Home

Star War Galaxies Review

nahmed

Yeah... I don't think this has been the best week for LucasArts. I have to agree, however. I had a chance to play the game at the Beta 2 and 3 stage, and I just didn't find it to be very fun at all. Granted, it's not my kind of game, but still...

It's a little worrysome, because I think they have a lot invested in Galaxies. I believe they said they designed it for the next generation of PC's, because they thought it would have a long shelf life. Plus, it's been in production for over three years.

Let's take a look at the status of things...

Emperor's Tomb: Good game, sold well.

RTX Red Rock: Considered disappointing, LucasArts will take a bath on this.

Galaxies: Buggy, not very fun. Memberships may drop off?

KOTOR: Most likely rocks, will probably sell very well.

Gladius: Hard to say. Might sell decent, I suppose.

SWON: Will probably be decent at the very least.

Jedi Academy: Will sell great and probably be fun.

Armed & Dangerous: I'm betting it will be very good, but will it sell?

Wrath: I don't have a clue.

Rebel Strike: Probably will be a hit.

Republic Commando: Who the hell knows?

Full Throttle 2: Hmmmm...

Sam and Max 2: Sure, the fans will probably dig it, but I don't see it being a huge hit commercially

So... looks like all of the in-house original titles are a little iffy, while most of the out-of-house games will do fine. This is a little disturbing to me.

It does make one wonder, doesn't it? Have LucasArts totally lost the grip as a developer? Are they turning into a publisher? I hope this is not the fact and that they will deliver us at least some decent games in the next year or so. But you're right, this is disturbing indeed.

Armed & Dangerous: I'm betting it will be very good, but will it sell?

[/b]

I'll be very disappointed if this game doesn't do well. It looks like such a kick-ass game, and will probably do well for LucasArts, but it doesn't seem to be getting the kind of attention it should be getting. I'm afraid it'll go down in history like Grim Fandango. One of the best games ever on any platform from any company in the entire galaxy, but poor marketing resulted in low sales. As for Full Throttle 2, I'm not very impressed, and frankly disappointed with the screenshots and trailer.

However, to get back on track with SWG, I'm actually very surprised about this news! I heard about the pricing schedule from redvsblue.com, and I knew right then and there the game wouldn't do well. Those prices are ridiculously high. But still, I didn't think the actually game itself would bring it down. How sad; it had the potential to be something great.

I've heard plenty of people (weird RPG-loving people, mostly) who are very very excited about Gladius. And am I the only one who thinks the graphics are nice? Gladius totally has the potential to be not a stinker. :evanpiel:

I guess RTX proves that even a veteran game designer can write two stinkers in a row. Well, maybe that's a little unfair to Hal Barwood. Most of RTX' problems are in the implementation, apparently.

LucasArts is a bit of a mixed bag at the moment. I'm hoping that it's just a mountain they still have to climb since they decided to turn the company around a couple of years ago. You can't expect a company to change overnight. Then again, I'm getting impatient. I want to see some true triple-A stuff from LucasArts' own development teams.

Gladius just doesn't look appealing at all, if anything, I'm confused. Armed and Dangerous definitely deserves a place on the "Reasons to get an Xbox" list, but I'm just a poor boy with a Gamecube.

Rebel Strike will be premier league though, and I'm not one to get excited about Star Wars titles. I shall definitely be grabbing that.

The last LucasArts developed game I played was EMI. :~

Originally posted by scabb

Gladius just doesn't look appealing at all, if anything, I'm confused.

I actually thought the same way at first, it didn't feel very LucasArts-y, and it was an all around ugly game. But then I played the demo and found that it was mildly amusing. I won't be spending fifty bucks on it, but I can see how some people are willing to. Nice graphics and nice gameplay. Maybe I'll buy it some day went the price is significantly lowered.

And as for "AAA Material", it was probably before episode one. The only Game based on the Phantom Menace I even kind of liked was Star Wars racer. I'd have to say last truly outstanding game was Grim Fandango. I was deeply disappointed in EMI.

Originally posted by Marek

I guess RTX proves that even a veteran game designer can write two stinkers in a row.

It's been more than two now, hasn't it? Big Sky Troopers, Indy Desktop Adventures, and Yoda Stories? I was under the impression that none of those games sold well at all. I mean, can he really be considered a veteran at this point if he's only made one successfull game?

Don't get me wrong. I'll always have respect for Hal Barwood because of Fate of Atlantis, but I'd be a little surprised if he continues to work at LucasArts after this.

And yes, Gladius looks a lot better now than it did last year. After the E3 2003 demo, I have a little more faith in it.

Rest assured that if the game is as bad as the reviews say then LA and SOE were WELL aware of how it would be received upon release.

Edit: Ok, I've just read a lot more reviews of this game and one thing is plainfully clear: The game is completely unfinished, however it does have the potential to be fun if they ever complete it.

Bugs ahoy and, get this, NO VEHICLES.

Not, SOME vehicles, but NO vehicles. Nothing. Not a Landspeeder, not a Bantha, not even an obliging Wookiee, NOTHING. The ENTIRE game is on FOOT. This means it apparently takes LITERALLY 40 minutes to walk to a location to complete a 'mission' only to find that the mission is bugged and there's nothing there.

The word on the street is: Wait 6 months and see how it's looking then before buying.

Here's a parting quote from one of the kinder reviews out there (it got 77%):

It's really obvious who's behind most of the decisions behind Star Wars Galaxies: The marketing department. This game, from start to finish, was designed to suck every last nickel and dime from the player that Sony Interactive possibly could. From paying $5 for the beta cd (taboo in principle - beta testers are doing the company a favor by testing their game, or at least thats the way it used to be) to the higher than average $15/mo fee to the fact that Sony intentionally limited the number of CDs produced (as stated by the development team) so that if you haven't already bought a copy of Star Wars Galaxies, you have to buy the collector's addition (at least on the Sony site, SWG standard edition is sold out; the collector's edition weighs in at a hefty $80, but you get free shipping and handling! w00t).

~ John

Originally posted by telarium

It's been more than two now, hasn't it? Big Sky Troopers, Indy Desktop Adventures, and Yoda Stories?

Whoah he wrote those?! I never realized. I'm sorry but that makes me sad. I share your sentiments.

Archived