Home

WIP: Gollum

Hindy

Managed to sneak in another couple of hours work on Gollum's skin last night.

Things are progressing nicely, and after my next session (hopefully this evening) I will post another WIP screenshot.

I'm aiming to have him finished sometime next week. :)

I could still do with a good reference picture of his back, though....

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry man totally forgot about the pics! I ve been modeling a car, the above concept model and started on Princess Leia so been quite busy. I going to work now (literally) so I ll mail you tonight if I find my TTT disc as I think I lent it out.

As promised, WIP shot #2. Probably ~50% done it this stage. At first glance it probably looks nearly identical to my first skin WIP shot above. But there's a lot more done, it's just sometimes not particularly obvious!

Still need to;

add more definition & detail to arms, legs, back & feet.

Ensure seams are all nicely blended.

Write transparency shader to make skirt more "ropey & dangley".

gollum-wip2.jpg

Don't make it too ropey - no one wants to see his dangly. :D

Seriously though, nice work on the model, and good job on the skin. The skin does seem a bit light, though. JO has a tendency to lighten the color of the skins in-game, so you might want to consider making them slightly darker so that they appear correct in-game.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer... getting closer... honest I am!

gollum-ingame1.jpg

Hindy, did the beta tester tell you about gaps in the model? Namely the joins between neck & torso, arm & wrist & torso & hips?

You may have even sent me an updated pk3, I just can't recall... (swapped PC's in the middle of skinning, etc)

The hand clipping looks to be as good as it's going to get. It always clips a little bit, even with some of the stock models.

As for the eyes, well, I have to disagree. I think the eyes look good. My only suggestion would be to slightly darken the details on his face and maybe add a few wisps of hair on his head using shaders.

Since giving me the original pk3, Hindy may have "overlapped" the wrists & the arms to eliminate the gaps. And they may also just be a product of my PC's resolution & graphics settings.

Also if you play this guy with a scaling mod (as intended), the gaps will also reduce and may be eliminated from view.

I think the eyes look good. My only suggestion would be to slightly darken the details on his face and maybe add a few wisps of hair on his head using shaders.

I'm pretty happy with the eyes too.

gollum4.jpg

Yeah, a lot of the detail on the texture file gets lost in-game.

I'm not at the highest texture setting for those shots. But I will try and darken some of the features and add darker hair strands (they're there, but they're hard to see in those screenies).

Some of the more "delicate" features are wiped out on that montage due to my 3D card, the gamma correction needed on the screenshots, the resizing of the screenshots from 1024x768 to ~750x550 and finally the JPG compression of the montage.

LOL. You guys are too kind.

Most of the credit should go to Hindy, though. Wonderful model!

I feel pretty bad for the time it's taken me to get the skin together, but it does seem to be shaping up pretty well. I'd hate to have taken this long and it to turn out crap.

Guess Gollum should be released ASAP before everyone's off distracted with JA in a months time.

Still, all the JO models will work in JA, so that's a huge plus! :D

I have nothing much on tonight, so I hope to do the final tweaking and get the JPGs to Hindy for the pk3. I hope he has the sounds all compiled & ready to go!

Any suggestions for team colours? Obviously the loincloth. Other than that there's not a lot to colour. :( Maybe a subtle flesh tint, but that might look terrible.

Yeah. Maybe red pupils for the red team too, not that you'll get to see them in-game a whole lot...

And maybe some blue bruises and red wounds too.

Anyway I'll have a play around, I'm sure it'll all work out .

OK, my work here is done ;)

For some reason the proposed transparency shader to make the loincloth more "ropey" wouldn't work, but I think it looks fine as-is. Maybe Hindy can give it a go if he feels so inclined.

I'd also considered trying to use the shadowtrooper shaders to make an "invisible" version of Gollum wearing the Ring, but this hasn't eventuated either.

Anyway, here's how the skin shapes up. I'll be sending Hindy the pk3 with all my textures in a few minutes.

As you can see I put him in shackles (neck, wrists & left leg) to help with team colour variation.

gollum-screenshot1.jpg

gollum-screenshot2.jpg

Archived