Home

KOTOR, XBox and DDE's(ALL SHOULD READ)

Yo

Being a hardcore gamer, i tend not to favour one console, but i love my Xbox way more than the PS2 or Cube, so i buy more games for the Box than any others(i only have 2 for Cube, lol) anyway......

I'm sure you've all heard of Morrowind, the 3rd game in the ever populer PC series "The Elder Scrolls", well it was ported to the Xbox and is the greatest RPG and probally game, ever, however, there is a serious problem, the horrible situtation where the screen games black and the dreaded words appear, "The disc you are using may be damaged or dirty" when there's nothing wrong with the disc, this problem has come to be known as a DDE(Dirty Disc Error) and once your save file gets fairly big, i can assure you that you will be getting DDE's A LOT! Now at first i figured it was the codding in the game, and it would be okay when the Game of the Year Edition is out towards the end of this year, but on further investigation, i have found out that its been happening on other games, ones that use a big cache. Now KOTOR will use a lot of space, and i am now terrified the same thing will start happening in KOTOR that ruins Morrowind.

Any reassurences from the developers that we won't have this problem? Don't think so..........

A very worried, English guy. :fett:

I have an XBox, but nothing like this has ever happened before and I have a lot of saved games too.

Just try some different things-- Wipe off your hard drive of the old saves you don't need. Maybe even get your XBox checked if you need to because I've never heard of this happening at all.

I don't think you'll have to worry about KoTOR causing any bugs. Bioware is working to make the game perfect and completely flawless to the best of their abilities so I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

I still think your XBox might be messed up though.....

This probabaly could've been in the Holowan Lab forums because it has to do with the development, but since it is about the game I think it is ok here too. :)

Yo

Sorry if its wrong forum, i'm still fairly new here.

Anyway, sadly man its ain't my Xbox, its happened to EVERY single person who has Morrowind on Xbox once there save file is over 160, its something to do with the memory cache.

Well seriously man, i ****ing hope to hell this game is flawless, last thing i need is another fantastic game ruined by a damn console flaw.

:fett:English:fett:

Yo

Your suggestions are both smart and well thought out, the devolopers recommended the same thing, here's the problems:

-Clearing the cache: Certain games cache at certain times, not all at start up, and to succesfully clear the Morrowind one you need to do it with 3 different Xbox games.

-Erasing the Save File: If i had a memory card to hold it on i would, but alas i ain't paying another £30!:cool:

Don't wanna seem like an asskisser or anything, but Jedi Apprentice, so far your my fav member here, i've viewed a lot of threads, and you have posted quality in almost every one, RESPECT!:D

:jango:English Guy:jango:

Well, I knew about clearing the cache out from being on the FoTR game boards. It's about the buggiest game ever. They always just said to play another game for a few minutes then try the one that is causing the problems, but always do it with 3 games.

You don't have any save games you can get rid of? Old games you have beaten or new games that have the newer saves you don't need anymore? You can just selectively delete the saves you don't need to probabaly get under the 160 mark. Unless you don't save very much. But I think I'd still try it. :)

And thank you. Everyone needs some praise now or then. ;)

Originally posted by Jedi Apprentice

You don't have any save games you can get rid of? Old games you have beaten or new games that have the newer saves you don't need anymore? You can just selectively delete the saves you don't need to probabaly get under the 160 mark. Unless you don't save very much. But I think I'd still try it.

Yo

No its not like that, you see the Morrowind save file gets bigger and bigger the further you get through the game, and once its over 160 the DDE nightmare begins, now don't get me wrong, if you keep it under 200, which i do, you should limit the number of DDE's to say 1 every 45 mins to 1 hour, but thats not good enough for an RPG where it can take double that just to find a cave you need to raid, lol. It makes no difference how many Blocks are taken up on the Xbox hardrive, and i still have 50,000+ even with a fair few soundtracks on.

:jango:English Guy:jango:

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps one of you can help me solve one of my problems...

I have over 10 soundtracks saved to my xbox's harddrive, yet only a few show up in Sega GT 2002, is there any way to get them all to show up, cause when I put new soundtracks on the hd, sometimes it seems to subtract a few from sega gt 2002 even though no new ones get added, and that REALLY makes me angry.

Anyone that helps me fix this problem will be rewarded. ^_^

Everybody here seems to not know about the problem so I'll give you the solutions I know. I had a character in Morrowind with over 200 blocks, and I ran into a few DDE's. Not everybody has this problem.

When did you get your xbox? If you got it within 4 months of launch (Nov. 15, 2001) then you probably have a Thompson Disc Drive. The old Thompsons are cheap and cause a lot of errors. Microsoft saw this and now they use samsung and a newer Thompson drive, which work perfectly.

Microsoft isn't just out to get your money, you won't have to buy a new xbox to get a good drive. Call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and give them your information and they will send you a box to put your xbox in. They will replace the drive for free and send it to you within 1-2 weeks. I'm in the process of doing this and I can say that their customer support is very good.

If they won't let you (which they should if your box has a bad drive) then I would either install one yourself or just buy a new $179 xbox :( .

You can also help with the cache by disposing of all your corpses, closing doors, and leaving everything the way you found it. it will greatly cut down on your file size.

Originally posted by Rogue15

anybody play ghost recon?

You're the one that recommended it to me. :D

It's a great game, but I can't play it on Live so I've just been enjoying split-screen and the regular missions.

Thanks for the further explanation, Notion. Where have you been lately? :)

what stuff have you unlocked in gr?

So far I've unlocked 12/50 things. i unlocked the ak74, carbine (forgot name of it =/ ) and a new sniper rifle today and my favorite map is Vilnius (sp?) the map with rain and everything's in rubble. I also like Night Battle and Night Docks.

I'm getting Island Thunder the day it comes out!!!! ^__^

if hte ps2 stuff was aimed at me... i play and love my xbox, it has great games, but i beleive bill gates designed flaws in windows 2000 to make more money, i havent came across any errors, but perhaps it could be what he done with the xbox...

Archived