Home

Why is it OK to criticize religion (i.e. Christianity)?

mr116

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Thrackan Solo

Yeah but you called him names ITS AGAINST THE RULES!!!:mad:

The rules are flawed.

EDIT: Actually I need to rephrase that. My flaw in my statement of oppinion on Christianity was referring said oppinion to participants of the thread. I let my emotions towards socalled Christians lead me astray, not from my oppinion of course, but in the writing of them.

Originally posted by Thrackan Solo

America is a christian dominated country and we allow people of other religions to live here and practice there beliefs.

But In Muslim countries, christians are persecuted and killed for spreading there beliefs so dont say that we are closeminded religion. [/b]

the thread is about christians .. otherwise i would have mentioned these muslimic-folks too.

The most problem with the most religions is .. they dont let their people have an own mind and opinion. nearly everything is given.

the role of the woman in most religions is .. let's just far behind time. So does the role of the man too.

Knowledge and science.. these are things which hardly fits to 'religious concerns'

so i dont have to speak about a special religion .. i just have to count on things like we have the year 2003 guys.. there are things going on in this world.. and the only thing you mind to do is to disturb our parlament with shouting "read the bible", "being gay is sin" (the major of berlin is gay.) "be shameful"

:confused: Err? Hello?

Okay... per C'Jais' warning, all of the meaningless, off-topic bickering that masquaraded as posts to this thread have been vanquished.

The topic is, "Why is it okay to bash Christians?"

A very touchy subject to discuss without loosing some semblance of reason and seriousness, so from this post on, try to validate your thoughts and feelings rather than simply tossing them in.

Cite some reference that someone of the opposing viewpoint can rebute or attempt to respond to.

Sadly, I dont think people are mature enough to discuss this like gentlemen(women). Too many people try to take the moral highground and look down their noses at those who dont agree.

I think there are a few reasons why more people bash christianity here.

I think the big thing is that Christians (more specifically, the Catholic church) have a flat out horrible track record. More awful things have been done in the name of god than you can shake a stick at.

This is really the case with most major religions. But Christianity is the major religion of most highly established countrys, of which most of the members here are part of. It tends to get shoved in a lot of peoples faces, and they begin questioning it. They look at it's history, and off it goes....

A lot of christians here get "bashing" confused with "discussing and questioning." I've seen countless people, both on and off the boards, ask for various changes in things because it "offends" them, often on religious basis. I sometimes wonder how seeing something you dont agree with is offensive, but thats a different thread.

But when someone questions your religion, I dont think they're bashing it. Just questioning it.

There are valid reasons why many now oppose christianity. To state one faction. The satanic Church. Many christians will have you believe we worship Satan, when if you do your studies (as opposed to just listening to a preacher) you will find that we do not. My point being, many people see the contridictions in christianity. We have entered a digital age, which has brought us so much closer together. And because of that, many people are deciding for themselves what to believe. The difference between satanists and christians are as so. Christians purely state that you should deny any earthly pleasures. Yet while doing that, you deny what makes you human. That is what many of us see as flawed with christianity. Which is why many people have left the faith. Not to mention the christians stand on gender and Homosexuality. One last thing, I believe it has become "cool" to bash chrisitans these days. Almost a trend. And that's truely sad. With so many people attacking them, it must be hard for them to worship their god in peace. As a person with completely opposite beliefs than christians, I can state so many flaws in their books and beliefs. But, in doing that, I would be widening the gap between satanists and christians further. I can personally say that I have met very few actual satanists that go out of their way to oppose chrisitans. In closing, this fad of christian bashing will pass in time.

im catholic, a christion denomination, and we are not taught that other religions are the wrong ones, we are taught to beleive that we all warship the same god, with different ways. im not a strict catholic, havent gone to church in a long time, but i go to a catholic school. as for not hving simple pleasures that is not true, i can do whatever, and rthey dont say if you do this you wil go to hell!!!! booga booga, thata mainly the born agains who arnt alloud to drink and stuff, not all christians.

