Home

Favourite Monkey Island

This forum needs some more activity so I'll bring an old topic. All MI forums have or had a topic like this.

What is you favourite Monkey Island game and why?

I'll start.

The third Monkey Island game I played was The Curse of Monkey Island and I got hooked to Monkey Island world since then. What stands out in this game are probably the backgrounds and the music. I think Bill Tiller made an excellent job as Lead Background Artist. The music also fits the game very well.

The only thing I would probably change is the Guybrush look and maybe the roller coaster of death (I didn't like that last part).

Your turn!

My turn indeed:

I played each of the four Monkey Island games shortly after they were released and in the correct order. It's hard to pick a favourite though and my opinion changes from time to time as well. I thought of CMI as my favourite for quite a long time until I realized that the main reason why I liked it so much was the fact that there were almost six years of Monkey-Island-free-time between LCR and CMI. On second thought I decided to call LCR my favourite - not at all original, but true. I like it because of its lenght, the mixture of harder and easier puzzles, the music and the storyline featuring the LeChuck = Guybrush's brother thing and the confusing but yet awesome ending.

Alright, that's pretty much everything I can say about this...

The first Monkey Island game I played was the first one.

It is my favourite because of the age I was. I was 9/10 and I loved the game from start to finish. Never played or had anything piratey at all and just found it the best thing ever :)

I can't choose. It's too hard.

The 1st game I played: MI4 - Although many disliked it, I didn't that much. Guybrush got a whole new experience and so have the players. The story keeps going with a few disadjustments that could have been better. What should be changed is: a part of the story, some of the graphics and add a point 'n click control.

The 2nd game I played: MI2 - Really funny, classic, has a good and Monkey Islandish-like story, very approprated for the true MI fans. The difficulty helps, too, and the adventure of it. New characters are introduced, too.

The 3rd game I played: MI3 - Great humor, really nice music, not-so-bad graphics, introduction of the characters' voices and a great new opening for the Monkey Island. Characters and story are important to this, too.

The 4th game I played: MI1 - The start, the first of all, the beginning, what makes every other come true! You just gotta love it. Humor, characters and story - really good. Great game, pratically a :eek: game.

Aha, yes. It has to be Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge for me. I just think it's got the best music, puzzles and atmosphere. :)

I actually played the first three games at the same time, heh. I kind of wished I hadn't though, because for instance I hadn't got to a bit in Mi2 yet which would explain that joke in CMI. It was still funny though, once I got to the part in the other game which explains the joke in the next game. :)

The first MI game I ever played was MI4, and I thought it was great. Then I played MI1, it was awesome too. Just last night I finished CMI, and was of course very dissapointed when it ended, because you never want good games to end.

-------------------------------------------------

I have yet to play MI2, LCR, and as i've heard from many of you, i'm missing out. So i've got to get started on that soon.

What I think is cool about playing the games out of order, is that every once and while an inside joke from a newer MI will make sence because you will understand what it is reffering to in the older game you are playing (ei: the undying insult dating back to MI1: "Oh yeah, well you fight like a cow!")

Favorite game?: MI4 (so far)

Curse of Monkey Island, because it was he first MI-Game I ever played and which got me hooked up to all the other MI-games (which there were SOMI and LCR, cause EMI was not published then)

I just love the Art, especially the characters, and the music. Because that all adds up to a certain atmosphere which is so piratey-typical for MI.

SoMI was by far my favorite. I was 9 or 10 when i played it first and the atmosphere of the game is what sets it apart from all the others.. its much darker and mysterious, yet lighthearted at the same time. i think it had something to do with all those dark blue/purple backgrounds on melee island.. i dunno tho, its just exsquisite

You all should know me around the Monkey sland community...I am the one who is rebelious against the Curse and Escape. I am one of the people who was there from the beginning, not someone who was raised on CMI then EFMI then to discover "ancient SMI and MI2:LR"

Graphics wern't true to the original games and the stories were twice as bad ,times 100 for EFMI

OK

The best one was Monkey Island 2: LéChuck's Revenge.

This is because it involved a great adventure, many places and more characters to meet and interact with. The story was one NOT TO BE MESSED with!!Ron, I'm still not going to forgive you for leaving the LucasArts™ team!!!(leaving those idiots to screw with YOUR creation. I'm sure George Washington would not be happy if he awoke from his grave and discovered Monkeys running the White House {{not that there arn't!!!!}})

MI2 still stands today as one of the most cleverly written, intelligent and pretty adventure titles ever. Every puzzle had some amount of logic to it, which is something I haven't seen in any other adventure title, period. The animation is great, the Schafer jokes are awesome, it's just a completely solid title.

No insult swordfighting, either.

