Home

WIP: Gollum

Hindy

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. All good. I've never skinned "from scratch" before, and with al those huge areas of flesh, it'll take a little longer than the normal ones where clothes cover most of the body.

But I've made a start, and I'll share progress as I continue.

:)

OK, so I think I'll keep everyone up to date on skinning progress.

I finally got to have a good play with the model (it's awesome, Hindy).

This is just a preliminary stage where I make a collage of existing textures (his back and legs are from my Slave Leia skin), and some bits and pieces I cut out of photos (his chest, arms and face) to get everything aligned, and to work as my guide.

So PLEASE don't tell me my seams show, theres a big cross on his back, the calves suck, and that the colours are wrong etc. Again, these are preliminary guide textures!

Having said that I doubt the face will need a lot more work, it came together very well indeed.

So, anyways, here's where I'm at after my first hour or two's mucking around.

gollum-wip1.jpg

I'll let you know when there's something new to show...

Hey man it looks like ya off to a solid start... I take it the maps are holding up ok!It looks as if you are following the contours of the rib cage, they are taken fron the WETA model sheet so should be quite accurate.

Also Hellfire reported the left ankle needed to be tweaked when he tested it in game, have you noticed any probs?

Look forward to your next update :D

"Smeagol...Why do you cry, Smeagol?"

"I told you theys was tricksy, I told yous theys was false..."

Hehe, sorry. Couldn't control it. Wow... That model looks quite amazing. I'm glad people are bringing the LotR characters to JK2. Nice job and good luck on finishing him. This is a sure download.

Hey man it looks like ya off to a solid start... I take it the maps are holding up ok!It looks as if you are following the contours of the rib cage, they are taken fron the WETA model sheet so should be quite accurate.

Maps are great, and yeah I'm mapping the ribs onto the contours etc. :)

Also Hellfire reported the left ankle needed to be tweaked when he tested it in game, have you noticed any probs?

I haven't had the chance to view it in game as yet.

Look forward to your next update

Probably a few days away - I have a busy weekend ahead.

Totally off topic but dunno whether you lot are aware Im gonna enter the NVIDIA Unreal Tournament Comp in the best model catergory... Well would ya like me to post me concept drawings for ya to look at?, it might plug the gap till JP-30 posts another update.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I've been laid up with a stomach bug for best part of last week. Got lots to catch up on work wise.

Should be seeing some major progress on the skin soon - I think I have a free weekend looming.

(ie. I'll try to get the thing close to finished before next week - at a stage where it just needs subtle tweaking pending feedback, and maybe shader work if we're going to do a near "invisible" version too).

Hi no Im quite satisfied with the modeling... The feet look pretty good, it was my first stab at bare feet and they have quite a good shape. They also have a seperate big toe to make it look more foot like which Im sure JP will confirm as its not too clear in the pics.

Suppose I better tell ya where I coming from with this idea. Well I wanted to model a female as I hadn't modeled one before now and I wanted her to look girly but hard, so I got a really feminine face with a harsh shaven head... The face is based off the lovely Jessica Alba mostly cos of lips and eyes.

Onto the body, well that started off completly human but I felt it looked too "Lara Croft" so I began playing with mechanical parts. Below the hips is completely mechanical and so is the left arm mainly for mobility and strength. The top is skin tight to show the female form and to contrast with the mechanical parts... The leg things (whatever they are called!) are inspired from the very Western "gunslinger" look she had in her completely human form.

Ok thats it... Oh yeah she dont have a name yet! So any suggestions welcome, also Im undecided over the colour of the trouser thingy's

C ya

Archived