Home

About that new Harry Potter book...

I don't feel like reading it. I am simultaneously reading Pavic's Dictionary of the Quasars (I finally got it in the original, and it is hilarious), Hesse's Siddhartha, and Harvard and the Unabomber (a "how-to" manual, really good too).

Can someone tell me who dies in the Potter book. I made this bet with a friend - I said Hagrid must go. That is all.

From the last paragraph:

"The adventure is over!" Harry said gleefully. He gave a smile to Ron and Hermione and made his way home.

Later that night, Harry tripped over a rock and fell down a cliff to his bloody death. Indeed, Harry was right, the adventures are over.

The End.

I'll give it a burl when I get my hands on it, I read the first 3 on one day and the fourth the next. They are ALL very similar, even the story arcs.

I sure hope in this one he doesn't face yet another incarnation of he who shouldn't be named but is really a silly villain with a serious glass jaw complex.

The books are supposed to get more 'adult' in subject matter in order to keep pace with their aging (growing up) audience apparently. From the first 4 all I see is more padding and repetition in each installment. Its reads like a soap opera script repeating often in case you missed an episode or are watching it while ironing.

On the cover of the next Harry Potter maybe he can be bare chested, clutching a slender young women with big breasts tightly against his 6-pack abs. Maybe he can find out he has a half brother, who is really an imposter named Thorn or Ridge or something equally gritty... who turns out to be yet another plot of Voldemort's to kill Harry Potter!... What a surprise :o

Pleto, if I was still reading it, I wouldn't want to know the page number of a specific event, especially a major one like this, so I took that into consideration.

Originally posted by Gabez

Hehe.

I must admit I was reading that till it was light outside last night. ;¬

Me too. I finished it at 6:30 this morning. Oof.

Originally posted by amishler

Pleto, if I was still reading it, I wouldn't want to know the page number of a specific event, especially a major one like this, so I took that into consideration.

oh...well, that's a way to think of it...:)

So question...does it happen sudden or is it known that it WILL happen? :confused:

Originally posted by Mark_C

From the last paragraph:

"The adventure is over!" Harry said gleefully. He gave a smile to Ron and Hermione and made his way home.

Later that night, Harry tripped over a rock and fell down a cliff to his bloody death. Indeed, Harry was right, the adventures are over.

The End.

ROTFLMAO, Mark! Pure poetry!

I got the book Saturday morning at 9 AM at a local Waldenbooks here in MA, USA after attending a fiasco midnight opening at Borders Books the night before. Over 1000 people had shown up, they only had four registers open, and I was # 618 in line (they handed out tickets). Even though I had a preorder in (since early March) and many in front of me didn't preorder at all, Borders still informed me that if I went home they would sell my preordered book to someone else and I'd have to wait for a shipment the next week... :eek:

I'm only a quarter of the way through it, but I'm enjoying it. I switch off reading it with my 8-year-old; it's a fun bonding thing, and something that encourages her to read.

The HP games are stinkers for sure, but I like the books and their characters. :amidala:

Yeah, so ok... I have just been to the local Hastings (a mostrous book store that seems to populate the South only. It has one shelf of what they call "classics" which is pretty much high school reading and the rest are self-help and Christian books), WalMart, small local store called Midsummer Night Books... even a couple of second-hand book stores -- NO BOOK STORE ON THE ISLAND HAS IT. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, TELL ME WHO DIES....

Originally posted by DomStLeger

Beth dies.

Oh wait, thats a different book?

LOL! The episode of Friends where Joey's reading Little Women is just hilarious!

"Beth is really, really sick." "You wanna put the book in the freezer?"

A couple of interesting statistics on first-day sales in the US, from a New York Times article:

The new novel in the Harry Potter series set a staggering sales record as fans bought about five million copies by the end of its first day on sale Saturday, according to its United States publisher, Scholastic. That is nearly twice as many as the estimated sales in 12 months of last year's best-selling novel in hardcover, "The Summons," by John Grisham.
The five million copies sold, at retail prices from $17 to $30, surpassed the first weekend's box office for the latest blockbuster movie, "Hulk," which sold $62.6 million in tickets in its three-day opening weekend.
Oh, and it's good, too.

Originally posted by Skinny Minnie

ROTFLMAO, Mark! Pure poetry!

I got the book Saturday morning at 9 AM at a local Waldenbooks here in MA, USA after attending a fiasco midnight opening at Borders Books the night before. Over 1000 people had shown up, they only had four registers open, and I was # 618 in line (they handed out tickets). Even though I had a preorder in (since early March) and many in front of me didn't preorder at all, Borders still informed me that if I went home they would sell my preordered book to someone else and I'd have to wait for a shipment the next week... :eek:

My mum bought my sister a copy from Tesco on saturday. Apparently they had a huge number of books and no queue.

Never fear, Kingz! I will risk the rath of Tamara and tell you who dies!

I am quite serious and I am not joking so please read the following only if you want it spoiled.

Sirius dies

I was quite let down by the fifth book actually. I don't have time now to say everthing I want to. Hey, Amishler. Why don't you start a thread for people to discuss it after they have read it. That way no one will have to read any spoilers if they don't want to. I'll post on it this afternoon.

Originally posted by Mark_C

From the last paragraph:

The End.

That would be awesome

Archived