I love mi3 because of the bottomless mug policy. And that place doesn't have riddles like "throw the fish to the cemetry and there will be a batman cave comin out from nowhere". yeah. It was sorta easy enough for dummiedummie like me.:rolleyes:

Mi3 is lovely, whit dandruff and Pollo and Guybrush being a kid thingies. :rolleyes:

I will list in order of best-to-least.

Curse of Monkey Island: First MI game I bought. Simply loved it. I found myself humming the pirate song, I loved the way Guybrush got out of the crypt, but was TOO SHORT!!!

Monkey Island 2: Third MI game I bought. This would've been my favorite MI game except for that lame ending. I was even more disappointed when I found it didn't connect to CMI, having already beat CMI. But other than that, it was great and funny!

Secret of Monkey Island: Second MI game I bought. I found the puzzles a bit harder and less obvious (especially using the flower on the meat to poison the dogs and getting Stan to sell you a ship), but they were the funniest. I found myself laughing so hard I couldn't breathe when I first saw Guybrush wreck Elaine's mansion.

Escape from Monkey Island: Last MI game I bought. Sure it had great graphics, music, sound, etc. but compared to the others, it was bland. The story didn't seem MI-ish (too much legal talk for me) and seemed better suited for Sam and Max. This is my least favorite.

P.S. If Ron Gilbert every released MI3a, IT would be my favorite.

P.P.S. I'm new here!

I'm pretty much new here too :D

It's really hard to choose a favourite game because in my opinion the first three were so good! Number 4 does not even get a look in.

After much consideration, i'd have to say the Secret of Monkey Island. I use to play it with my friend on his Amiga when i was just a wee boy, and it was so much fun staying up all night trying to solve the puzzles then going mad when the disks refused to work. *sigh* ah memories...

As a game itself i think that it benefits from being the first, everything seems so special and new. After playing it through again several times i *still* find it the funniest and generally the most entertaing experiance of the first three games, but i will remind you it was a hard choice as the first three games are great :D

(my order of preferance)

1/Secret of Monkey Island

2/Le Chucks revenge

3/Curse of Monkey Island

4/*THAT* game.

Nah...many out there would say that MI2 is the best Monkey Island game out there. You may be right, but in my opinion, "The Secret of Monkey Island" takes the cake easily. To think back of the many, many great fun things to be done, the adventure, THE ADVENTURE(MI3 and MI4 are lacking that feel) and all of the glorious new characters, places, and sayings. This game started it all off, and started it all of well. Long live Monkey Island.

Somi

Simply cause I stuck with it so long. I was probably about 6 or 7 when we got it, and loved it. It was 1 of 2 CDs that came with our first CD-player. SOMI and Loom. Those games are freakin' awesome! I beat Loom easy enough, but SOMI, man. That darn dam! It took me 3 or 4 years to find it. I got to the point of I couldn't do anything else, and I didn't realize you could interact with the dam... Gee, don't I feel stupid. Once I even read the monkey Herman's journal over 1000 times trying to get him to follow me. My brother gave up on it when we couldn't figure out what to do. He hasn't ever played any of the other games. One night I by chance accidentally moved the cursor over the dam, and from there, it was obvious. For 3 years it illuded me! Yikes! 3 years of worthless speculations and what ifs... 3 years of drawings. Gee, feels kind of stupid. The next game I got was EMI. It was so short! And what's with the puzzles? What am I saying? What puzzles? Then I got CMI... Decent. Then, after about 8 years of first getting SOMI, the whole time knowing it was out, but never being able to convince my parents to get it: I got LCR. I tried for years to get my parents to buy it at LucasArts.com, but they wouldn't. A lot of holes were filled in, but there's still a lot of holes left. This is what inspired The Legend of Monkey Island. No not the site, my fan-fic. No know holes in the story! Well, there won't be...

I don't even remember where we got the MI games, but it was one of the best things that ever happened to me.I played MI1, then started MI2, got stuck on Scabb Island, gave up, and started MI3. Then I sorta wondered how Guybrush ended up floating in a bumpercar, so I found a walkthrough online and kinda finished MI2 and MI3 at the same time. A long time later, I managed to make my first online purchase, which was MI4.

All this is to say, I'd have to put MI1 first, MI3 second, MI4 third, and MI2 fourth.

MI1 characterizes the very atmosphere of the Monkey Island series, which the last three only dimly reflect.

MI2's ending sucked, and it's overall darker nature didn't make it very enjoyable. Also, I missed the swordfighting.

MI3 is much more lighthearted than MI2, and I think they did as good a job explaining the ending of MI2 as is possible. The fact that it runs on most computers is a big plus.

MI4's interface really confused me for a long time, until I figured out that Page up and Page down scroll through the things at the bottom of the screen. It's plot, while not ingenious, is kind of fun. It's length is good too, and Monkey Kombat is really fun.

Archived