Home

Concussion confirmation? in Elecplay Preview

txa1265

OK, it isn't official, but check this latest preview:

http://www.elecplay.com/preview.html?article=11127

Each of these new previews offers one small nugget different from the rest. In this one it is the statement

"Han Solo's DL-44 Heavy Blaster, first added to the series in Mysteries of the Sith, is back. So is the Concussion Rifle, which we saw wielded by the Trandoshans way back in Dark Forces."

We saw the DL-44 in the trailer, but the concussion rifle is new news.

Coolness. More coolness.

Mike

Well, if that can be confirmed, it's great news. Thanks for the heads-up, Mike. :thumbsup:

I didn't play JK in MP either, but I really liked the conc. in SP. Great for clearing a room of unwanted enemy infestations. I hope they make the weapon sound similar to how it did in JK.

I wonder what my death animation will look like as I die in a big white explosion with my surround sound system after getting targeted by a Trandoshen with a concussion rifle ... ah, well ... I have a few months to think about it.

Mike

Originally posted by StormHammer

Well, if that can be confirmed, it's great news. Thanks for the heads-up, Mike. :thumbsup:

I didn't play JK in MP either, but I really liked the conc. in SP. Great for clearing a room of unwanted enemy infestations. I hope they make the weapon sound similar to how it did in JK.

Didnt play with it in MP eh? Let me sum it up for you -- Conc+speed+jump+seeing+destruction = flying bodies everywhere!

Sigh... well let's ALSO hope that the conc rifle doesn't return in ALL of it's former glory: i.e. being the Ownage weapon of the series.

Being a saberist at heart, but still partial to cool explosive weapons, I still remember what JK multiplayer conc rifles were like. The combination of lag, poor saber hit detection, speed, force destruction, and jump, made the concussion rifle ultimate uber l33t. Even at close range the thing schooled That game was all about the conc, the rail detonator being the close second. But i'm sure everything will turn out for the best.

The old Dark Forces conc was cool. Hopefully in Jedi Academy we're not plagued with the nightmare of the uber concussion rifle, but I'm glad it's back, or at least it's strongly suggested that it is.

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

Sigh... well let's ALSO hope that the conc rifle doesn't return in ALL of it's former glory: i.e. being the Ownage weapon of the series.

Yeh, balance is the key. Each weapon should have advantages and disadvantages, or at least people who have preferences for different ones, otherwise what would be the point usong any other? I'm more excited bout the DL-44, such a cool gun :D

Haha, do you remember Canyon Oasis? Whoever made it to the top and got the Conc could just camp there and pick everyone off - wait for it to respawn and repeat ;)

I remember many insults flying due to that - and concentrated Rail fire in the direction of the guy with the Conc :p

Well, one way to balance the concussion rifle in MP is...simply don't put it in there. :) Make it an SP only gun, and the problem's solved.

Of course, that would then annoy a lot of people.

Another way to try and balance it is to reduce damage significantly against someone using Force Protection.

Other ways to balance it would be to include a slower movement speed for those carrying heavier weapons, and making the rate of fire of those weapons slower as well. After all, in the real world, the firing rate of a bazooka is a lot slower than the firing rate of a machine gun, but it does far more damage. It would make sense to me for them to introduce this kind of balancing for the more powerful weapons.

"Balance is everything" :D

Like Stormy said, the best way to make bigger guns more balanced and still keep them effective is simply achieved by slowing down the fire rate keeping everyone happy... I only hope that Raven knows this too ;)

Originally posted by Khaza

"Balance is everything" :D

Like Stormy said, the best way to make bigger guns more balanced and still keep them effective is simply achieved by slowing down the fire rate keeping everyone happy... I only hope that Raven knows this too ;)

i agree as well, i hate lamers in mp

Originally posted by HertogJan

Guys I just played JK and now I realize I actually HATE THE CONCUSSION RIFLE!! It's boring :) I like the rail detonator though, I mixxed those two weapons up :D

Each to their own. :)

Every player has their own favourite weapons. I was never that fond of the Rail Detonator, personally. ;)

Originally posted by taekwondo joe

i agree as well, i hate lamers in mp

No, no, no, they should make it harder to get, so you have to jump really far to get to a platform with it on or something, cause somethings must be better than others. So it would be really hard. Or the server could disable certain weapons. makes it better for everyone. problem solved.

No no no,you forgot something.I dunno if I'm going to offend anyone with this but first of all,no offense.

I think we should be able to block the conc with the light saber.After all,why can't we do it,the conc shot is just a bullet of pure beam energy,so is the lightsaber.So why not?

Originally posted by Stormtrooper X

Or the server could disable certain weapons. makes it better for everyone. problem solved.

You can do that now, with JO. I'd just assume they would keep this option with JA.

Originally posted by Toa Tahu

No no no,you forgot something.I dunno if I'm going to offend anyone with this but first of all,no offense.

I think we should be able to block the conc with the light saber.After all,why can't we do it,the conc shot is just a bullet of pure beam energy,so is the lightsaber.So why not?

Wrong, the Concussion Rifle fires bolts of compressed air that make a concussive force that can break bones and shredd muscules. Deadly eh? It'd destroy the saber. And can lightsaber's deflect air at a high pressure? No.

Originally posted by Toa Tahu

I thought it was like some sort of super compressed air thing.

<edit> From the JK1 </edit> instruction manual:

"Concussion Rifle:

The weapon of the Tandoshan race fires compressed bullets of ionized air that explode in shockwaves. Primary fires an explosive projectile (8 cells per fire) which is dangerous in close quarters. Secondary fires a shotgun-like projectile (four cells per fire) for safe use at close range

AMMO: Power cells"

I don't know if that proves anything, but there it is. The Mysteries of the Sith manual says the same thing.

Archived