Home

ScummVM Aspect Ratio Correction

Benny

Hoorah, ScummVM finally has aspect ratio correction, press ctrl-alt-a ingame to activate it, you'll need a daily build or new cvs build to try it.

You might not be able to tell from those screenshots but it really does make a big difference, try turning it on/off as you play and you'll see. Once youve used it you wont ever go back.

New ScummVm? its just another feature. Why dont you go and try it Gabez instead of getting me to make more screenshots¬

Aspect ratio correction a-la the entertainment pack, see that article on WWHS for before and after images.

Originally posted by bgbennyboy

Damm you all. Before and after shots here here here and here

Correct aspect ratio is the bottom one.

[Edit]except for DOTT where its the top one

.. hehehe.

ASPECT RATIO CORRECTION FIXES the problem of different pixelsizes and forms on monitors. e.g. if you paint a circle using SQUARE-pixels and then try to use these pixeldefinitions (positions) to draw a circle with RECTANGULAR pixels.. then you'll get everything BUT a correct circle.

this is the point where you need CORRECT ASPECT RATIO to get circles everywhere.

But aren't all of our monitors adjusted differently? What if the "normal" aspect ratio was actually already fixed for us because of the way our monitors are set? So changing to "fixed" aspect ratio may horribly skew the games, rendering them ugly?

Also, which aspect is correct? In some of the games, the more "squared" aspect looks better (Sam & Max), whilst in the others, I prefer the "rectangulared" aspect (Monkey 2). Please tell me why I am horribly mistaken.

Also, on the subject of ScummVM, those filters suck in most cases.

That's quite obvious. For VGA games (320x200 px) the aspect ratio is 1.6:1. Therefore the correct resolution for running on a 1024x768 px machine is 1024x640 px since 1024 / 1.6 = 640.

But that example isn't so good, I guess, because every pixel would have to be multiplied by 3.2.

.. the aspect ratio is given as a sum of graphiccard / graphicmode / monitor .. . . you can change it by programming it .. ;-) ..

oh just forgot.. there are these knobs on the monitor.. there you can fix this prob VERY manual.

nowadays this is normally handled by the driver. so dont be TOO concerned about it.

ScummVM actually appears to be running at proper full screen for some people, but it's not too common. If your display supports fullscreen 640x400 or 320x200, you will be seeing all the games running at proper aspect ratio in fullscreen mode. However, most newer displays don't support either of these modes, so ScummVM has to use 640x480, which is obviously 80 pixels taller than 640x400. That means that it has to draw 40 pixels of black space above and below the image. What aspect ratio correction does, is stretch out the game an extra 80 pixels, so people with modern displays can see the games as they were meant to be played (filling up the whole screen, instead of squished).

Also, aspect ratio correction works great for windowed mode on any display. The games will end up looking a lot more like you remember them. Max's head is properly round, Ben's chin is long instead of looking like a squished piece of pie. It's quite nice.

You know it's actually quite bizarre, even before Benny posted the 'before-and-after' images I could some SOME sort of difference, although it really just looked taller... and yet somehow BETTER. I got a really strong feeling of the first time I played those old LA classics... How bizarre (or not?).

~ John

Archived