Home

ForceMod II - Final beta feedback

Azymn

Is cloaking identical to mind trick? What i mean is that after an aggressive action a bot will be able to see, even though i am still cloaked. Also, it seems that cloaking, just like mind trick, only works on enemies within my vision because sometimes i will activate cloaking and a bot will turn a corner and see me, hehe, then im dead!

I don't know if making the cloaking affect all players regardless of whether they are in my vision would unbalance the merc classes making the scout superior. In any case, i would wish that cloaking would have an effect on all players; also, i would wish that aggressive actions would not negate the cloaking effect on enemies. To balance these out, perhaps you can decrease the amount of time one may be cloaked, or you can increase the amount of time it takes for the merc bar to regenerate.

Anyways, thank-you for the great mod Azymn, GREAT JOB!!!!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloaking vs Mindtrick:

- You can attack without penalty while cloaked.

- Cloaking does affects all enemies, regardless of level.

- Cloaked units can be seen by bots at close range (~20 feet-ish), to simulate how human players could see a cloaked merc as well, but they have a reduced chance to hit you accurately.

So Luke, that's probably why they see you, because you're getting close to them. If you keep your distance, you stay cloaked to everyone. Even if they see you, if you move away they will lose track of you.

I'll double-check the distance they can see at to see if it's too far, but see if this new information helps any.

Looks great Azymn! Big improvement over the previous version!

Like you said I have experienced a mass amount of crashes (the majority with Mercs as you said). The damage scale seems way high but it does make the fights more challenging. The grapple is extremely buggy. There is no grapple-line visible and no swinging, retracting, and detracting...

Everything else is INCREDIBLE!! I love the classes you implemented and the new .cfg's to customize bots. The saber's appearance is vastly improved. The ancient saber is great too. Is there a way to make other blades for the sabers?

A few suggestions:

1) Could you make it so that an invisible blade is possible? This would work great with Gaffi-Stick and Sword mods. However, there would have to be a way to prevent people from running around with invisible blades.

2) I like what you did with the Watto/Maw bots and allow them to hover like they are supposed to. However, could there be a way (possibly another jetpack option?) to remove the jet sounds and the smoke?

I'm crashing every single time I start a game. Within about a minute or so.

And I don't seem to be doing anything specific - usually I'm just running along - just about to get into the action :/

Seems really wierd - I've tried messing around with settings to try and track it down, but nothing seemed to make a difference..!

Ok, my game crashes randomly too. The grapple works fine with the pull and swing, but there is no line showing where it really is, its very hard to see. I have tried what you told me to, and it still didnt block Lightning and Drain. If you launch Forcemod via the Mod menu, the Forcemod section is labeled "Rules" until you click on it. Bryar starts with 0 ammo (except in Jedi V. Merc mode). Choosing lightsaber and guns gives you no guns and twin sabers.

I noticed that i can shoot while at the same time rolling. And as stated earlier, choosing to wield both a saber and guns results in you wielding 2 sabers. For the moment, these are things observed:)

Is there a cvar controling saber throw damage btw?

a couple other notes:

1) two-sabered bots lose their saber 99.9% of the time and instead of just fighting with the other one they wait for the other to be called back (and it never does). this should definitely be fixed. just fight against tavion and you'll see.

2) jetpacked bots don't fly around as much as they did in the earlier beta's. the flamethrower is awesome (i love that bots can use them) but can absorb block it?

Originally posted by bliv

I've not had one crash yet........

Neither have I.

Originally posted by AOTJ_Craig

You think that's weird. While doing things like aerial flips or something with your lightsaber on, you can deflect bullets too =P

That`s a cool bug IMO !

Originally posted by mariners2001

two-sabered bots lose their saber 99.9% of the time and instead of just fighting with the other one they wait for the other to be called back (and it never does). this should definitely be fixed. just fight against tavion and you'll see.

I think the non returnable sabers bug is down to ravens patches but I have noticed it happening a little more often in forcemod 2 Beta3.

Hmmm, when i've been playin or tryin to play with player-made maps, bespin afl style in particular, my game tends to crash. Also, when i tried to play on the Kektik Verslassner map, the same thing happens. It seems to be a memory issue, for my computer will say something to the effect that forcemod2 has caused an error in unknown. However when playing on maps included with the game i rarely if ever crash. Anyways, playin on the maps included with the game still rocks :)

These may prevent the crashes some of you are having:

- If you have two pk3's in your ForceMod_2_beta_f folder, delete the oldest one, 'forceMod_2_beta_f' , and you should be left with only one called forceMod_2.pk3 - then delete your jk2mpconfig from your ForceMod_2_beta_f folder and restart

- make sure f_jmodel is set to "0" - it will crash your machine for sure if it is any another value.

- make sure f_saberdroptime is "1" or greater.

- See if it still crashes if the grapple is never used.

- Try just adding one bot at a time, and playing for a few minutes with that bot before adding another one. Perhaps a specific model is causing the problem

If you have had crashes, please post:

- The character model you were using

- The lightsaber model

- The class (jedi saber type or merc class)

- The map you were playing on

- The bots you were playing with

- Other mods/files you may have in your base directory, or in your ForceMod_2_beta_f directory

And if all of you could please email me your jk2mpconfig.cfg files, especially those who crash alot, and those who haven't had a single crash. I need to compare cvar differences.

