcard and your GameCube...

...I don't have a GameCube - does Link in "Soul Calibur" sound the same as he does in "Ocarina of Time"?

Bah, either way I think I'll do it myself, by patching the N64 sound cable through my computer (Old game, fewer licenceing problems.).

I have the ROM also, but I have no idea how I would extract sounds from it...

Link in Soul Calibur sounds freaking awesome! Much like the adult link in Ocarina yes, but with many more sound bites. No spoken language still either, which is good (true to the character). There are a multitude of good sounds. Ya know, I'll capture them for you anyway this weekend; it shouldn't take that long. Do you have a list of sounds? I've never put together a sound pack before so I'm not sure how to label them.

How'd you get Link to walk like that? I could use that info to give Lion-O more character.

Originally posted by squall_dm

Sorry, I didn't feel like doing all the editing myself, but here's a link to a MP3 of Young Link making a bunch of noise. Convert to .wav, do your cut/paste, and reencode it.

http://ryo.vgmidi.com/jk2/link.mp3

Well, thanks, but since it's young Link, it won't sound right - I could try to change the pitch and see what I come up with, but there's background music. If you would have waited until night (on the game) there would be no music, and it would be more useable. Thanks for the time and effort, though. If you do

re-record it, like I mentioned, I would be interested, because I'm thinking about making a young Link also...

Originally posted by Psynex

Link in Soul Calibur sounds freaking awesome! Much like the adult link in Ocarina yes, but with many more sound bites. No spoken language still either, which is good (true to the character). There are a multitude of good sounds. Ya know, I'll capture them for you anyway this weekend; it shouldn't take that long. Do you have a list of sounds? I've never put together a sound pack before so I'm not sure how to label them.

I would love that! Especially anything that sounds like it's from "Ocarina of Time". And don't worry about labeling them, I'll just do it, and I'll pick out the best sounds and give you credit.

How'd you get Link to walk like that? I could use that info to give Lion-O more character.

I just opened him up in Mod View and copied each frame of animation. As, for doing it in-game, I don't know...

I have to agree with kerocool, that the head looks kind of small...although, the neck looks a little long so maybe a tweak in that area could clear things up. If you lengthen the face a bit (drop the chin down) it will give these kind of results: A longer face, resulting in: a more pointed chin, higher cheek bone appearance, and a skinner face (less pudgeyness) giving him more of that Kokirian/elven facial structure. I realize you were crossbreeding anime and realism, but I was thinking to myself that the nintendo licensed model of link kind of already is that crossbreed. Just some things to think about.

On another note, I got my RCA-Stereo converter cable back from a friend I lent it too so I'll get on those sound bites for you. One note...don't give me TOO much credit; I don't want the big N chasing me down for theft. A simple thanks for the work in the readme will do. ;P

Boy, this was a task! My cube hit the fritz so I thought I'd need the weekend to get these for you. My cube wasn't loading any discs at all. I found out a small piece of plastic snapped off (a trigger switch) preventing the cube from recognizing that the lid was closed. Stupid safety specs! I'm going to hardwire that so it will play with the lid open or closed...heh heh heh. If you need more sounds let me know. After my fix last night, I didn't have a lot of time to capture these; I had to wait for the right moment in the background music to hit record so you'd have almost no noise and just sound. There are some more jump, attack, injure, and relief sounds. I didn't record a relief one, though I still can for the bacta canister use sound.

ENJOY! :)

Yes, a Big thanks to everyone for their help and support. I really appreciate it...

Ok, I have all the sounds I need, put together. I added a few more detail thingys to Link today, and I animated his right hand.

Pics:

link_wip4.txt

link_wip5.txt

After that, all I need is to animate the left hand and add on the extra hair, Tupac mentioned. Then, all I have after that, is writing up the readme and submitting it.

Whaddaya think?

I don't know how seriously close you want this to be, but here I go:

his hair's in too many bunches, Link kind of has dog ears coming out fromunder his hat, and his white tunic needs to be the shape of his arm, this might just be because his arm's all ploy-ated but it looks like he's wearing a sweater.

and I belive this is just lighting, but he has some pointy cheek bones.

dude i think this is great.... like seriously how close can u actually get.... really... give or take... i think this is like kick ass.... man can u send me a finished copy.... i really am looking forward to this... to me you are a modeling god... much congratulations.... finally link has come!

Well, if someone wants to do a more accurate Link model, they're more than welcome, to do so. I never said I was going to be accurate with this thing - infact I wanted him to seem slightly more real than he was in Ocarina Of Time - Like Nintendo showcased just before they switched "Wind Waker" over to Cel-shading.

I also wanted to add the facial animations, because some MP mods out there are starting to use them - and modifying the face and head too much, would result in some wierd deformations.

So, anyway, I'm done with the model - I'm going to do a few more skin tweaks, then he should be all set for release...

Here's some fresh in-game screenshots showing off the facial expressions in SP...

link_full1.txt

link_full2.txt

link_full3.txt

Link, without his hat and shield.

link_hair1.txt

link_hair2.txt

Comments?

Archived