Home

Longest Journey (again)

BooJaka

One again I am thinking about buying The Longest Journey. I've always wanted to but something always stood in the way (normally money or availability).

However, upon closer inspection I have noticed something. The originally boxed version comes with a rating of 18+ minimum age requirement whereas the more common Xplosiv version has a minimum age of 3+

Are there any differences between the two games or is it just a (major) relaxing of ratings?

Hmmm... I can't remember anything that would make this clearly a game for older, more mature players, even though from story POV it addresses themes that are more essential to teenagers and 20+ guys like me. Some characters might have a bit realistic edge to them, but they are mostly from our world(Stark) and not the fantasy world(Arcadia), so whole game balances nicely with different levels going from fairy tale elements to teenage drama and beyond.

Of course, one character comes to mind that probably will scare younger players. The witch in the forest. ;)

Yeah, there's definitely the occasional "fuck" in TLJ. Not just Burns Flipper, but also that other guy, Zack (the guy that lives in April's building in Newport). And April tosses off a curse word here and there, herself.

Weird that this thread popped up, I've started my annual TLJ replay today.

Lol sarah, how can you wait a year to replay this wonder? ;)

About the rating, well, there isn't any difference between the games, except possibly compatibility issues, so maybe just a confusion, 3 year olds shouldn't play this game lol, and probably woudn't cause they'd get bored, cause the story is defiently deep and sometimes confusing. Even a friend my age (I"m 14), didn't get it all. Anyway, I agree that also the witch would scare the heck out of young kids, it's so well done. Hell, it scared the heck out of me too! Like those websites that scream after a while, only better and much more fun. :D

Yes there's The Flipper (lol) and Zack who curse, and some other chars will say an occasional curse word, but it didn't bother me.

I didn't find a rating on my Xplosiv version, so I dunno, my uncle got it in America. One day when I'm rich I'll buy the box version, just as a beatiful decoration lol. Or the collective version of all 3 rofl. or not :p.

Anyway, there's April in her undies of course, but they look more like white jogging clothes than underwear imho lol.

And there are also some referneces to drugs (presented negatively of course) and sex, what with Fiona talking about her, eh, fantasies, about Mickey, lol, but she's so sweet you barely notice.

Oh and no matter the rating, get this game!!! I couldn't stress this enough, TLJ is AMAZING!!! :)

Rofl maybe you have a point, but I actually enjoyed the length of the dialogs mostly lol.

However I found the game too short (!). maybe it's the puzzlees being a little easy, but I finished the game in 3 sittings (One being a very long sitting in the middle of the night lol). Also some of the chapters before last were very short. ;)

Archived