I've taken note of every bug you've all reported, and will release an update asap.

more testing....no crashes this time...hmmm....i was just playing the default maps though

anyway...here's more bug reports:

1) the optic radar no longer works (the illumination of the players doesn't work)

2) the other stances weren't working until I went into the lightsaber menu and checked the original stances...some of those options are misleading. might want to double check on that before final release

3) i was in the middle of a fight with luke and he suddenly used a jetpack. i checked afterwards the .cfg and he had "0" for jetpacks....so something isn't completely right there.

questions/suggestions:

1) what's "critical strike" mean? what's its purpose?

2) what is f_mortalwounds? i set it on "1" and in the middle of fights, the opponent and i would get knocked down. ;)

3) could you somehow change the walking animation so that the saber is upright? this has always bugged me...lol

again...great work! best mod i've ever played!

EDIT: also want to add that

Originally posted by rut-wa jodar

I wonder if this suggestion would be viable. Toggable team skins option so FFA skin models can be used in team games.

i COMPLETELY agree with that idea

OK..here's a crash for you:

MODEL: Boba Fett

LIGHTSABER: No lightsaber

CLASS: Merc-Bounty Hunter

MAP: High Dive of the NRG Map Pack

BOTS: Jango Fett (bounty hunter), Ogiko (jedi)

MODS: Han Solo's pistol.

It happened after about 5-10 minutes of playing and happened completely out of no where. No one died right as this happened or anything. Just blasting away at Ogiko in cover with my Stormtrooper Rifle while Jango was flying around blasting at everyone. Very strange...

EDIT- And another:

MODEL: Mace Windu

LIGHTSABER: Mace Windu's

CLASS: Jedi-True Light

MAP: Acid Storage Facility

BOTS: Jango Fett (bounty hunter), Boba Fett (bounty hunter)

MODS: Han Solo's pistol.

mariners2001, excellent data on the crash, thank you.

I'll address the bug solutions in the next email i send out, which will also include a link to an updated final beta.

But, to answer questions:

Q: Is there a way to make other blades for the sabers?

A: Yes, anyone can skin any of the 8 blades by altering the files in

gfx\effects\sabers

So, you could change just a few to add some other favorites in. Even if other machines don't have the same files as you, it won't affect their appearance on your machine.

Q: Could you make it so that an invisible blade is possible? This would work great with Gaffi-Stick and Sword mods.

A: Perhaps i could make the Gaffi stick blade itself invisible, but i won't extend the option to players b/c abuse would inevitably ensue.

Q: I like what you did with the Watto/Maw bots and allow them to hover like they are supposed to. However, could there be a way (possibly another jetpack option?) to remove the jet sounds and the smoke?

A: Sorry, i forgot to update the fm_classes.cfg up top, but setting the jetpack to "5" will disable the FX and the sound, effectively giving you a flying creature.

Q: the flamethrower is awesome (i love that bots can use them) but can absorb block it?

A: Yes, i thought i'd fixed that but on 2nd inspection, it's a bug.

Q:i was in the middle of a fight with luke and he suddenly used a jetpack. i checked afterwards the .cfg and he had "0" for jetpacks....so something isn't completely right there.

A: Well, the cfg only specifies the type of jetpack, not whether or not they can use it. That must be set thru the menus, under jetpack.

Q: what's "critical strike" mean? what's its purpose?

A: "Critical Strike" is a special, double-damage attack the HotShot can do that occurs randomly while fighting, to simulate a lucky shot penetrating the armor or something. The print out is accidentally sent to the target right now, but it will only show up if you are playing as a HotShot and perform the critical strike.

Q: what is f_mortalwounds?

A: When set to 1, any successful attack to the legs will injure a standing opponent, knocking them down. Currently, that is all it does.

Q: I have noticed in beta3 that even pure jedis have a grapple hook if "G" is pressed during gameplay, has anyone else noticed ?

A: The grapple is available to characters as specified in the mercmod menu. When set to 1, anyone can use it, regardless of gametype.

Q: Is there a cvar controling saber throw damage btw?

A: Not right now. Perhaps i'll add one - do the mercs get rocked by that attack too often?

I am having trouble accessing Desaan's and tavions stances right now. Currently, I have f_skillstances = 1, mod_extraStances= 1, mod_allStances = 1. Perhaps I am missing a cvar i need to adjust ?

As for saber throw, it seems that as long as the merc is within range to cause a jedi to throw his saber, it usually means instant death for the merc, as once it is thrown, it is virtually unavoidable. With more than 3 or 4 bots with saber throw, it seemed hard for me to even register a kill for if i was not in saber-throwing range of one jedi, i would be in the range of another:( Hehe, maybe i suck at being a merc, :)

edit:

Also, i think drain seems to affect the mobile battery, as i couldn't jetpack when a bot was draining me:(

make sure you have cf_single set to "0" - it's called "Single Stances: Original 3 stances" in the forcemod->player menu.

It does seem the mercs need some counter to saber throw:

I was thinking of reducing the damage by 1/5 if they roll while getting hit....any other ideas?

edit: Drain does affect the battery, but it's half as effective in depleting it. I'll make it even less effective for this next round.

Archived