Home

WIP: Gollum

Hindy

Hi,

After the completion of Legolas I have decided to start a new project. The model will be of Gollum and will be based on the Two Towers body proportions.

I will be concentrating on modeling so I have asked JP-30 to skin him. So welcome aboard JP :D

I hoped to post some images of him so far but Im having probs with my webspace, which I hope to sort out soon. So I ll just let you know the state of play...

Head: Completely roughed out, just adding detail to nose and lips. Also refining the eye area so it fits snuggly around a sphere Im using for the eyes.

Body: Again roughed out, adding muscle detail. Also need to add his erm... shorts? well they look like a potato sack held up by rope :D

Aiming for around 3k polys with custom sounds, maybe and a big maybe facial animations

You will have to ask JP bout team colours

Cheers for now

Hindy

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers guys, the modeling is nearing completion but I still cant post images as boomspeed, whom I had a free account with, deleted my account and r not allowing anymore sign-ups.

Any ideas for show free webspace?

Ok I joined tripod and made a site with their web creation tools, I didn't plan to do this but it ll do for the time being. I ll probably move back to Boomspeed once I sort my Paypal account.

Ok back to Gollum, if navigate to the WIP: Gollum page I have uploaded an initial head model sheet. I ll post some more pics tomorrow.

Anyways the site .

Here is the pic off the site if people would prefer to view it inside the thread...

Gollum_headsheet.jpg

I think I will post pics like this in future now I have figured out how to do it...

Im pretty happy with the head at the mo and have attached it to the body, I will post pics once I have finished the tunic thingy.

Looking good. As for team colours, the Loincloth will have the variation, and I may slightly tint his skin blueish or reddish.

Wondering if that cloakable shadowtrooper shader could be user to also make a near-invisible version that can be toggled on and off to simulate ring-wearing. :)

Hi JP

I was thinking that a tranparency shader would work well with the loincloth as in the film it is ripped all over the place, I have modeled it as a block for that purpose which in turn keeps the poly count down.

Like the idea about the cloakable shadowtrooper shader. I have no idea when it comes to shaders however!

*This model doesn't seem to be generating much interest or maybe people just r not posting... Remember people post your thoughts, interest and feedback helps keep us motivated and producing for the community*

Hellfire Jedi: Dont get me wrong Im not trying to gain attention but Im new to modeling and the only way Im gonna get better is to be told where Im going wrong and what can be improved.

With regards to the side view, I ll look into it as I was adding muscle definition so some may have to be removed... And the feet argggggh! I hate modeling feet and hands (just added some generic hands)

But thanx for the crit :D "Gotta be cruel to be kind"

>> I was thinking that a tranparency shader would work well with the loincloth as in the film it is ripped all over the place, I have modeled it as a block for that purpose which in turn keeps the poly count down. <<

I agree, and no problems. Will the block be weighted to the thighs so it moves when Gollum walks or runs, or will it just hang straight?

>> Like the idea about the cloakable shadowtrooper shader. I have no idea when it comes to shaders however! <<

I'm still a beginner on shaders, and have only played around with transparencies thus far, but I'd probably ask the guy who wrote the shadowtrooper shader if I could use his one and adapt it, with due credit in the readme.

Also, the guys at the showcase foum at massassi.net are a lot more active and constructive when it comes to WIP feedback, so maybe you could consider posting Gollum there too...

Great choice for your next model!

It's looking good so far.

Are you planning on creatively rigging him to the skeleton so that he is very much hunched over? With some tricky alterations to the weighting, you should be able to accomplish a good Gollum posture.

Bend that neck down and hunch those shoulders... of course all that comes much later. As for right now, you seem to be on the right track.

Will you rip sounds from the movies for him? He's got a little bit of dialogue in Fellowship... lots more in TT, which of course has not been (officially) released yet.

Anyways, best of luck... I'm certainly looking forward to this one.

-nomad

MTFBWY

JP-30: Yep I ll weight the loincloth to his thighs otherwise it will clip when he runs, plus it ll look more realistic if it moves with him.

inbredyokel: I never thought about that with regards to the hair, I suppose I could even add splines for the hair. As with the body I followed the WETA model sheets for TTT proportions so maybe the loincloth needs to be slightly higher.

Nomad: I wanted to get the posture right, I ll PM PsykOSith to see if he has any ideas once I have finished with the modeling. As for the sounds I think I ll rip from my XVID TTT which I will also take screens for JP to help with skinning.

Cheers guys

Ok an update for ya... This a modified 3/4 view of Gollum in response to the feed back I received.

A question though how would you recommend doing the eyes ans mouth? Use spheres for the eyes or flat polygons? A box for the inside of the mouth or just close it?

Gollum_new.jpg

Ok I have added some teeth, this has taken the poly count to 2,999 which is more or less at the limit! So Im done with adding features and now Im gonna just tweak the verts pulling and pushing them into a better shape...

JP: Do want me to unwrap each of the segmented body parts onto 1 skinmap each or 1 big map with everything on?

Also would you prefer it to be in game before you skin it?

What I did with Legolas was to unwrap each body part onto a separate map get it in game then paint the textures on afterwards.

> What I did with Legolas was to unwrap each body part onto a separate map get it in game then paint the textures on afterwards.<

That's my preferred method. I like multiple maps, one per body part.

And as md3view is really unstable for me, having a working .glm to paint on would be great so I can use modview, and also check it out ingame as I go.

Archived