Home

Bad News for JA????

fallen[fk]

The new PCGamer is out with their reviews of the hottest 20 games at E3. Along with the 20 games they reviewed from E3 they included, as usual, a "honorable mention" section. Nowhere in the 20 games reviewed or the "honorable mention" section was Jedi Academy covered. Is this a bad sign for what is to come?

What are you talking about? Republic Commando was neither shown at E3 nor in the 20 games in PCGamer. I am inclined to believe that JA was probably very close to being in the 20 games, but there were already two Lucasarts games in the previews, and there wasn't room for it.

When it comes to reviews be it music, games, movies, books I follow the universal rule of "who gives a **** about reviews.”

Some of the most highly recommended “must have/see” things like 99% of all pop music, and most of the recent Hollywood “blockbusters” have been total dog crap but got stellar reviews.

Games are no different. I have plopped down many a 49.99 for something only to play it once and never touch it again, yet the reviews made it sound spectacular.

Black & White

Unreal 2

Quake 3 Team Arena

Tribes 2

AvP 2 (and that crappy expansion)

Hell I can't even begin to name all the cd's I have sitting here that were "the next big thing" but flopped because the final product was all hype.

Originally posted by Gabrobot

What are you talking about? Republic Commando was neither shown at E3 nor in the 20 games in PCGamer. I am inclined to believe that JA was probably very close to being in the 20 games, but there were already two Lucasarts games in the previews, and there wasn't room for it.

Exactly right my friend. There's a whole process to choosing them. They want to mention the fantastic Lucas arts games coming out, but they have to be fair to other great games. Also, it is true that adding things to a game and calling it another isn't really worthy of making the top 20. Even if I do already love JA. No matter though, I'm still going to buy it. Not going to let some silly top 20 list scare me away. On with JA.

Jedi Academy will still be good. IKt could just be there opinion that it isn't.

Originally posted by Mr.Joshua

You paid for Unreal 2? UJ UJ UJ, shoulda asked me, I coulda got it for you for free. :)

Don't get illegal and off-topic.

I'm not really sure when E3 was, but remember that JA is still in development, so at E3 people didin't see something even close to the final product. I'll start giving relevence to reviews a little closer to the release date. :)

Imo stands for "In my opinion" Imho means "in my honest opinion"

Still, JA will be a full game, not jsut an expansion like alot of you are making out. At first it was an expansion but once they realised the new tuff being introduced i think they changed their minds

We have more maps, bigger maps, some new weapons, 2 extra sabers, more moves, more enemies, better game-types, better graphics etc. Infact, all those things are a list from jk1-jk2 if you've noticed. I don't think it will be what happened with IGI2 (no-one can tell the difference between the games) ;)

It probably doesn't reflect on the game itself, but it may point to a PR problem. I wonder if "the industry" is really seeing this as a new game or an enhanced expansion. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the reviews banged on it because it's not different enough to warrant laying out $50 as if it were a whole new game. I think it might have been overshadowed by galaxies quite a bit, and KOTOR a little as well since these are new forays for the SW world. JA just isn't new enough.

I stopped listening to PC Gamer when they got their new management. Those mags used to be a good 3cm thick, but now they're like 0.5cm and they're all ads. Plus the reviewers aren't as good as the old crew.

Besides, E3 had so much to show this year, it's not surprising that this game didn't get a big mention. HL2.... this game just doesn't compete, I'm afraid.

As others have said, there were a lot of good games announced, or with more information at E3, so there are a lot of good games that wouldn't even get a sniff at a top 20 list. I don't think it's bad news if they didn't make a list in PC Gamer. I prefer to judge games on their own merits...rather than rely on someone else's opinion, anyway. So far I believe JA will be a good solid enjoyable game.

I also agree with the point that some games have been really hyped in the past, and placed on a pedestal by some reviewer, and then the final game turns out to be a steaming pile of bantha poodoo. Or the concensus is that a game sucks, but it sells well.

I'll bide my time and wait to play the game before I judge it as good or bad...

Originally posted by ZBomber

Jedi Academy will still be good. IKt could just be there opinion that it isn't.

Don't get illegal and off-topic.

Who said anything about illegal? My clan is sponsored we get free games and crap all the time.

who the **** cares what the reviews say, i read a review for T3 that said it was a brainless movie but when i watched it was badass because arnold killed **** and blew stuff up and made big noises, reviewers have thier own opinions :atat:

In defense of reviews - which of course anyone creates whenever they spout off an opinion online - I read them - usually several of them. I want to know if I'm laying out $50 that I'm gonna have fun. After reading all the reviews of the Enter the Matrix I decided it wasn't something I wanted to play so I wasn't going to buy it. There's usually more to a review than just the score too, and it's good to read it through to see if the reviewer says, "if your idea of fun is jumping around with a glowing light-stick lopping of heads, then get this game. But if like me, you want tactical gameplay with real-life physics, avoid it like the plague - score one star."

Very true, it is important to read the review to find out why they didn't like it. It might be because it was very buggy, or it mi8ght be because it didn't provide the type of gameplay they were looking for...

Originally posted by Emon

I think you all are missing the point. Even if they wanted to put it in their top 20 thing, they couldn't because they didn't know anything about it.

But this is from E3 where they at least saw a demonstration of it, and it was being compared to other games at E3. :)

However, those games were at various stages of development, so I think comparisons like this are a little unfair.

Archived