Home

Nightfall MP map

Patrick_H

Not to be a bummer, but it may actually look not as good in-game. You never know. I'm going to say August 30th for a release date.

Yeah, I was up all night trying out ShaderEd2. It's really pretty nice once you get used to it. It helped me solve a few shader problems I was having that would have taken forever when done "by hand".

It's also a great learning tool. I learned a lot previewing Raven's shaders in ShaderEd2, and then comparing the information with the handy Q3 shader manual by Paul Jacquays. I already have a bunch of ideas for custom shaders now!

Got some updates:

shot0028.jpg

Seen above is a huge wall texture I recently did. This shows Q3map2 set for bounce 6 and bouncescale 2. Ambient is down to 10 now, and skylight is at 40.

shot0029.jpg

Here we see some ramps added in for better flow in gameplay.

shot0030.jpg

This shot isn't actually this bright in game. It's brighter than before though, and I removed the "Arcade game" machine between the stairs to improve the flow, and added some red and blue accents for the CTF theme,

shot0031.jpg

This is a fun shot of the last thing you see before you fall to your death in the cavern.

shot0032.jpg

This last one shows the "blue" cavern area where I added in two new textures- the grates and the vertical wall panels with blue lights.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, Patrick. I'm a fan. :)

This really throws me back to the style of JK/MotS, and I mean that in the good way. The map reminds me of the Valley of the Jedi Planet or the MotS Imperial asteroid levels. It really does have a distinct style going for it.

What remains to be done? The shots you've posted all look VERY complete, down to the little details. A month is a long time to finish a map off...are there lots of unconstructed areas?

This really throws me back to the style of JK/MotS, and I mean that in the good way. The map reminds me of the Valley of the Jedi Planet or the MotS Imperial asteroid levels. It really does have a distinct style going for it.

Does that for me too wedge :p. Good old nostalgia. Hey Pat keep it up and I am greatly looking forward to this map's release hehe.

Originally posted by wedge2211

What remains to be done? The shots you've posted all look VERY complete, down to the little details. A month is a long time to finish a map off...are there lots of unconstructed areas?

Well, no. It's mostly built. It's just that I am being realistic about replacing all of the JO textures with my own. Each texture I do takes me about 2-3 hours to design and then create in Photoshop. See, I am gunning for a job in the industry... so for my own aims, everything has to be "portfolio" material.

Originally posted by Reclaimer

Does it have CTF just wourdering.But that Map is GREAT I'm d/l it right when it's done!

The map is actually built in a CTF layout. There are blue and red shuttle pad and cavern areas to the west and east of the central canyon/garrison area. Maybe a FFA version should only have one shuttle area? Or should it just be the same map as CTF? I have only tested it in FFA so far. The gang at df-21.net will be helping me out in the CTF test this month.

Now that I think of it, the only thing bothering me about the canyon is the manufactured look of it. I am considering creating a heightmap and redoing all the rock contours in gensurf or easygen for a more natural look.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, wait until the novelty of JA dies down before you release it. Otherwise people will be like "OMG WOW THIS GAME IS SO COOL!!! What's that, a user level, oh I don't care THESE LEVELS ARE JUST SO COOL OMG I CAN DO THAT!@?!"

Oh I see. You'll know me in the game as Malus, or the one who gets his ass whooped a lot. I'm better at building than playing. The map is still there sitting for the moment. I am working a lot at new textures so there is a lot left to do. I was hoping to get it out in August. Oh well. I should be releasing it probably in October for Jedi Academy. I am split between my work in Dark Forces and stuff for UT2K3, so I am in no hurry. When I do any more work I'll post screens.

Archived