Originally posted by daring dueler

im catholic, a christion denomination, and we are not taught that other religions are the wrong ones, we are taught to beleive that we all warship the same god, with different ways. im not a strict catholic, havent gone to church in a long time, but i go to a catholic school. as for not hving simple pleasures that is not true, i can do whatever, and rthey dont say if you do this you wil go to hell!!!! booga booga, thata mainly the born agains who arnt alloud to drink and stuff, not all christians.

Agrred

Answering to the topic. It's not OK. I don't think it's ok to bash any religion, no matter what it is.

Why is it OK to bash Christianity?

Because it offers a definite truth about existence that constitutes a barrier in front of intellectual insight and enlightenment. That is my basic beef with Christianity.

As for the vast millions of hypocrites calling themselves Christians, that's quite a different matter....

Wisdom really ought to be a highly contagious disease.

Originally posted by Jubatus

As for the vast millions of hypocrites calling themselves Christians, that's quite a different matter....

You must understand that it is my oppinion that hypocritical Christians are a serious crime to mankind, the crime being in essence that of serving as a barrier in front of intellectual progress, and I wrote it as such. In this post, from where the quote is taken, I did not use unnecessary namecalling. Hypocrisy is the word that covers my view on many selfnamed Christians; your antagony against it resembles the antagonism many have against the word ignorance. And that was not written as some hidden insult (even more not so in that I do not regard ignorance as an insult, merely a description of an observation), just an observation sprang to mind.

So please, cease the unnecessary spamming as it is against the rules of the Senate. An honest and sincere request. Allow the debate to continue beyond this hurdle.

well dudes,

I have this to say:-

Christian bashing as such is wrong, its is wrong to bash anyone for holding a certain point of view even if they are wrong, however it would appear that it is viewed by some that it is wrong to question the word of the lord.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it not right that we question that which is given as being unshakably true? We would still be living on a flat earth if so. If something is truly righteous then surely it can withstand scrutiny at every level and indeed scrutiny should re-enforce it's righteousness and hence be encouraged?

To state that the lord's word is correct without questioning is foolhardy in my view. The problem is that the written word of the bible has time and time again been proven wrong, contradictory and in turn entirely hypocritical.

I've at first hand witnessed this hypocrisy and have seen proof with my own eyes that rock to the very core of the bible, yet to question the very word of god is wrong? Perhaps it is if you are a christian whose faith is based on following the word of god without questioning it. For the rest of us questioning god is and always will be fair game for as long as the christian faith imposes cultural and moral obligations that may or may not be righteous or indeed just.

The title of this thread spoke to me when I read it, because in the past I have thought of posting this same thread, but I chose not to because I knew the kinds of things that would be said.....much of it has already been said I see.

I do not understand why discrimination against religous people is considered okay in a society where discrimination is so forcefully looked down upon. I understand that being religious is a choice, I can choose to be Christian, whereas a given race is not a choice, and homosexuality is not a choice. But it is STILL discrimination against a certain group of peoples who have not necissarily done anything wrong.

Accusing christians of being evil based on acts carried out by christians in the name of God is akin to ME deciding that ALL Middle Easterners are Vile and Evil because Osama Bin Laden had airplanes flown into our World Trade Towers.

Also, attacking a person for making this choice strikes me as arrogance. You have to assume that you must of course be smarter than all of them, because they chose this and you did not. But in the case of religion, there is no way on knowing. All current evidence we have, of course, is that there very well could be no God. We have no proof of God. But we have no proof of NO God either. Therefore, your opinion is JUST as valid as ours. But that makes our opinoin just as valid as yours.

So perhaps it would be in the best interests of everyone here if all such hositilities were ended, all the Christians here can forgive everyone who has personally insulted us, all those who insulted us can appologize, and everyone else can just sit around and watch to see what kind of reaction my suggestion will cause :p;)

First of all ET (or do you prefer the shortened Muad? ;)), you have to realize that a f*ckwit is still a f*ckwit, religious backing or not. To put it bluntly.

