Home

Small Project Download

Nilrem

Well I've got a lot on my plate right now, such as different projects going on and whatnot, well I realised basically I had come here, said I was recruiting for a project and talked about it, but I didn't actually upload/post/show any work that I have done.

Whilst this isn't anything major, nor that impressive, because I have been sidetracked with other projects/things, I thought I better throw together something that demonstrates the movement part of the game engine.

This small download (Approx. 310KB) has Guybrush walking around on the shopkeeper scene of SoMI (On Melee Island, the shopkeeper who fancies Carla the swordmaster).

If you don't have winrar you can get it from <HERE>

<HERE> is where you can download the movement demo.

I haven't tried the demo yet, but from the file name I guess that the interface will be point & click...

You never mentioned that. It would be cool to have proof that point & click and 3D don't exclude one another like LucasArts makes us believe.

I get a Runtime Error 506 - Could not load image at line 17 (Running XP SP1). I'm interesting in seeing how this works, though.

Also, Alien, get The Longest Journey. It's a great game and it uses 3D (models, at least) and point and click - although I guess that's not what you mean.

Originally posted by scabb

Also, Alien, get The Longest Journey. It's a great game and it uses 3D (models, at least) and point and click - although I guess that's not what you mean.

Damn thing doesn't work for me with XP

Also Syberia and Discworld Noir is really good 3D game with a point'n'click interface.

And Nilrem, doesn't work for me either, I get the same message as Scabb does.

heh, I'm only kidding, you can pretty much do what you want here as long as you're not completely retarded. Stick around, and stuff, it's, um, fun.

Anyway, Nilrem, get the Monkey Island 3D thing sorted or death ;D

It would be cool to have proof that point & click and 3D don't exclude one another like LucasArts makes us believe.

There was an interview with Mike Stemmle over at adventuregamers.com where they asked what engine they would be using and he said it was a point and click engine made from the other engines they had lying around. I'd give you the link, but their site was hacked down too. There is a thread in the Sam and Max forums talking about it though.

No, this is not the 3D version, I'm no artist, this is the 2D version, hmm I'll look into it, I never tested it, well I did but not including the .pck file which made it smaller (it was originally 630kb rarred without using a .pck file)

As for a 3D version, well for point and click, they don't really go hand in hand, but when I get some artists and setup a matrix I'll have a go at it, has anyone else tried this? If so how did you overcome the Z axis problem?

Try it now (it's approx. 600KB in size).

Bear in mind this is only demonstrating movement on a 2D basis.

Please ignore the numbers they are for debugging purposes.

Please post feedback, as I know the movement part of the engine needs improving.

Click <HERE>

Originally posted by Nilrem

No, this is not the 3D version, I'm no artist, this is the 2D version, hmm I'll look into it, I never tested it, well I did but not including the .pck file which made it smaller (it was originally 630kb rarred without using a .pck file)

As for a 3D version, well for point and click, they don't really go hand in hand, but when I get some artists and setup a matrix I'll have a go at it, has anyone else tried this? If so how did you overcome the Z axis problem?

actually mouse is 2D .. to use it for 3D Interface there are several ways and even more..

computeraided movement..

"depthsensitive pointer" with "depth" click to switch ..

use the viewangle a way the cursor can reach items..

combine all above

What don't you like about it jannar? The look? If so well this is not what the game will look like, like I stated I am no artist, and just threw together what you saw to demonstrate the movement/pathfinding code.

Do you, or anyone have some feedback on that aspect of it?

I haven't tampered with the code since so no changes, sorry but I am really busy. I may setup mi.accessroot.com to keep people informed better if the project accumulates enough interest.

BooJaka what OS are you running? Also was the filesize different to the one before, if not perhaps you have downloaded the same file (what was in your cache). Probably not the case, it's most likely an OS issue but it should run fine under all Windows machines, ahh it has just become apparent to me, I am using the latest Direct X drivers (9.1 I think, maybe 9.0 beta forgotten the newest one out). For those who it works are you using the newest verison of Direct X? (not 8.1, but the version 9 beta)

Archived