Home

Saul Karath's motives.

ras1310

I should have mentioned this when his profile appeared, but it keeps coming up. His profile mentions that he declared the Republic unworthy of his services, so he joined the Sith. Several people have been speculating about what could be wrong with the Republic. I would ask them to remember that is a fantasy, and can therefore keep things mostly black and white. Instead of abandoning the Republic, we can look at why Karath joined the Sith. Probably, it's because he is a power-hungry war-monger. That's why, for instance, Tarkin joined the Empire.

Sometimes the obvious explanation can be the correct one.

RAS

I don't know... Tarkin was pretty much in the Republic when it slowly began to revolve to the Empire. He never changed ships, he simply went with the flow and became a powerful Grand Moff.

Admiral Saul Karath, on the other hand, has been an officer in the Republic for a long time, practiced many officers, and became a memorable war hero during the Mandalorian wars. If I could compare him to another known Star Wars universe character from what little I've read about him so far, I'd would say someone like Admiral Ackbar. Now honestly, can you see Ackbar suddenly jump to the Empire without a well defined reason? Why would the Republic suddenly be unworthy to a loyal officer whom defended the planets and its population for all those years?

To be honest, I can see that the reason might turn out to be a simple "power grab", or "fell to the Dark Side" kinda way... but I still think that there might be more. And I think that his reasons might be a key to the whatever path we'll take.

Besides, it is FUN to speculate!

Tarkin...never changed ships, he simply went with the flow and became a powerful Grand Moff.

Went with the flow?!? He directed the Death Star project right up to the point of actually blowing up planets! Destroying Alderaan was his idea. That's not expediency, that's genuine evil.

As for your other point, when they started the counter-attack, Revan and Malak were (probably) decent and honourable people. The war changed them into monsters. Also, we don't know what Karath's motives were for serving the Republic. He could have been a loyal officer -- or he could have joined the military solely to increase his personal power, and switched to the Sith because they offer him more.

LucasArts has written a new story for this game, so I doubt they would go with the 'corrupt Republic' model of Episode I and II. It certainly doesn't fit the timeline, as far as I know. And finally, I have to deal with a government of questionable integrity in real life. The central idea behind fantasy is to get away from reality.

Went with the flow?!? He directed the Death Star project right up to the point of actually blowing up planets! Destroying Alderaan was his idea. That's not expediency, that's genuine evil.

And there's the point I was trying to make. Tarkin was the evil incarnated, especially for the folks at Alderaan. He already had a hand in the designs of the Death Star project when he was in the Republic, he helped out various corrupt part in the Republic when it still was the Republic, and once the Republic became the Empire, he didn't fight the evil that was Palpatine, but merely went with the flow and helped out the Empire wherever he could. The same can not be said about Saul Karath who seemingly was a honorable war hero until he joined the Sith Empire.

Also, we don't know what Karath's motives were for serving the Republic. He could have been a loyal officer -- or he could have joined the military solely to increase his personal power, and switched to the Sith because they offer him more.

This is something that I realise. But like I said, I am currently basing my speculations on what little information I have about him. But I am not expecting the "Republic is corrupt"-excuse. A powergrab is possible, yes, but Malak might also be blackmailing him... who knows. As always, t'is fun to speculate :D

He got screwed over by the republic for too long.He probably was promotted or given his due respect.He might have joined the sityh for opportunity and revenge.Maybe he''ll turn out to be like that grand admiral thrawn guy from EU.Tarkin...he was played by one of my favorite actors.Sure-he blew up a planet,but he didn't do it for revenge or something,he did it was a test.He was trying to prove a point,make history,prove the Empires superiority over those rebels and any others foolish enough to challenge them.He was cuning,very smart.I doubt he'd let emotions drive his goals.Evil...yes,but in a thinking way,not really a blood thirst way.Admiral Motti was the cheif designer/builder of the Death Star...wasn't he?

Usually there are some people who turn to the dark side because they are not appreciated,while in the good side.Whenever something like this happens,it's not very desirable.Some just stay,some might just turn to the dark side,or take revenge,at a place where they might be more appreciated.

Archived