Home

Cuss us out and stuff here...

Remi

:(

I think the Scumm Bar was the web community I frequented. Today is a sad day. :( I'll miss you guys.

Tell me where does all the magic go

When the curtain falls to end the show

Do the clowns always cry

When they pack up the paper sky?

When the champagne is being poured

And the lock is on the old stage door

Will there still be a clown in the sky for me?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cry number 3 is broken. Man, everything is going down the drain. Folks, I still don't understand (not as if it has been explained already), why? Randy Sluganski is, like, 75 years old and he is still pushing his little thing. Could it be that you're sick and tired of the whole thing? Why not just hand it over to somebody else?

Originally posted by Jake

Skyfox and Remi are stupid jerks for closing the site, but it's understandable... I guess. :cry6: 3 years since a Monkey Island game came out, like 7 years since a good one ¬. ... :(

Yeah. It's difficult to accept, but Jake is probably right. Hurmph. There is probably not any crazy sexy cool new info about Monkey Island that is going to arise any time soon.

What's the term, "jumping the shark"?

You guy still suck though. cuss.

I LOVE THE SCUMM BAR!!

When I was a kid there was a T.V. show called Monkey Magic.

Monkey Magic was a low budget, badly-dubbed Chinese series about the adventures of an unlikely group of characters, led by a demi-god called Monkey. Monkey could pluck a hair from his chest and use it to summon a cloud to fly about on. He could turn into a fly, or grow to the size of a giant. He wore a metal headband that a priest could make shrink and crush his head if he misbehaved.

Sometimes I'd catch an episode of Monkey Magic when it was on. Sometimes I'd forget to watch it, or I'd have better things to do than stare at the T.V.

Monkey Magic isn't broadcast anymore, and you know what? I'd do anything to watch it again.

What's this got to do with the SCUMM Bar, you say?

It just goes to show that you never really appreciate something until it is gone.

Thanks for all your work, guys.

One more thing.

Presuming that a lack of time and/or motivation is to blame for the closure, perhaps it would be possible to find someone to carry on the good work.

I can't direct or write an episode of Monkey Magic (and I'm too old and out of shape to play Monkey!), but I can think of lots of interesting ways to freshen up the site. I'm sure that there are many other people who feel the same way.

Err...Feel the same way about the site, that is. I doubt that many people care or even remember Monkey Magic.

Now, excuse me while I hug myself, rock back and forth in my chair, and sing the Monkey Magic theme song whilst crying about all the things that I've lost.

"Born *sniffle* from an egg on a *choke* mountain top, Monkey was funky..."

When i first read the news i was literally crying <-- this is not a joke (it was probably the music) but now i've learned to live with it and i just wanna say good luck in whatever you're gonna do, and maybe i'll se you arround

Originally posted by Lemort

Monkey Magic was a low budget, badly-dubbed Chinese series about the adventures of an unlikely group of characters, led by a demi-god called Monkey...I'd do anything to watch it again.

The dubbing was done like that intentionally by British actors doing funny voices. Its not bad, its camp! You can watch it again! It's avaliable on DVD in the UK.

You are right though. This is grossly off topic.

perhaps it would be possible to find someone to carry on the good work.

There are many other sites that do carry on the good work.

I think that the Scumm Bar is Skyfox's site. He always remained involved in some way. If he's not involved anymore, it's not the Scumm Bar, and the mantle should be passed to other worthy sites.

Originally posted by Andi Wan

The dubbing was done like that intentionally by British actors doing funny voices. Its not bad, its camp! You can watch it again! It's avaliable on DVD in the UK.

You are right though. This is grossly off topic.

That's great news, because actually I *do* live in... Err... China, actually. Ok, so that's not such good news for me.

And off topic? I thought it was a touching tribute that used a personal childhood memory to highlight my feelings about the closure of the Scumm Bar. Doh!

There are many other sites that do carry on the good work.

Agreed.

There are also lots of other crazy Chinese fantasy movies/programs. I still miss Monkey Magic.

Wow. I'm getting waaaay more mileage out of my Monkey Magic analogy than I ever expected!

I think that the Scumm Bar is Skyfox's site. He always remained involved in some way. If he's not involved anymore, it's not the Scumm Bar, and the mantle should be passed to other worthy sites.

Of course, and I have a lot of respect for Skyfox. I still think that the site could viably continue in some way.

Okay, so this site is so big, it developed a life of its own. and so it's only right that it have a will when it dies. I think elements of the site should be distributed around other misites around here so it can live in in some form or another.

Hi everybody,

I haven't posted here before, but I've been a fan of The SCUMM Bar for many years as well as the Monkey Island games, of course.

If hosting is a problem, then I can provide reliable hosting for the site if necessary - I have my own server and I'd hate to see TSB disappear! To most people here I'm probably just a stranger, but I do own several popular sites (eg, http://www.tt-forums.net). If there's any way I can help, then please get in touch.

*sniff*

I don't actually think hosting is a problem (considering it already gets free hosting from Mojo provided it puts up with advertisements and occasional server downtimes). I think it's main probelm was that it really had nothing to get updated about anymore except stuff that the fans did and quite frankly, we already have quite a few good mi sites that already count for that (worldofmi, BSBC, MIlegend, as well as Mojo) and so saw itself as redundant. I still hope that it stays up so we can get access to it's info on MI that very few sites have including it's interveiws and articals. Ofcourse, if you do, I'll be visiting less often as I usually visited every day for any new news.

New game, and hopefully you'll all go back, no one did it like you. I'm not sure if that was good or bad, but it was still different and something I liked.

RIP The Scumm Bar, Once, and Future King.

Peace

Neil

;)

I remember when Skyfox reprimanded me for posting a million messages whilst I was fooling around with VBScript like four years ago. What a great father he was to me lol; not really, but The SCUMM Bar really did make an impact on the whole community and we're better off for it. Good bye SCUMM Bar. Life will not be the same.

Just want to say that this is so bad for the MI world community.

When i first visited THE SCUMM BAR, I decided to have my own web site concerning MI. I've done it thanks to you guys :)

I think i will remember the site for a long time, you made such a great job... :cry8:

Hi, all!

I've intentionally stayed out of the posting boards all these years. But I feel compelled to say something upon hearing of the end of the Scumm Bar web site. Whenever I wanted to know something about Monkey Island it's where I went.

I remember one time, while we were making Curse that we actually saw information about our game that the management hadn't told Larry and I about.

As we were making the game, there was a thread on the Scumm Bar about how we were making Curse of Monkey Island in something called "SCUMM 3D." So naturally, we added the "3D" mode in the menu options (which did nothing, because there was never anything called SCUMM 3D). So, in a way, the Scumm Bar contributed to our game.

Cheers to the Scumm Bar!

Sincerely,

Jonathan Ackley

Co-Project leader on "The Curse of Monkey Island"

Originally posted by jma

Cheers to the Scumm Bar!

Cheers, indeed.

Well, since Jonathan Ackley posts here, i suppose i can forget about this being a big evil joke. I suppose it's true, then. Great :(

Scummbar people: When did you decide to shut down the scummbar? And what website shall we go to now if we want news about Monkey Island TM ?

-Rapp Scallion

Archived