Home

Sites and Ideas

seniorfrito

Are there any sites where you can imput your own ideas that could be considered for any star wars games. When I say that I mean all games, but mostly Jedi Academy. Does anyone know what stage they are on? There should still be time. I won't tell anyone my own ideas yet, because I would like to know if I could imput my own ideas. I am currently writing a book about a boy who is recruited into the academy by a very young Yoda and I thought I might contribute a little...

Welcome to the forums, seniorfrito. I hope you're enjoying your stay. :)

Now, as far as ideas go...if it's in terms of storyline, you might as well forget it. Most developers come up with a pretty comprehensive game plan right at the start, including the story and all key gameplay elements and features. Along the way, they may tweak the story, or drop some features that don't work.

That's not to say developers don't look at gamer's feedback and wish lists, and sometimes try to include a feature that a lot of gamers may want.

Anyway, as far as submitting ideas goes...where Star Wars is concerned I believe I'm right in saying that any ideas you submit to them they can use with impunity...i.e., they can use any idea they wish without having to give the original author credit. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. But as Luc said, it's unlikely they would use someone else's concepts...because most developers have so many ideas of their own that they want to include in games, and they can never fit them all in. When gamers see a feature appear in a game that they really wanted, it's usually because the game devs themselves wanted that feature too.

Anyway, I don't know of any sites that act as 'idea libraries' for want of a better term. If you want to offer ideas to a particular developer, the best way is to contact that developer directly.

Alternatively, you can join in and start discussions on forums like these, where the developers do stop by now and then.

I have a strange feeling that's why Lucasarts decided to make a Commando style game...because a lot of gamers here and elsewhere have been discussing such a concept on and off for a few years now. That's just speculation of course.

I would say that if you believe you have a good idea, and you want to see it appear in some fashion, you would be better off looking at assembling (or joining) a MOD crew to try and bring it to fruition. You may not (read will not) receive any payment for it...but it would get out into the wider gaming community, and you can credit yourself as one of the team.

Personally, that's the way I would bring my ideas to market in a particular licensed universe like Star Wars. That...or try and get a job at Lucasarts.

If you have a really good idea for a unique game, not based on any other licensed (copyrighted) material, then I'd recommend trying to start your own small development house to try and bring your own unique game to market. That's getting tougher in the current market, but there is still scope to do this...

Anyway, good luck, and feel free to join in the JA discussions going on around here. ;)

Originally posted by StormHammer

Anyway, as far as submitting ideas goes...where Star Wars is concerned I believe I'm right in saying that any ideas you submit to them they can use with impunity...i.e., they can use any idea they wish without having to give the original author credit. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. But as Luc said, it's unlikely they would use someone else's concepts...because most developers have so many ideas of their own that they want to include in games, and they can never fit them all in. When gamers see a feature appear in a game that they really wanted, it's usually because the game devs themselves wanted that feature too.

This is correct. Developers almost never go outside for ideas, and they can use what ideas they wish without giving "credit".

As for getting your ideas in a game, the best way is to probably fill out the questionaires and surveys that occasionally pop up from Lucasarts. Many if the options offered on the last questionaire seem to be making an appearance in JA.

Archived