I don't care if someone believes that there's a God that cares deeply about homosexuality being regarded as "unnatural", unfit, weird or plain wrong - they're not one bit better than those who think racial differences are bad and the aryan race superior, but they still respect each and every black person for the one he is.

He's not. There's always this underlying prejudice, even if the person loudly proclaims that "he hates the colour, but loves the person". Same thing with homosexuals. It just doesn't work, and I don't care if said person is religious or not - he's being respectless to that person's nature, something he's just not in control of. Again, same thing if someone respected you "as a person", but neatly looked down on your love for your dog or girlfriend.

Same thing with the inexcusable "creation" mumbo jumbo - I don't care if you have a 2000 year old fairy tale that says otherwise - you better start dishing up some real facts and tested theories or I'm not gonna take you seriously at all.

And all this goes double for when someone tries hard to implement his jingoist, racist viewpoints in the law. Again, religious backing or not. That the church has such unwavering, blind support from many people allows it to do many of these things, and that's not even digging into how the organizations bully its members mentally into submission.

Sorry, looks like I flied off the handle there again - it's mostly a problem of empathy. Empathy is the ability to see another's viewpoint, as if you were in his shoes. Something which religious people are notoriously incompetent at. The problem is that Christians have a hard time understanding that their neighbors might not want to become Christians themselves and don't care about their rantings. They can't comprehend that other people might not be very interested in seeing impartial laws changed to suit their bias.

Then, we have the die-hard atheist, who have a tendency to look down on Christians for following an organization with a core of "logic" different from their own. They can't imagine believing in a god, and sometimes have this nasty habit of yelling God's apparent inexistence in their face, when they're unaware that these people *need* their beliefs, just as these atheist unwittingly need the belief that they somehow matter as well. I am of the *belief* that we all have beliefs that makes us important to ourselves - for Christians, this has been expanded to include God, but it' still the fundamentally same. Some atheists think their faith in themself and themself alone makes them morally superior to Christians, and for this they should be spanked. I find the Christian ideals of sacrifice for Christ and realizing of one's own imperfection fascinating, yet their idea of salvation through Christ alone is less sympathetic to me (though I can understand it well enough).

Empathy, my friends.

Yes, I'm aware of my own prejudice, sweeping generalizations and somewhat superior attitude - but I have this here online personality test that says I'm bad at practicing what I preach ;)

Originally posted by C'jais

First of all ET (or do you prefer the shortened Muad? ;)),

You will refer to me as The Kwisatz Haderach, b**** ;) J/K

You can call me ET or Muad if you want. I probably won't keep this name for TOO long, but who knows. I kind of like it..hmmm.

*edit-almost forgot the whole point of my post*

I understand that being an idiot is not justified if you are a christian as well, I'm just saying I dont like the way that it is acceptable to discriminate against christians as a group, or even to judge us as a group.

True, afterall, christians are each different. With individual views on even their own religion.

*edit* I am personally not a christian, but that is indeed a worth while comment to make. Too many people bunch christians together, and that's as bad as saying all germans are nazi's, or that all african americans are thugs.

Not even all Christians believe that homosexuality is a sin, myself included. The reason most do is because a few (and I do mean a few...in fact only one comes to mind at the moment) verses forbid it, and there is much argument on whether those verses were translated properly in the original English version (which most other countries have used as a basis rather than the original Greek and Hebrew). A simple online search will show you what I'm talking about. I must decline to post a better explanation myself at the moment, because I'm far too tired. (not to mention that it's getting a bit off topic :D)

Note: This doesn't apply to Catholicism, because if you're a 'true' Catholic, you must believe homosexuality is a sin, because the Pope said so. :dozey:

I believe it is fine to bash anything, but not anyone...and it's better to be careful what you say, if you want to be kind.

Note: This doesn't apply to Catholicism, because if you're a 'true' Catholic, you must believe homosexuality is a sin, because the Pope said so.

I'm Catholic, and I don't believe that. I believe that its not a sin if you decide to have a different life style, as long as it isn't hurting anyone else.

Archived