Home

What's up with English Runaway?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FRS in Eindhoven (Heuvel Gallerie) have the game, I've had it in my hands this very afternoon (didn't buy it though, like Firefoot I prefer a full English game).

I've also seen it in a different shop but I can't remember offhand which.

Man, some posts while I was away, a survey of replies:

Originally posted by decibelio

these were gamershell.com's release dates, mind you :) . But I think they meant the full English version that you demand.

I still don't understand that the English version isn't released while the Dutch version is... And that one is based on the English version...

Originally posted by curacao

First of all, as far as I know, there's been no official Runaway demo released; you're almost certainly playing the leaked and unofficial alpha version which many sites have claimed is a demo. Second of all, if that *is* the version you're playing, it doesn't contain any speech, so don't worry about it. :) It ain't a bug.

Ok... someone must have misunderstood me when I explained my problem on the Benelux version of the Runaway forums... Makes me a bit more happy about the full game... ;)

Originally posted by Wersus

"This item will be released on 25 July, 2003." That's from amazon.co.uk. Seems like it's gonna be a while till we get our hands on Runaway =/.

Argh... And I was planning on playing it on my holiday... *sob*

Originally posted by SAR

Iam also from holland and I looked in every free record shop and there is NO WAY that the English version with Dutch subtitles is out, I also asked the clerk and he confirmed.

So Firefoot please give me the free record shop location where you found this game and I will call them to ask if this is true.

At first it is Firefoot... I'm no diner! ;) And second, if you don't trust my word (since I've seen him taking out the CDs of the rack) go ahead and call them:

Free Recordshop Vlaardingen: 010-4355565

Originally posted by SAR

Runaway is out in English language version but only has Dutch subtitles.

Firefoot please accept my apoligies you were right.

:D Accepted... And I've been told that the menu items and the inventory items are also in Dutch and can't be switched off... So you have to live with inventaris... ;)

Firefoot,

why the complete English version hasn't been released yet is beyond me either. I just guess it's more a financial issue than a technical because they must have already made the English voice-overs as an English version with Dutch subtitles is available like you and others stated. I could imagine that Pendulo Studios has some troubles in finding a publisher for Runaway in the UK. Don't know if I'm right, but I think Pendulo had financial problems like this before so at first it was not clear whether they could release Runaway at all.

Actually, Runaway has a publisher for both the UK (GMX) and US (Tri-Synergy) releases, so that's not the holdup. There was an article on AGers before it went down about some legal obstacle to the English release (though it apparently doesn't apply in Holland). Forum speculation at the time was that it had something to do with rights to the name "Runaway," but as far as I know there was never any official clarification on that point.

I agree with you then, amishler, those legal affairs are very likely to cause such a holdup. After thinking about that, it also explains why an English version was produced in the first place, because if Pendulo didn't have any publishers in the UK & the US they wouldn't bother investing money in an english-language project.

Hmm, it's like Gamespot read our minds. Or our forum.

Tri Synergy has announced that Runaway: A Road Adventure is now scheduled to ship in early August.
No word on the GMX-published UK edition, but I would imagine it will release about the same time. It's funny, because the blurb also mentions that Runaway has just reached beta, where I thought the English version had been pretty much done and gathering dust for ages. And no mention whatsoever of delays due to legal issues. I'm so confused. :confused:

Oh well, as long as the game ends up in my hands, I care very little about the path it takes to get there. And it sounds like it's on its way!

EDIT: There are two new movies on Gamespot as well. You need to be a GS Complete subscriber to view them, though.

Now, at last you'll get to play that terrific game :) . Even though some strange facts about its production may remain unknown *plays x-files intro music* ;) . I'm replaying Runaway at the moment, it's just that I still remember most of the puzzles *sob*.

Where can i find the english demo now? Can't remember where I downloaded it to my old computer... Or was there ever an english demo? Have i played some foreing language demo for some reason? were there even a demo? am i going crazy and was the demo just my imagination? Maybe it never happened... Maybe there's just a conspiracy trying to fool me!

Or have they just taken the demo off their website?

http://www.gamesdomain.com/demos/demo/1511.html for example. But it's not really a demo, read curacao's post:

Originally posted by curacao

First of all, as far as I know, there's been no official Runaway demo released; you're almost certainly playing the leaked and unofficial alpha version which many sites have claimed is a demo. Second of all, if that *is* the version you're playing, it doesn't contain any speech, so don't worry about it. :) It ain't a bug.

And you still need True Motion Codec (for download at GamersHell.com) in order to get it to work, as Firefoot already mentioned. Still want to try it out ;) ?

Read Homoludens' Runaway thread for info on the demo at GamersHell.com (seems to be a different one but pretty lame according to him).

Originally posted by jaf

I just bought the Spanish re-release on DVD-ROM, supposedly with remastered videos and new dialogues... and all just for 9.95 € :)

*missing the pan smilie* I wanna play too... but the English one... :eek:;)

I read somewhere--Pendulo's site, I think--that the new voiceovers feature the Spanish voice of Angelina Jolie (i.e., the actress who dubs Angelina Jolie's lines into Spanish) as Gina. And yes, that's the most significant thing all I can contribute to this conversation at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

ARGH!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!

This item will be released on 5 September, 2003. You may order it now and we will dispatch it to you when we receive it from our supplier. Please note that release dates are subject to change.

Amazon.co.uk

And I was happy that the 25th of July was só close... 5th of September is way past my holidays... :mad:

Archived