Home

electrical sabers??

Rockstar

Maybee they should make different animations for absorb. Instead of the blue aura, your character would react to the

force power affecting them. For example, if affected by lightning your character would block it with his saber (like obi-wan) IF he was using absorb. If the enemy would grip you, your character would make a weak force push.

But I dont think Raven should do this, because I'd rather like them to concentrate on getting the saber combat near perfection ;)

I didn't like how obi wan just casually blocked the lightning. I think it totally downplayed the way yoda absorbed it. So i dont think sabers should be able to block lightning. But maybe there can be an animation where your character holds up his/her hand and absorbs the lightning.

I think that perhaps you should only be able to block lightning in light stance, since it's the most defensive (supposedly)

Maybe you should have to pay 2 points for it in yellow and 3 to able to block it in red. Of course, i think that your crosshair must be on the attacker (so it's red) just to keep it fair :)

Oh and rock, you can press the edit button to change you post.

I don't like the idea, simply because I'm no fan of Ep.II. I didn't like the way it felt. Plus, I don't really want to see lightning as much in JA anyway. Of course, this is just my own opinion, and I'm in something of a minority. As long as the gameplay isn't greatly affected, I wont mind using lightning rods as weapons.

I'd like to see it ... perhaps because I AM a fan of EPII (and Obi-Wan is my model, maybe that's why I liked JO so much, I could play like Obi in EPII).

But - in SP or MP - I would like to see a significant Force cost. Also agree - facing attacker, Blue stance, defensive only.

Mike

i not quite sure where i've heard this, but obi was using a lower form of abosrb where the lighting was channelled to the lightsaber and since lighting doesn't hurt any non-living thing (ever seen da siths using lighting on anything other than peopel??) it just cancelled out, but yoda was actually taking the lighting into his puny green body :)

Originally posted by kusanagi

i not quite sure where i've heard this, but obi was using a lower form of abosrb where the lighting was channelled to the lightsaber and since lighting doesn't hurt any non-living thing (ever seen da siths using lighting on anything other than peopel??) it just cancelled out, but yoda was actually taking the lighting into his puny green body :)

Which seems to indicate that Yoda is a big dummy. Why didn't he take out his lightsaber sooner, if it is so easy to block lightning that way.

Originally posted by Prime

Which seems to indicate that Yoda is a big dummy. Why didn't he take out his lightsaber sooner, if it is so easy to block lightning that way.

That would be a little dummy ;)

Actually, I think you can see that Anakin got tossed like something from the HL2 demo with little effort, and Dooku thought he was going to do the same with ObiWan. When it came to Yoda, he was very intense, and Yoda is not one to be quick to pull a weapon.

Mike

yes obi wan is cool

tho it would be quite cool if one could stop lightning like that.

yoda didnt' pull out a weapon. why? coz he didn't have to.

he almost "intimidated" dooku as he mearly caught the most powerful dark attack

Originally posted by Emon

It's not really blocking lightning with the saber. It's a weaker and more simplified absorbsion method, like what Yoda used, only where the Jedi channels energy through an object.

That sounds reasonable. I hope that if we have Force Absorb (in SP) we can do that ...

Mike

Remember all Jedi manipulate the force to their own use...Obi-Wan probably used the force to direct the lightning to his saber or the lightning prolly made its way to Obi-Wan's saber and his saber,being electrical,could have cancelled the electrical charge.

Yoda,on the other hand,he manipulated the force so that he could 'catch' or 'absorb' all the lightning and direct it back to Dooku.

Originally posted by toms

i don't see how it would work ingame though... most people would have their sabers out, so anyone using lightning would find it automatically blocked... since there isn't a block key or anything...

It would have to be using Absorb, so you would have to activate it to block.

Mike

Aside from the Qui-Gonn / Obi-Wan / Darth Maul duel, the prequels have been less than inspiring. Regarding Obi-Wan's blocking of Force Lightning with his lightsaber, I was just like, WTF? Then I began thinking of how Luke threw his saber away before the Emperor toasted him - if blocking Force Lightning was that easy, then Luke really....chose pooooooooorly.

vagabond.... luke threw his saber away in a statement of refusal to do any more harm to his father (whom he had defeated and need do anything else)

people say that absorb is really only an elite jedi move, which it probably is. ... what most people don't seem to see is that lightning is the dark equivelant of the most elite force power.

nobody BUT the empiror would really beable to eminate a fan of lightning like in the games.... actually i thought that force lightning was so powerful that ONLY the empiror could use it... when dooku used it i was like WAAAT!! NO WAY!! . but then again he is the apprentise of the most powerful sith there has ever been.

i can't quite remember, but didn't yoda train obi wan for some time aswell?

i thought using the saber to block it was cool. Yoda took it in so he could reflect it. what's dooku to lose if the opposition may block it... on the other hand if the opposition can reflect it then thats your que to ignite your lightsaber. hehehe

to your statement about luke skywalker, even if he'd kept his saber i he would have had the knowledge of the force to do this. he definately had the power... but not the knowledge. so it would've made little difference.

just my 2 cents :D

Rockstar, gee, duh ... you think? Believe me, I know far more about that topic than you give me credit - I could talk for hours about it.

But if you'll read what I said, I wasn't commenting on why Luke did it. Rather, I was speaking to the fact that if Luke had know that the Emperor was going to fry him, and that all he had to do was to simply bring up his lightsaber, he may have thought twice about demonstrating, in such a reckless manner, his defiance of the Emperor, and his determination and love for his father.

One could say the reason Yoda tosses the lightning back is because it was something that showed he was more powerful (he didn't just block it, he USED it as a weapon!). It also put off his taking out his lightsaber for dramatic effect (since so many probably didn't fully grasp that Yoda would be a full fledged acrobatic duelist... except those who read the spoilers of course!).

The whole "blocking lightning with a lightsaber" bit actually comes from the EU. In Timothy Zahn's first trilogy of books Luke block's Joruus C'Baoth's lightning with his lightsaber.

There may be other examples. I don't know if Lucas himself was influenced by this, but I can't help but think that he was (just as the double bladed lightsaber came from the EU, from Exar Kunn, and other examples).

The trouble with blocking lightning with the saber, is that people could just keep their saber out all the time and be virtually immune to lightning, making the power even more useless than it already is (in the face of absorb for example). It could be made to work, but I think its taking the "it has to be just like the movies" a little too far past the point of game balance and doing it just for its own sake.

How they could do it (just to make a nod to AOTC and the EU) would be to have it so that if you are using absorb, but have your saber ignited, it would show an animation of you automatically blocking it with your blade, and if you didn't have it on, you'd block it with your hands like Yoda did (but toss it back? why not just use your own lightning?).

Anyway, there comes a point when imitating the movies too much takes away from the gameplay by making it unnecessarily complicated just for a few "wow" visual effects.

those that say that force absorb should make the jedi bring up his saber....... WTF IS THE POINT of blocking it when you can convert it into force energy you can use

i agree that to block lightning automatically would just suck

i think that if it should be blockable, lightning should have to be blocked manually and at hte cost of force energy

tho some agree and others disagree. i think that the problem with lightning RAKING up the kills should be solved...

i still think that the dark side should be able to counter lightning by using their lightning, and it should cancel out

and the lightside should be able to absorb and reflect lightning. and the reflected lighting should be able to be countered by hte dark lighting (the dark would outpower tho, because the darky has more force than the lighty has absorbed energy)

still, any solution to stop lighting spammers. i just don't like newbies being able to get frags in FFA's so easily i guess

Archived