Home

Mojo, what they have done to you: a short story.

Jake

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, this goes to all the guys who think backups are such an easy thing, like GregD ("Leave it running in background overnight or whatever"). You could just believe me when I say "No, they are not" or read on:

How about the databases? I will readily admit that I don't know how many of the hosted sites use MySQL, but for the sake of easy news and interactive stuff like polls and comments you need those. But reading a lot of stuff from any database and writing it into a file will slow the server down.

I'm not an expert, but I would guess that the databases would be a major problem for any mirror sites. I'm not even sure if a RAID 1 system can multiply the data from databases. Also: even if you'd churn out the bucks for a mirror server you would still cause a lot of traffic to keep both sites up to date...

"Open ftp client. Select all files..."

Yeah and while you're at it get some more advertisers who can pay for the traffic that is created by the guy who backs up the wallpapers, MP3s, tools, etc. etc.

People, I tell you such stuff has to be done on location. You'd need a server admin who knows his shtick and makes backups.

Okay, so worldofmi managed to backup their site (apart from the forums) the day before. Some fan art was lost (images) but everything else was kept including news posts. Please explain (I'm not arguing with you, I'm just asking)

Originally posted by Kingzjester

Stop your ******* wining! What's been ****** up's been ****** up. It is behind us. Stop living in the ******* past! Nothing can be gained from burning witches.

Oh, and I just like to talk in asterisks like that.

Just because you have 2000 posts doesn't mean you are the king and no one is gonna listen to you so HA!!

And concerning your language young man why dont you stfu! ;)

Originally posted by Alien426

OK, this goes to all the guys who think backups are such an easy thing, like GregD ("Leave it running in background overnight or whatever"). You could just believe me when I say "No, they are not" or read on:

How about the databases? I will readily admit that I don't know how many of the hosted sites use MySQL, but for the sake of easy news and interactive stuff like polls and comments you need those. But reading a lot of stuff from any database and writing it into a file will slow the server down.

I'm not an expert, but I would guess that the databases would be a major problem for any mirror sites. I'm not even sure if a RAID 1 system can multiply the data from databases. Also: even if you'd churn out the bucks for a mirror server you would still cause a lot of traffic to keep both sites up to date...

"Open ftp client. Select all files..."

Yeah and while you're at it get some more advertisers who can pay for the traffic that is created by the guy who backs up the wallpapers, MP3s, tools, etc. etc.

People, I tell you such stuff has to be done on location. You'd need a server admin who knows his shtick and makes backups.

Doing the entire network is not necessary. The hosted sites have the means to backup their own data, so that's their job. Now, as for Mojo - exporting the database to a file is a few clicks or a few words (depending how you do it).

Exporting the files and such of the site - easy, too. As for the files and whatever.. they aren't as important as all the news and articles. They can be refound and reuploaded - the articles and news cannot. Not unless they kept local copies of their own articles, anyway.

So in conclusion, backing up is not as hard as you make out. I'm not slating Mojo for this, after all - if they pay for backups they damn well should get them. But I'm sure a lesson can be learnt from this:

Never trust someone else to look after your pride and joy. :D

Well, to mirror a database is called replication and this feature is built in most db-servers (as far as I know it is implemented in MySQL 4 as well). And this is not a high availability, robust project (compared to a telecom database for example), so it can be done easily without professional sw. For example with MySQL-front, which is a freeware stuff.

The main problem, that to mirror images and mp3's, etc... well you have to mirror only the differences, this means only mirror them once... no reason to "download" something twice. This way with a disaster you would only lose a few days' posts, not the whole site.

I hate to backup as well, I know what does it mean, since I am a system admin at two place. I only do it once a month.

The mirror sites will not cause traffic increasement, I think they would even decrease it if you would share the traffic tricky. To send ASCII data is not a big problem, as it can be packed into a very small file.

Only the forum that can't be used on a mirror site, everithing else is the same. And you'd get rid of backing up.

I think Neil is trying to ask what I was trying to ask about a million posts ago.

Is MOJO 8 junked? Was anything saved?

Do we have any idea about when Mojo will be back up?

Only Jake or some other similarly important mojo admin can answer this.

I'm glad that the more estute among you have done the necessary detective work, and discovered that we were the ones, in fact, to blame for our server admin destroying our files and backups. Which was after the hacker could have, but didn't. Yes, we had backups, guys, just not completely current ones for every single hosted site. Anyway, those are gone anyway, and save a readily-available time machine and some gullible network slave named Metallus with a bad upspeed, there won't be any local backing up of the nearly 200 sites on Server 1 (I.E. it wasn't just Mixnmojo sites, but pretty much every other LFN site apart from the 3 that have their own servers).

[Jake butts in with a quick word: One thing worth noting is that Mojo shouldn't and won't be held responsible if your site got deleted and you don't have a local personal backup. Pointing fingers at us for losing chunks of our own site is (mostly) acceptable, but other than that it's your own responsibility and saying otherwise is pretty out of line. Hopefully nobodys out there annoyed at us for not having a copy of your site, or your favorite site that we didn't run :). We kept server-side backups of everyones sites, but those were lost totally out of our control.]

If there are some more genuine suggestions about how to better manage backups by people with experience, please put them in the feedback forum or contact us on IRC/PM/instant message. We appreciate the comments by people who are trying to help, definitely. However, this thread has completely derailed into pointless bickering by the yet-to-be-informed, meaning all of us.

Thanks to the people who made supportive comments. I don't think anyone is really sure what Mojo 8's fate is at this moment, but I believe that we'll try to get that going again, rather than trying to rush the next version of Mixnmojo. For the rest of you guys, before you say something not-so-goddamn-encouraging-nor-helpful to the people who have been running the sites you've visited for years, and who happen to be pretty stressed about the current staus, please reconsider. So, thread closed, because I'm not good with guilt :~

Archived