Home

Mojo, what they have done to you: a short story.

Jake

Agreed, theres plenty 'excuse', the staff have real lives to be getting on with, even assuming that they have the time, inclination and hd space for regular backups, thats what the backup hd was for.

Its easy to criticise after the event but it doesnt help matters in the slightest.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by GregD

It's a fact, get over it. Mojo has been down 3 times in the past, so theres no real excuse for not having a recent backup on one of the admins HD's.

hmmm. hmm.. hmmm.

for me..

being suffered by the fading mental horizon of an kneeling ant (which actually is much better than that er.. hyperactivity-thingsy?? Howd you come on this? did i wrote to fast? dunno that much words, eh?... if i calm down som more ill come out the HYPERACT side.. so keep ur lovely tovely for persons who needit, sugarplease.)

..this argument sounds .. argumentive (as sad as the circumstances are).. .. but it dont changes alot, right?

These people probably spend more time reading and replying in the forums than it would take to do...

Heres all you do:

1. Open ftp client

2. Select all files

3. Click transfer

4. Leave it running in background overnight or whatever

How hard is that to do on a monthly or bi monthly basis?

Being Human? It's called being lazy. Sure they run the site in their free time we love them for it. But a site this big and popular should not be neglected. A backup is not exactly the most demanding thing in the world.

Refer to bgbenny's comment, and mine.

If you think they are doing a less that than admirable job, start your own site. See how it goes. You could call it "Mojo+ - Now with added GregD!".

The situation is very bad, and could have been avoided, but it wasn't. No one can change that now. There is no percentage in playing the blame game.

Stop whining.

Well, look at it this way: now that mojo is down, Jake will finally finish the new design - which, if I may say so myself, has a potential to look far superior to the previous - that is, if he lets me design the icons.

Anyhow, I doubt that all those interviews and stuff are lost.

Another good thing that came out of the downtime is me setting up a little localhost thing and being able to work on the site more leisurely. If it is any comfort, only two frescos from the Church are lost - and not indefinitely, because Moosferatu has them backed-up...

Shut face Andi... :mad: "stop whining" you say.

I'm hardly whining, I am saying a backup should have been made... this is a fair and valid point...

Id be whining if I said: it was mojo's fault that the whole site was destroyed and that they should put it back up straight away or I will complain. Now that is whining.

The situation wouldn't have been as bad if common sense might have come into play at some point.

From mixnmojo.com :

"Despite all of this, our primary concern is to stay up and running as a hub for you guys, the bitter masses that are the LucasArts fan community."

Erm, ok. We're the bitter ones. Anyway, I dont have anything against giving mixnmojo 5 dollars through Paypal. Im guessing many others would like to contribute with some chash to keep the site running, or whatever. Or as just gifts. You should setup at "give us money" button and see what happends.

Also, maybe that notorious non-existing mixnmojo store could be set-up and I could buy a mixnmojot-shirt to show off. Perhaps I'm rambling on you, but it sounds like a good idea to hire some enthusiastic new people to mixnmojo. Some new faces bringing news, features etc. I donnu if it would work any good, but I think it would make mixnmojo more interesting.

Ray, while I respect you are from another country... I cannot understand a word you are saying. This is why I choose not to reply to you ¬¬

JBRAA I don't think they lack money... they lack backups ;/

If someone would like to donate backups send them on a stamped self addressed envelope to:

Mixnmojo Backups PLZTHX k

Y'ARRR St.

Monkey Island

NW1 4BJ

Originally posted by GregD

Id be whining if I said: it was mojo's fault that the whole site was destroyed and that they should put it back up straight away or I will complain. Now that is whining.

That is in effect what you are saying.

on another note, I was just thinking the same thing JBRAA!

YES i am not from england. but from earth too.. so let try again..

.. i ask you Greg, how do we get a backup now, that it all has happened?

what MoJo needs now is the get the SITESTUFF back to get UP ONLINE again and THEN MoJo-People can learn (i awfully hope) and DO THE BACKUP TWICE A DAY...

Originally posted by Andi Wan

That is in effect what you are saying.

on another note, I was just thinking the same thing JBRAA!

Show me somewhere i have said that... it is not what I am saying im making a point and I think you need to take your head out of your proverbial PLZ K THX LOL LMAO ROFL ;~

Originally posted by RayJones

YES i am not from england. but from earth too.. so let try again..

