Home

First screens of Max Payne 2.

I don't know what to say about the second one! I have been digging the net to find some more info but I didn't find anything useful. However, I agree with you Crounchy! He sure doesn't look like Max Payne and I most certainly don't know the plot. The only thing I am sure is that I hope this one is going to have a good plot!

-Gabriel

Hopefully the story will not be as horribly cliched as the first one. Some say that it's okay to have crappy dialogue because Max Payne was meant to be a self-concious parody, but that's complete nonsense in my opinion. The only self-concious bit is

when he thinks he's inside a game

. It would also be nice if the story won't be told in contrived ways like that top-level maffia correspondence that's been casually left behind just so Max can pick it up and unravel the mystery. What was the mystery, anyway? Max Payne has one of the most convoluted plotlines in gaming history.

That having said, I thought the atmosphere of the game was pretty damn good. The larger narrative structure was quite nice too, with the flashback and dream things going on. If the second game manages to keep that, while dramatically improving the acting and dialogue, I think I'm going to enjoy it a lot. The gameplay of the first game made you feel like you're a bad ass kung fu fighting machine that no one wants to mess with, which is exactly what action games should strive for.

Oh, god those dream levels, or more accurately the platform and maze level, were boring as hell!

I sure hope they don't include those levels in the same form in the sequels.

They'd have been alright, if the follow the blood-maze and the endless, excact-same looking, maze hadn't been used.

New pictures, and PC Zone has a preview on it in its newest issue.

Apparently, the title refers also to the period of the year that the game takes place in, Fall. And those worrying the love story will overshadow the dark, gritty atmosphere of the first one will have nothing to fear. And, the story is much deeper this time, and will not be presented completely through the comic-style of the first one. It will be more integrated into the gameplay.

And lastly, the bald dude is apparently Max's new partner.

EDIT: Right, the link. Silly me. http://www.fragland.net/index.php?page=screenshots&gid=1327

Archived