Home

"The Hulk" Flops!

Darth Groovy

I been reading reviews all day, and most critics are unanimous, despite some decent acting, The Hulk looks silly, and the story is barely enough to hold the attention of another T.V. Pilot. Consider this Marvel's first flop since The Punisher. Hopefully, this will not hamper future releases like The Punisher.

Linkage:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/entertainment/movies/hulk.htm

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/hulk.html

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=vf1f1emuqdou07%40news.supernews.com

Hulk's never been one of my favorite Marvel heroes, although I've always respected the character as a classic. The teaser preview (where you see the house break after the guy is in the bathroom shaking a lot and doing a voice-over) looked pretty silly when I saw it last year, and I had thought then that if anything, the Hulk would be the flop of the other Marvel movies that have been coming out in the past couple of years.

However, despite what the critics say, it can't be a flop unless no one goes to see it, and since it hasn't come out yet, who knows how it will do? I'm not particularly anxious for the film's release, though.

yeah, i had a feeling it'd be a flop.

"he can lift 100 tons" and "he can leap over three miles". how f***in ridiculous is that? i can understand if the said something like three hundred feet but i think three miles is overdoing it a little bit, as well as 100 tons. he's honestly not that big. and i think the whole storyline (which is what, btw?) seems a little stupid, imo.

sorry if i repeated anything in those reviews, i'm too lazy to follow them and read the reviews cause i can tell you what their general idea is. not that i'm gonna post them here, but still. i think i have a "vague" idea.

Despite this, the Hulk gamecube game is just pure entertainment. as a game goes, it's pretty crap, but spend a while picking things up and hurling them at others, or just beat the crap out of someone. No thinking needed, just pure entertainment for a out five minutes. a kind of no brainer. and i'll still watch the movie to form my own opinion because i don't like people telling me what to think and i don't live my life by critics.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Despite this, the Hulk gamecube game is just pure entertainment. as a game goes, it's pretty crap, but spend a while picking things up and hurling them at others, or just beat the crap out of someone. No thinking needed, just pure entertainment for a out five minutes. a kind of no brainer. and i'll still watch the movie to form my own opinion because i don't like people telling me what to think and i don't live my life by critics.

With my fav gamesmagizine in front of me, I see the game got 30 out of 100. So yeah, it's crap.

The Hulk was basically just a failed attempt to score with a second rate superhero. Worked with Spiderman...

Originally posted by Deadmeat_X

With my fav gamesmagizine in front of me, I see the game got 30 out of 100. So yeah, it's crap.

Again, I don't live my life by critics (especially the opinion of one) and it may be said that this is the crappest game on earth, and I wouldn't argue. But hell, with no plot, no reality and no learning curve, beating the complete crap out of someone by simply chucking crap at them, that's the kind of game I'd be playing when I was seriously pissed off.

Originally posted by Deadmeat_X

The Hulk was basically just a failed attempt to score with a second rate superhero. Worked with Spiderman...

Are you trolling, boy? On what planet is Spider-Man "a second rate superhero"?

Meh, I liked it, the whole concept talked to me, a blind superhero. plus it was darker than Spiderman or X-men (not just in colour composition) as he actually kills people he doesn't like rather than have them kill themselves by accident or locking them up so they can rise again. And like batman, he doesn't rely on superhuman strength, he's just a normal human with heightened senses (apart from sight) and a sort of radar (unlike batman, but batman is just the coolest, not the movies though).

Also his whole relastionship with Elektra is compelling as they love each other by as themselves and try to kill each other as their counterparts.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Meh, I liked it, the whole concept talked to me, a blind superhero. plus it was darker than Spiderman or X-men (not just in colour composition) as he actually kills people he doesn't like rather than have them kill themselves by accident or locking them up so they can rise again. And like batman, he doesn't rely on superhuman strength, he's just a normal human with heightened senses (apart from sight) and a sort of radar (unlike batman, but batman is just the coolest, not the movies though).

Also his whole relastionship with Elektra is compelling as they love each other by as themselves and try to kill each other as their counterparts.

Yes, Daredevil really surprised me as a film, he did not have a large surplus of weapons like Batman does, he IS a vigilante, and yes... the love interest with him and Elektra worked well. The only thing that bugged me, was the over the top action scenes, but being a Comic Book movie, I suppose that was inevitable....

However, that whole vigilante approach has me looking forward to The Punsher. We will have to see what happens next....

i liked this very old batman tv-series when i was a child. BATMAAAAAAN dadadadadadadadadadadadada (imagine it IS the theme) -newt- -poof- -strewdch- BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

it was hard to pretend they really could walk up walls the way they did..

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

However, that whole vigilante approach has me looking forward to The Punsher. We will have to see what happens next....

I can't actually see the pubnisher doing well, but hey, what do I know?

The only thing that bugged me, was the over the top action scenes, but being a Comic Book movie, I suppose that was inevitable....

Actually, thats one of the things i really like, spiderman was to lifelike, but if you look at a lot of marvel or DC comic, action is exageratted a lot more (obviously because they're still pics so they need to convey the action) and that is what i saw in the movie. also, the action sequences were used basically to show how much of a dare devil he is being blind, I thought it was pretty good.

Well according to the reviews he gets bigger the more mad he gets, which of course never happened to Lou Ferigno in the original TV series. A giant Hulk does seem a bit silly to me, even though I was a fan of the original TV series...

The movie is not a remake of the TV series, but an adaptation of the comic book... in which the Hulk does get bigger as he is more provoked. The 100-ton lifting, 3-mile leaping stats are the lower limits of the Hulk. Sufficiently provoked, the Hulk basically has limitless power.

That is, unless someone can come up with enough power to take out the Hulk in one blow, completely obliterating him. That much power would probably take out half the earth, as well.

Now, the movie was the top movie of last weekend, earning around $60 million in the United States and has the best June opening ever, so it's hardly a flop--at least monetarily speaking.

I did feel that they were closer to the comic book and after seeing a few scenes earlier, it looks as if it's going to be good. And in my opinion, superhero movies aren't all the same and Stan Lee made an effort to make all of his characters unique. When Spiderman first came out, he was the only teenage superhero who had to deal with the usual teenage problems as well as his spider thing. Daredevil was the only blind hero who was also a vigilante. The X-men had more of a team effort yet still had each team member have their own storyline and history (yes, the fantastic four, I know). And the Hulk has the whole anger thing and how being a super human is actually a bad thing for him and for all concerned.

I would have loved if like in the comics, spiderman and daredevil could have teamed up at one point in the movies, but of course, columbia did spiderman and fox did daredevil so no hope there.

Originally posted by brief

The movie is not a remake of the TV series, but an adaptation of the comic book... in which the Hulk does get bigger as he is more provoked. The 100-ton lifting, 3-mile leaping stats are the lower limits of the Hulk. Sufficiently provoked, the Hulk basically has limitless power.

That is, unless someone can come up with enough power to take out the Hulk in one blow, completely obliterating him. That much power would probably take out half the earth, as well.

Now, the movie was the top movie of last weekend, earning around $60 million in the United States and has the best June opening ever, so it's hardly a flop--at least monetarily speaking.

I grew up a poor kid. I did not have alot of comic books, and once I did start collecting, the price had gone up, so I had to be selective of the ones I did buy. All the memory of Hulk I have, is what was on the TV show, which had some good points at the time it was made...sorry. :(

Archived