Home

NDA being dropped

Damarius

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius

They said they would take it down in may, well here it is may 29th, and the NDA is still up. They will not get it down at least until a week or 2. That is my guess.

Yep. At the very minimum. I'm personally guessing a few weeks after that, actually.

If the NDA was lifted too early, then many "disgruntled" beta testers (i.e. beta testers who don't understand what a beta test is all about) would be posting negative information on the message boards on various web sites. Now a beta is understood to have bugs and stuff, but the average Joe out there doesn't realize that. And "bad news" is always remembered for far longer than "good news".

When the list of "known issues" gets closer to something the devs can live with, you'll see the NDA lifted. Because at that point they won't care about that list being made public.

Originally posted by Lord_Vessen

The wait goes on...Lets protest! NDA MUST BE LIFTED!

That wouldn't work, it would just make the game bugged. And we don't want that, we want a perfect game. Which has had years of hard work into it. :)

Which means swgalaxies. :D

Originally posted by -=ReApEr=-

That wouldn't work, it would just make the game bugged. And we don't want that, we want a perfect game. Which has had years of hard work into it. :)

Which means swgalaxies. :D

EXACTLY, -=ReApEr=- !!

I've waited for this game for YEARS, so waiting a handful of extra months doesn't bother me at all if means getting a game that I will enjoy as much as I enjoyed EQ (played EQ for 4 years, and only recently cancelled my account in order to concentrate on the SWG beta).

*cough cough*

a lot of SPAM in this thread... you could almost feed a hungry family with it :p;)

please people.. a bit more typing... thats not very hard is it... not just one word.. please.

and the NDA will not be broken for at least another week :D

Originally posted by Wraith 8

*cough cough*

a lot of SPAM in this thread... you could almost feed a hungry family with it :p;)

please people.. a bit more typing... thats not very hard is it... not just one word.. please.

and the NDA will not be broken for at least another week :D

Ok, sorry wraith. :(

In my opinion, the NDA will be lifted soon. Lets wait for tonights feature, and see if we can judge from that. :)

I just hope it's soon.....and by that I mean no more than a week and a half to two weeks TOPS. See, I just don't understand NDA's. They say they do it (they being devs) to add suspence for the games release and all that jazz. Well, if anything it's having an opposite affect (not completely because obviosly people haven't given up on the game because of the NDA) because people hardly know enough. Think of it this way, if the NDA was lifted yesterday the board activity would skyrocket, people would be so estatic about playing the game because they can see more in game screenshots, they could start mapping out and discussing their characters, they can begin making their own professions (discussed on the "spying" thread), they can get tons of valuable feedback from beta testers, PAs can start working on their structure and economy in time to have it ready when the game launches, and SOOO much more. All of this would be enough to fill our mouths until the game was released indefinately.....I just don't see why they haven't lifted it yet.

Yeah i hope the NDA is lifted.............I want to hear all the great stuff................Man i cant wait till this game comes out.......I dont think any of us will see the light of day again..........We will play all night and sleep all day..............Sounds good.............

Originally posted by Jackrabbit

Last I heard was May. ::looks at calender:: They better hurry.

mmm

too late :p

personally i really dont think they will lift the nda till like.... a week before the actual release i remember last time we had a release date *quitely laughs at people taking those days off work school (sorry:p) even though a release date was announced they never said anything about lifting the NDA ...... and so the release was delayed hehe

Originally posted by ShadowGecko

yeah i think it should be lifted... but first i must know what NDA stands for :( sorry

It's the agreement that bounds the beta testers, to not tell no one about the beta. :) I forgot what the NDA fully stands for though. :o

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

I just hope it's soon.....and by that I mean no more than a week and a half to two weeks TOPS. See, I just don't understand NDA's. They say they do it (they being devs) to add suspence for the games release and all that jazz. Well, if anything it's having an opposite affect (not completely because obviosly people haven't given up on the game because of the NDA) because people hardly know enough. .....I just don't see why they haven't lifted it yet.

Donnie, the NDA really doesn't have much to do with injecting a feeling of "suspense" into the playerbase. It actually has several valid business concerns behind it, particularly in the world of software development. I'll throw a couple out here and you can see if they make any sense at all.

1. Staying competitive

This is extremely important, especially in the PC Game industry. If you don't have an NDA during your extended beta period, then your competitors can potentially beta test your game (or hire a beta tester to feed information to them), determine that they like your feature set better than their own, and rush their product to market before yours is complete. Regardless of quality, "first to market" is sometimes the deciding factor in whether or not a business will succeed. NDAs are routinely used to hide feature sets from competitors until a product is VERY close to being released.

2. Damage control

If the NDA were lifted TODAY, the message boards would be FILLED with messages from beta testers who are frustrated that they can't: log on, stay connected, get SWG to work with their hardware, do X, go to Y, etc. etc. You'd see veritable laundry lists of bugs posted publicly. The focus would, publicly, immediately shift from the positive things the game will bring to market, to it's current unfinished state. There are many people who would base their purchase decision off the *current state* of the game, regardless of the fact that it is a beta. They will refuse to purchase the game because they heard, at one time or another, that "so and so couldn't log on" or "so and so had a REALLY hard time staying connected" or "So and so couldn't even get SWG to run on their system!", etc. etc. Most of us here on this board (and others) are among the privileged few who understand the concept of a beta test. WE know that a beta is going to be buggy and unstable. But then we are among the "fans" of SWG. The vast majority of people out there are sitting firmly "on the fence" and will have their purchase decisions affected by either positive or negative items.

That is why as beta testers we can't tell you anything good or bad about the game. If we tell you something good about the game, then we take a very strong chance of hurting SOE under category 1 above. If, on the other hand, we tell you something bad about the game, then we stand a very strong chance of hurting SOE under category 2 above. Either way, SOE loses by not having an NDA, or lifting it too soon.

Anyway, does any of that rambling make sense to anyone?

Archived