Home

Most Original Games

Marek

The E3 2003 Awards have been announced and this year the judges were high.

I say that with certainty as they must have been high for choosing a realistic war simulator as the most original game of the show, among other more sensible nominees such as Evil Genius, Fable and The Movies.

"Watching the demo, you felt like a reporter embedded with a US Army division as it maneuvered through a fictional Middle Eastern location. That level of realism isn't surprising, given that the game was conceived as a training simulator for the US Army."

Uhm okay, that sounds like it might be a nice game. But what's so damn original?

Rich squad based gameplay? Nope.

Intuitive point-and-click interface? Nope.

Maybe I'm an ignorant fool but if this is called originality I'm all set for becoming a game designer.

Discuss and/or enlighten me.

I agree entirely, there are many war simulators out there, and even if this is the best one, it's far from original. Did noone ever think of a war simulator? Sure they did. So nothing new but how the idea is implemented, and that better be damn good if it wins.

TLJ2 is a more original game because of it's story and new attemp at 3d graphics, but they can't really have a sequel win, lol, but I'm sure that even though it's a sequel, Ragnar thought of some of the most original things you could possibly imagine for it.

So bassically, yeah, I agree. :)

Lol, just noticed it's you marek! How are you doing? ;)

I know what you mean, Marek. The Movies should have received that award or at least some other game. The fact is that game journalists have become wankers who either praises or bashes. They don't know what makes a game original. Everything is so damn predictable in the industry now.

That's what I've been thinking too. I don't think they have a lot of integrity. I mean, most game journalists are just geeks who are lucky enough to get paid to write about games. It probably isn't hard to bribe them to write something good or vote for a certain game. I find it strange that most reviewers almost always tend to agree with eachother.

Archived