Home

Nightfall MP map

Patrick_H

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry the images aren't accessible to you Omikron. I know they behave a little strangely for me in IE. Yesterday the images were appearing as links only and today they appear in the thread- WEIRD.

I have a working beta done of the map. I'm just gonna fight through it with a friend of mine and see how it plays.

I've got another question for anyone around here. What's the average RAM installed on the PCs of those here using Radiant?

I think mine's a tad low. I've got a Dell XPS t450 upgraded to a PIII 1.4 GHz, but I've only got 256MB of RAM. This makes Photoshop run like crap, so all of my 2D art is done on my Mac, which runs Photoshop alot more smoothly. I think I should invest in some more RAM for the PC.

I really love the way the skybox matches up with the map, and the way the installation is built onto the exterior. *gets all nostalgic about Mars*

It looks like you're still using ambient lighting. A little is okay, but I think you should try to tone that down in favor of sky lighting and entity lighting. Ambient stuff is too "diffuse."

Great job. Nice brushwork, and the textures really compliment the map. Oh, and did I mention that skybox is sexy? :)

Yeah, I am using ambient lighting still. It's the only way I am able to decrease the starkness of the shadows. I was hoping it would come off as "dusty" lighting. It's set at 50 now I think. After I play it tonight on the other monitor we'll see how that goes. I've already got tons of light entities, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

If you want some "fill" for your shadows, drop ambient down to "10," comment out the "q3map_surfacelight" line of your sky shader, add "q3map_skylight <intensity from old surfacelight line> 4" instead, then compile in q3map2 with -bounce 8. Depending on the result you get from that compile, you might want to throw a -bouncescale value in there of 2 or 3, perhaps.

In any case, avoid "ambient" values of over 15--everything just starts to suck.

By the way, this map is starting to look pretty damned great. Is that real alphashadow coming from those grates? Even if its faked, it looks nice.

Thanks guys for for the advice. The strange thing is that my sky shader has the sun at a very low altitude and it is making the shadows very dark- it seems much darker than normal.

I have really got to start using Q3map2. JK2 Radiant takes about 6 hours to compile my map right now. Will Q3map2 offer a significant boost in speed?

I didn't notice that "q3map_surfacelight" line before. I have a lot left to learn about shaders. What is the difference between "surfacelight" and "skylight"?

Actually, the grate shadows are faked textures I did when I was on the DF Mod team last year. I can do much better stuff now. I have a new grate texture waiting for me to do a real alphashadow effect in that tunnel area later on. Once again, I have to play with Q3map2!

I saw you have two suns on the skybox. With q3map2 you will be able to have two suns for lighting.

q3map_skylight is for making a more uniform (from-everywhere) lighting for skies. q3map_surfacelight just makes the covered surfaces to emit light.

Man, this map is looking goooood. :thumbsup:

Wow, really? Thanks, that is high praise indeed. I hope you are not let down.

After studying Cardigan's Quake III Map Estatica, I have decided to include real alphashadows in a few hallways. It looks pretty cool so far, especially when you crank up the shadows _lightmapscale to 0.0625! That's probably a tad greedy of me though. Q3map2 does rock, so thanks everybody who steered me towards it. I have been doing the editing in JK2 Radiant and then the compiling with Q3map2 Toolz. The basic shadows on the ground look like crap in sof2map by comparison!

The map plays OK for me so far. Maybe a bit slower than I would like, but nothing to kill the fun factor. After playing it with a friend online with 3 bots (5 players) I got about 40 FPS in the complex central building area and about 50-60 FPS in the shuttle landing pads. This is on a PIII 1.4 GHz / GeForce III Ti. I gotta say, it was a blast playing my own map!

Wow. Just saw this thread. It was said before but very nice architecture. It's so refreshing to see something that you can imagine existing in the real world. Lots and lots of juicy structure, supports and angles and not just a big textured box. Very detailed and very immersive. Great work!

-clu

Well, I hope to have it released by the end of August at the latest, after I have replaced all or most of the game textures with my own. Right now I am struggling to learn why Q3A Shader editor isn't producing shaders that are compatible with Jedi Outcast.

I selected "fit" in the surface inspector where the glass is. Worked like a charm! Thanks again.

Q3 Shader editor? Bah. Use notepad.

Can you post an example of one of the Q3-editor-produced shaders? We might be able to spot the compatibility difference, if this editor is adding extraneous code. Another possible solution--be sure you add your .shder file's name to shaders/shaderlist.txt - that's where shaders used during compiles have to be listed. Don't put shaderlist.txt in your .pk3, though, only the .shader file.

@wedge:

ShaderEd is actually not a bad piece of soft for putting shaders together. Usually, I code them by hand in Vi or Notepad, but if I'm trying to do something I've never done before then ShaderEd (once you familiarize yourself with all of its features) can be quite handy. Choosing from its "blend" choices is especially nice--you get a preview of what each of the various blend operations would look like.

From my experience so far with Q3ase, I think its a shame Raven didn't just make a JK2-friendly version of it. It's really easy to use, and I can make and quickly preview some relatively advanced stuff for Q3. Its just that it cocks up my JK2 stuff.

Here is my Q3ase generated shader for a crate with a flickering light display panel:

textures/garrison/impcrate01

{

{

map textures/garrison/impcrate01.tga

blendfunc filter

}

{

map textures/garrison/impcrate01_light.tga

blendfunc add

rgbGen wave sin 0.35 0.2 1 8

}

{

blendfunc add

rgbGen identityLighting

}

{

blendfunc add

rgbGen identity

}

}

I first learned that JK2 can't have the file extension after the filename, so thats the first thing to delete. Beyond that, I'm stumped, especially since both Q3ase and ShaderEd are capable of previewing this shader properly. Add to my headaches the fact that I dont understand all the variables yet.

And notepad works sometime, but it still causes me trouble. I have tried using some of their existing transparent grate shaders with my own alpha channel grate textures and they refuse to work! Really weird. I have also tried using the shader from doomgiver/trim4d on my own textures to produce red flickering lights, and once again no luck. Sometimes these work and other times not.

Did you add garrison.shader or garrison? The entry in the list should not include the .shader extension.

Hmm...make sure that all .shader files are in the shaders/ directory (Q3A shader files went in scripts/), all textures are in the textures/ directory, and if all else fails, try packing your files into a .pk3, sometimes the game likes that better.

If none of that works, sorry man, I don't know what's causing your trouble. :(

Hey I cant wait to see this map ingame. From the screenshots it looks great! It will only look better in game. Any idea of an release date for this map? Just wondering. Anyway keep up the good work and hope to see this map soon.

Archived