Home

Nightfall MP map

Patrick_H

Hi all- these are some screens of a new CTF/FFA map I have tentatively titled Nightfall, after an old Dark Forces mod (yes, I said Dark Forces) I did a while back called The Dark Tide II: Nightfall. The layout is based on an Imperial Garrison on Tatooine commanded by Prefect Talmont.

A Battle of Gall mp3 might accompany this.

shot0000.jpg

shot0003.jpg

shot0004.jpg

shot0005.jpg

shot0007.jpg

shot0008.jpg

Please note- these screens were updated on 07-16-03.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well hot damn! That is looking extremely slick--very nice architecture, Patrick. That first screenshot had me worried, but the others laid those worries to rest; it looks like it really captures the "wholistic" feeling of a well-designed structure, both inside and out. Can't wait to play it!

Hot damn ... thats one nice map you got there :eek: It has some Tribes feel on it ... maybe you should rerelease it to JA when it comes out to get those walkers playable :D Only the lighting seems a bit wrong .. over bright that is but everything else is just great.

I've got a subterranean area to build connecting the lower deck of the shuttle platform to the main garrison building. It will give give a second set of routes from the red flag to blue flag areas. I would also like to add some custom textures- so maybe in a month it will be ready.

I'm not sure which screens appear "over bright" though. My monitor isn't perfect, but I don't see any problem areas so far(?).

Originally posted by Patrick_H

I've got a subterranean area to build connecting the lower deck of the shuttle platform to the main garrison building. It will give give a second set of routes from the red flag to blue flag areas.

Do I smell a hint of asymmetrical CTF in there?!?! :D

I think the lighting is fine. Reminds me of the JK levels on the Valley of the Jedi planet. Nice skybox, by the way, it fits perfectly with the map, did you make that yourself?

Thanks for all the critical attention. I want this to be a good map.

I went back to look at the map's lighting. It's currently lit with a 35 ambient light, and the skybox's shader is set to match the altitude and azimuth of the suns seen in the skybox. I suppose I could reduce the ambient to 25, but I'm wary of reducing it too much for visibility/playability reasons. I can do a BSP relight to shorten the compile time if I'm just tweaking lighting, correct?

I'm trying to go for a mood at dusk in the summertime, when the sun is setting, and the automatically timed streetlights in the neighboorhood have turned on although there is still a fair amount of daylight left.

The skybox I made in Bryce 4, Photoshopped in a second sun, and then made a shader that matched the sun settings used in Bryce. I won't change those settings, because they match- but I guess the ambient worldspawn lighting should darken the shadows, eh?

Eldritch, are you saying that the texture used in the buildings outer struts is overused? I was taking a cue from the outside of the Kejim installation, which was built using only a handful of textures. I'm used to seeing too much variety in textures as visually too busy. I think its better they look good as a set- i.e. greyish-blue metal together, greyish metal together, etc.

Oh well.

As for the CTF design, no- it is actually symmetrical. I don't feel like I'm up to trying to balance out that kind of a map right now.

Alas, some people said the screenshots were too bright. I didn't believe them, but now that I have finally looked at the screens on my

Mac's monitor, I realize I forgot how bad that crap second-hand monitor is on the PC. I was compensating for a goddamn dim monitor! Now I've got to relight...and get a new monitor!

• 1 month later...

I've been busy adjusting the lighting, and the subterranean areas have been built. It's playable now with botroutes for either CTF or FFA. I took Eldritch's comments in mind, and I am working on replacing most of the Jedi Outcast textures with my own custom work. I've only got one screen on hand for now, more to follow when I get the PC back on the DSL.

shot0021.jpg

No, I had not seen that screen yet, but it does make it clear to me that the colors of my skybox are too saturated, and the ground texture may be a bit too. Thanks for showing that to me- the color issues have been doubted for awhile. Now I'll have to go back and adjust the skybox- it is just too orange.

I am trying to make the garrison look like a backwater installation that looks a little worse for wear.

Originally posted by Patrick_H

No, I had not seen that screen yet, but it does make it clear to me that the colors of my skybox are too saturated, and the ground texture may be a bit too.

Well who says they're even on the same planet? ;) It's up to you.

Archived