Home

Hacks on SWGalaxies...FLASHBACK!!!

Goose_Of_Mercy

Hey all,

I was mediatating in the lotus position when it occured to me...HACKS!!! Suddenly I had flashbacks to D2, Starcraft, Warcraft III and many other games (what?...I like Blizzard)

Soooo What is going on with hacks? Do they have a nice secure server or what?

BTW by hacks I mean Hacked items, characters buildings, money whatever, any type of hack.

~SK~

Hacking doesn't usually happen on MMOGs. They spend a lot of money on security; they have to because of the nature of this kind of game. All character information is kept server side, also. If you wanted to mess with your character, you would have to hack in, and I'm guessing that is no small feat.

man, to hack such a server would be increadible, BUT, what kind of low down loser would want a hacked char, i mean comeon, if you are that lame then why even play the game, you prove nothing by hacking anything to improve a character, other than you have no respect for yourself, and what fun is a game after you play with the cheats...cough,cough....., besides hacking into sucha server would be more thana LARGE feat, and anyone able to do so prolly has better things to hack into, can u say DIA LOL!!!

I agree someone will try to hack into it. But I think they should be able to limit it and find where it is and destroy it.

Most people who can hack into a game like that wont do it b.c they dont want to have a chance of getting caught and would rather steal money or screw with the goverment. (god damn Dubya)

~SK~

Again, the main difference is that in all those games you referred to, you actually hack your client. You make your client behave weird, and therefore you are able to cheat; the entire game is on your computer, so it's easy to hack the client. For instance, in Diablo2, your character is saved on your hard drive, not a difficult place to access.

In a MMORPG, all info on your character is situated on the server instead. That means, you can't dupe, train or in any other way improve your character without hacking the SOE server. And that is difficult, to say the least. Even if you did, the logs of the game would be pretty revealing.

MMORPGs are free of cheating, then? No. The cheats that exists are often rather exploits; bugs and faulty code that enables you to gain an unappropriate advantage. That's part of what your mothly pay goes to; a team of programmers who keeps on fixing these exploits for the next patch. Therefore, it is important to /bug those exploits, so we are able to keep them at a minimum. The other kind of unfair advantages are macros, a way to give the game a stream of commands without doing it yourself. This is not necessarily cheating, since macros are used for ease of communication, and for those long commands that you use on a daily basis. But they can also be used to have your character working away all night without you attending it. The amount of macro cheating is depending on how simple tasks you have to perform to gain experience.

I believe it would be hilarious, as an April Fool's Joke, if the dev's got together and screwed with the game for a day to make it really messed up, and then blamed a hacker, only to unveil their mastermind later.

On second thought, this would make people angry, confused, lose hope in the "unbeatable" servers, and many would cancel their accounts after never hearing it was only a joke... Man, some people.:rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

You can't hack a character in SWG the same as you can in Diablo, etc. All character information is stored on the servers, and anything your client sends is verified before it's accepted. Thusly, it's next to impossible to actually 'hack' a character.

You could hack the servers of SWG but it would take some guts and you would probably end up in jail in the end.

The servers these days are too protected to be able to hack into the servers from the outside. The hack that created the Black Dye tub in UO happened through one of the Game Masters. Betcha didnt know that ;)

Archived