.. i ask you Greg, how do we get a backup now, that it all has happened?

what MoJo needs now is the get the SITESTUFF back to get UP ONLINE again and THEN MoJo-People can learn (i awfully hope) and DO THE BACKUP TWICE A DAY...

OMGLOLWTFNM U USE TEH TIMEMACHINE!!111

I USE ONE EVERYDAY IN EVERYWAY H0Rh0R

MOJO SPENT ALL THEIR MONEYS ON A TIME MACHINEE U SEE>

THEY SPENT SO LONG MAKING IT THEY FORGOT TO TAKE BACKUPS ;~~

perhabs we could like .. bring up some warfarestylee-sfx while reading these .. collection-o-nice things to say.. -boum- -crash- -newt- -shlap- -smack- -fffidsh-

ok greg 'hairy spit and earwax stuff' D. no backup. not data. no nuttin' at this point.. howd you go on.. say i didnt did a backup forever?

Pardon me, cube.

Anyway, I agree with you Greg, it could have been avoided, and probably should have, given the Mojo's notorious history.

But what I don't think you accept is that the guys who run it are not professional webmasters. They do this in their free time.

And regardless of how big the mojo community that depends on their work is, they are just guys like you and me. Fallible humans, not super-human gods. They make mistakes, sometimes big ones.

Anyway, this is getting silly. We haven't even got any word that Mojo 8 is indeed kaput.

Peace.

EDIT:

Also, a kind word of advice for Ray:

Use less capitals. Connected sentences are good.

Follow this advice, and all will be well.

I think it is great that you are trying to be part of a community that is not in your native language. Keep posting!

Originally posted by Andi Wan

Pardon me, cube.

Anyway, I agree with you Greg, it could have been avoided, and probably should have, given the Mojo's notorious history.

But what I don't think you accept is that the guys who run it are not professional webmasters. They do this in their free time.

And regardless of how big the mojo community that depends on their work is, they are just guys like you and me. Fallible humans, not super-human gods. They make mistakes, sometimes big ones.

Anyway, this is getting silly. We haven't even got any word that Mojo 8 is indeed kaput.

Peace.

I know most of the guys who work on mojo so I understand they do it in their free time and do their best etc and I wouldn't want anything more.

I guess theres no point arguing about it now anyway what's done is done I suppose. But next time make some backups if you can guys, it will save you the trouble if (when? been 4 times already how jinxed can mojo be :confused: ) it happens again.

Hello!

I don't want to waste your time, I wrote yesterday, that the site should have been mirrored. OK. What is happened is the past.

If mojo starts again, then everybody should think about doing something for the backup thing.

For example I wanted to contact mojo to let him know, that I probably will host a server this summer and would let it mirror the mojo site. Of course this won't help getting back lost data, but maybe more than nothing.

But it is true that 2 ways are possible now: revive mojo or not. If mojo is set up again I think this lesson was enough for everybody, so the site will backuped frequently even without my help.

I still don't know email address to mojo.

Bye.

Are you the same GregD who hangs out or used to hang out at #monkey-island? You were a bit different back then when I used to hang out there. Not so bitter anyway. But, hey, I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. But we must look forward. Mojo will be back! Trite, but true!

Originally posted by Jake

At this point we've generally decided that it's time to move to a new location entirely. A totally new server at a totally new facility with a totally new admin. That is why the server has been down for days and days, and why the hard drive is on a plane or in a truck somewhere heading back to ZeroXcape.

We'll keep you updated on what happens with the files and the new server in this thread, and at www.mixnmojo.com itself.

Sorry for the massive delay.

Now, obviously, this is a long and arduouse project and probably takes a lot of time, although I myself don't know enough about web sites and servers in order to estimate a time. But basically, what's going on now? A HD has been sent to Zero, obviously so he can look over it and see if he can find and fix any probelms and then I'm guessing he'll upload it again. Don't worry, I'm not whining and I can't really expect Mojo to be nearly finished or anything, I'm just wandering what's going on now?

1)I would donate 20 or 30 bucks to help Mojo in the backup retrieval/re-colocation process (yes, money helps, dumbo).

2)Nick Drake - Way to Blue. Change blue to purple, and you're all set. (Yes, I know, "blasphemy," cry the Nick Drake fans (including myself), except with at least one capital letter and at least one exclamation point.) Or, if you want a more popular song, Theme from Gilligan's Island -- requires more changes, however.

Archived